M
MichiganMack
Guest
I’m dating an awesome lady and have been for about 6 months. although I’ve known her for a year. I’ve dated a lot of women and this one could be a keeper. We’re both in our mid-20s with good jobs and similar interests. We met at a church retreat near our Midwest city and we just clicked.
My girlfriend is an amazing woman and her faith is one of the top reasons I say that. She believes, for the right reasons. She is faithful while still being fun. A good mix of sass and holiness.
The biggest difference we have is in how we pursue our faith. I go to mass twice a week and pray a few times a day. If time permits, I’ll join a parish course or bible study. I go to confession about twice a month. I love my parish and will help out whenever they need it. I need a retreat a couple times a year. I tend to take my faith at face value, having struggled with it growing up. That’s about my involvement in the church and it’s enough to make me fulfilled.
My girlfriend goes to mass six times a week, confession weekly, attends retreats about once a month, and goes to any and every parish event she can attend. Still, we spend plenty of time together. She reads a lot of books and blogs on our faith. Her interest is almost at an academic level and I know she loves to ask the “why” far more than I do.
This difference hasn’t been a big deal, but I’m afraid it might become one. I know myself and I know that I don’t want to read long books about the saints or Marian devotions. I really could care less about the Catholic blog chatter and the latest thing in theological controversy. I’m more of a top-level, bottom-line kind of person. I follow the Catechism and believe deeply in a life of obedience and prayer. I try to learn more about my faith as I go but I’m not a scholar of it and don’t intend to be one. My faith is the one area of my life where I’m not a skeptic.
My girlfriend loves to share her knowledge and I learn a lot from her, but I’m usually somewhat lost by her references to treatises from 400 years ago. That doesn’t make me feel stupid, but it does make me wonder if some day she’ll feel unfulfilled by our conversations or that I won’t be “Catholic enough” for her. I’ve suggested that she could become a theologian but she doesn’t want to go back to school. All signs point to me, with a career that is a lot more profitable (and demanding) than hers, becoming the breadwinner in a marriage.
Honestly, some days I just want to walk away and find someone with a similar approach to faith. I feel so blessed to have found this woman but sometimes I think she’ll want to use vacation time for a pilgrimage and I’ll want to go to Aruba instead. I’ve seen wives so involved with the parish that their husbands feel literally abandoned. That scares me because I’ve seen the good men caught in those situations and the anguish it can cause. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing and sometimes I doubt whether my girlfriend knows where that line is. I’m really afraid of signing up for a lifetime commitment and then being a permanent backup plan.
I feel like the honest thing to do is break up and let each of us find better matches. The hardest part is that we have a great relationship now and my doubts are about the future.
I’m on vacation and I keep thinking I need to make a decision before I go back home next week.
My girlfriend is an amazing woman and her faith is one of the top reasons I say that. She believes, for the right reasons. She is faithful while still being fun. A good mix of sass and holiness.
The biggest difference we have is in how we pursue our faith. I go to mass twice a week and pray a few times a day. If time permits, I’ll join a parish course or bible study. I go to confession about twice a month. I love my parish and will help out whenever they need it. I need a retreat a couple times a year. I tend to take my faith at face value, having struggled with it growing up. That’s about my involvement in the church and it’s enough to make me fulfilled.
My girlfriend goes to mass six times a week, confession weekly, attends retreats about once a month, and goes to any and every parish event she can attend. Still, we spend plenty of time together. She reads a lot of books and blogs on our faith. Her interest is almost at an academic level and I know she loves to ask the “why” far more than I do.
This difference hasn’t been a big deal, but I’m afraid it might become one. I know myself and I know that I don’t want to read long books about the saints or Marian devotions. I really could care less about the Catholic blog chatter and the latest thing in theological controversy. I’m more of a top-level, bottom-line kind of person. I follow the Catechism and believe deeply in a life of obedience and prayer. I try to learn more about my faith as I go but I’m not a scholar of it and don’t intend to be one. My faith is the one area of my life where I’m not a skeptic.
My girlfriend loves to share her knowledge and I learn a lot from her, but I’m usually somewhat lost by her references to treatises from 400 years ago. That doesn’t make me feel stupid, but it does make me wonder if some day she’ll feel unfulfilled by our conversations or that I won’t be “Catholic enough” for her. I’ve suggested that she could become a theologian but she doesn’t want to go back to school. All signs point to me, with a career that is a lot more profitable (and demanding) than hers, becoming the breadwinner in a marriage.
Honestly, some days I just want to walk away and find someone with a similar approach to faith. I feel so blessed to have found this woman but sometimes I think she’ll want to use vacation time for a pilgrimage and I’ll want to go to Aruba instead. I’ve seen wives so involved with the parish that their husbands feel literally abandoned. That scares me because I’ve seen the good men caught in those situations and the anguish it can cause. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing and sometimes I doubt whether my girlfriend knows where that line is. I’m really afraid of signing up for a lifetime commitment and then being a permanent backup plan.
I feel like the honest thing to do is break up and let each of us find better matches. The hardest part is that we have a great relationship now and my doubts are about the future.
I’m on vacation and I keep thinking I need to make a decision before I go back home next week.