Envy question

  • Thread starter Thread starter mymamamary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mymamamary

Guest
Is SPIRITUAL Envy a mortal sin??

Or is Envy in general, material and spiritual, a mortal sin Only if you wish grave harm upon another??
 
I think you worry WAAAAAYYYY too much!!

Talk to a Priest
 
I wouldn’t say spiritual envy is a mortal sin, but it is definatley something we should avoid. If you are talking about yourself being envious of someone who you feel is more spiritual than you, than you actually have no reason to be envious.

I don’t know who you are envious of or if you are even talking about yourself at all, but I do have a story about this. I was once a seminarian and I remember being somewhat envious of one of the other seminarians who seemed to be very pious. One day he was asking about my devotion to my patron and why I felt so attatched to him. I said that it was because he focused so much on helping and praying for other people. Well this seminarian who I thought was so pious went on to explain to me that he disagreed with that. He literally said, “If I can just pray for my own salvation why should I pray for someone else’s?”

One of the priests at the seminary called these types of people members of the OPF, or Order of Pious Frauds.

My point is that there is no reason to be envious of someone’s “spirituality” because, to use a cliche, things are not always what they seem.
 
What did your spiritual director say? Have you spoken to him? Has he given you guidance?

If you haven’t contacted him, you need to do so.

If you do not have a spiritual director, you need to get one.
 
Our young friend, lately you have been posting often about ‘spiritual envy.’

To be so concerned about this is to be focused on an aspect of spiritual life which is taken care of when you focus, not on this detail, with upon love of God and love of others.
Jesus didn’t ‘sum up’ the commandments to speak of ‘spiritual envy’.
What did He focus on?
Love of God, love of others.
Jesus said in Matthew 25 verses 31-46, when He was describing how He will judge souls, that the criteria He will use is our practical love of others. He said He takes practical, *actual, *help and kindness to others as also being given to Him.

Take the mirror away from your eyes, as you appear to be looking in a spiritual mirror quite often. Put the mirror down as it is only causing you harm. One day perhaps you may need to use it more often but for now it almost seems to panic you, and it certainly seems to confuse you.

You live with your family.
Where and how can you be helpful to members of your family, you brother, your parents.
Your kindnesses to them will be more pleasing to God, and more healthy for you mind and your SOUL, than all your worrying about whether the least thing in your life is a sin.

Do good to others, and trust God. Trust God to love you and lead you aright.

I hope you can do this.
Your intentions are good…and we’re not trying to be hard on you.
We want to help, but buying into your fears isn’t helpful.
May God who you love, lead you and guide you as you place your trust in Him.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top