Enjoying the result of the sins of others

  • Thread starter Thread starter RedDuke50
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RedDuke50

Guest
I know I have posted a lot here, I am going to get a regular confessor once he comes back from vacation, but I need an answer to this question.

What exactly is enjoying the result of someone’s sin? I have read somewhere that it is like participating in the sins of others. Any examples would be appreciated.

I am asking because today people are coming to my house and two of them are immoral. One of the people I live with (a family member) likes them (the immoral people) and might participate in their sins (because I think he has before). I know that if I don’t go and see the guests, he will anyway. So, because he will see the guests whether I go or not, I am allowed to go see them because I can’t stop him. But would it be enjoying the result of my family member’s sin if I go see the guests since he will whether I do or not?
Thanks (Please let me know if my post is confusing.)
 
This is a pretty vague scenario. It would depend on what the immoral people did, and what accommodations are being afforded them. If a cohabitating couple came over for dinner and did not spend the night, you’re not cooperating in their sin. If two people robbed a bank and are on the lam and come over for dinner, you are cooperating in their sin by not reporting them to the authorities.

If there is a priest available, even if he’s not your regular confessor, why don’t you give him a call and run the specifics past him for more definitive advice?
 
It could be that someone has been told off and you stand there a little smug because its not you. very human but very real and we have all done it

or it could be

something fallen of the back of a lorry per se

or

someone knicked some booze/cigs/clothes/food and you’re drinking/using it?
 
This is a pretty vague scenario. It would depend on what the immoral people did, and what accommodations are being afforded them. If a cohabitating couple came over for dinner and did not spend the night, you’re not cooperating in their sin. If two people robbed a bank and are on the lam and come over for dinner, you are cooperating in their sin by not reporting them to the authorities.

If there is a priest available, even if he’s not your regular confessor, why don’t you give him a call and run the specifics past him for more definitive advice?
What about the Doctor who treated John Wilkes Booth when he shot Lincoln and was wounded as he ran away? The doctor knew nothing of what Mr Booth had just done but the police arrested the doctor for being accessory to the crime even though he knew nothing about it.
 
So it is only that you get something from their sin?

Because I know that if my family member would not go out to see the guests if I didn’t see them, then I couldn’t go out because then it would allow him to participate in the immoral people’s actions. But since he is going out to see them whether I do or not, I don’t know if I can see the guests or not because I don’t know if that would be enjoying the result of my family member’s sin of going out to see the two immoral people.
I am sorry this is so vague, the people I am talking about are all brothers of mine.

I can’t contact a Priest very easily…
 
This is a pretty vague scenario. It would depend on what the immoral people did, and what accommodations are being afforded them. If a cohabitating couple came over for dinner and did not spend the night, you’re not cooperating in their sin. If two people robbed a bank and are on the lam and come over for dinner, you are cooperating in their sin by not reporting them to the authorities.

If there is a priest available, even if he’s not your regular confessor, why don’t you give him a call and run the specifics past him for more definitive advice?
So if I know someone who is being payed under the table, I should report him to the police?
 
RD:
So if I know someone who is being payed under the table, I should report him to the police?
In general, yes. Although, if you know them, telling them they are wrong and giving them a chance to right their actions may be in order.

To build on the title of the thread and not the actual OP: What constitutes participation? For example, if a theater was built by slaves, is it okay for me to see performances in it? Now I am curious – research time!
 
In general, yes. Although, if you know them, telling them they are wrong and giving them a chance to right their actions may be in order.

To build on the title of the thread and not the actual OP: What constitutes participation? For example, if a theater was built by slaves, is it okay for me to see performances in it? Now I am curious – research time!
Some of the buildings in Washington DC such as the White House, I think, were built using slave labor. So would it still be okay for me to be an American?🤷
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top