Encyclicals

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cruxis117
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cruxis117

Guest
Are these “infallible”? I’m aware of the Magisterium and of Ex Cathedra, but I mean when these are issued from the Pope.
 
Are these “infallible”? I’m aware of the Magisterium and of Ex Cathedra, but I mean when these are issued from the Pope.
A document called an “encyclical”, even when issued by the pope, does not mean that every statement within it is infallible, no. However, it may contain an ex cathedra statement, which would be infallible. Or, it might contain or reiterate teachings that qualify as infallible because they were already infallible before the encyclical was written, so of course they are still infallible, but not on account of the encyclical.
 
Agree with Pug. In addition: Papal infallibility was infallibly defined by Vatican I, although of course there was already universal understanding of the dogma even from the very start.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top