Errors in the KJV!

• Thread starter Thread starter Malachi4U
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Malachi4U

Gods peace to you all, Theophilus’ :yup:

I would like to know any and all the errors you can find in any version of the King James Bible. That would include the AKJV, the KJV, and the NKJV. Please try to include references too if its not too much trouble. Do not just make up bad things, I want to have truthful errors to refute the ‘KJV onlyism’ proselytizers I talk to.

You can even include some problems with King James and the rules he established as well as anything on the translators and what they said. Remember to be respectful if possible but the truth is the most important thing.

Lets limit it to the KJV if possible since otherwise this thread would get unmanageable with all the Bible errors out there. If you have some really good problems with other versions that would also be good to know go ahead and include them if they will add to this string.
A prisoner of Christ

These verses seem to sum up the message of the entire Bible.

Eph 4:7-16 “one body and one Spirit, as you were also called to the one hope of your call; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in Therefore, it says: “He ascended on high and took prisoners captive; he gave gifts to men.” 9 What does “he ascended” mean except that he also descended into the lower (regions) of the earth? 10 The one who descended is also the one who ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things. 11 And he gave some as apostles, others as prophets, others as evangelists, others as pastors and teachers, 12 to equip the holy ones for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until we all attain to the unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the extent of the full stature of Christ, 14 so that we may no longer be infants, tossed by waves and swept along by every wind of teaching arising from human trickery, from their cunning in the interests of deceitful scheming. 15 Rather, living the truth in love, we should grow in every way into him who is the head, Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, with the proper functioning of each part, brings about the body’s growth and builds itself up in love.”

I’ll start it off,

The KJV has deleted a number of books that were in the AKJV. No mention in the KJV I have or have looked at say anything as to why the publishers/editors deleted over 5,000 verses of ‘inspired’ Scripture from the KJV in the 1800’s.:eek:

A prisoner of Christ

Good morning:

There is one thing I remember hearing a lot of from some neopagan friends of mine a few years ago. He alleged that the biblical injunction that “thou shall not suffer (allow) a witch to live” is more accurately translated as "thou shall not suffer a poisoner of wells to live.

I haven’t the foggiest clue as to the accuracy of that statement, however. It’s something that I have wanted to look into but never got around to it.

40.png
Dunmoose:
There is one thing I remember hearing a lot of from some neopagan friends of mine a few years ago. He alleged that the biblical injunction that “thou shall not suffer (allow) a witch to live” is more accurately translated as "thou shall not suffer a poisoner of wells to live.
For what it’s worth, here’s what a couple of sources have to say. The Hebrew word is “kashaf” and its root is in the word for “sorcery” and is always translated “witch” or “sorceress” or something similar in EVERY English translation of the Bible. Remember the witch of Endor in I Samuel (I Kings for you Douay fans 😉 ) - she was scared to death of Saul because he had earlier followed the Law on witches.

New Strong’s Dictionary:
H3784 kâshaph, ; a prim. root; prop. to whisper a spell, i.e. to inchant or practise magic:— sorcerer, (use) witch (-craft).

The doxology "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever." Is not found in the original text in Mt 6:13! This was added to the KJV! Why will they not correct this errant verse? Many other Bibles now have the correct verse stating (NIV)“13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’” Notice the doxology is gone.

One more KJV error they refuse to correct.

40.png
Malachi4U:
The doxology "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever." Is not found in the original text in Mt 6:13! This was added to the KJV! Why will they not correct this errant verse? Many other Bibles now have the correct verse stating (NIV)“13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’” Notice the doxology is gone.

One more KJV error they refuse to correct.
This was not first added by the King James Version. It was in most translations of the Bible from the Greek back then because the Greek texts that Erasmus compiled were Byzantine in character and he did not have the earlier texts we have today. The KJV translators used what was available to them. Also, this doxology is very old, a similar form having appeared in the Didache (ad 100-120).

Speaking of Erasmus, since his textus receptus was the basis for KJV, any textual errors would be transmitted. I had a Baptist Greek (Cain) professor that told me that part of Mark was included because Erasmus lost a bet that it could not be found in the Greek. His fellow scholar found the section in one late fragment. It was included and made it into the KVJ even though it is not in any early manuscript or codex.

Some student closer to his college years may have better citation for this story.

textus receptus was the basis for KJV
Textus receptus isn’t one text. It’s a compilation of texts. No one knows for certain which ones they were. Men had to compile them. KJV-onlies call these men “God’s secretaries” and there is a book out with that title about the history of the AV.

A lot of Baptists and Fundamentalists are moving away from KJVonlyism from what I’m been reading. As Baptists and Fundamentalists continue to increase their education (they are one of the least-educated denominations) I believe we will see KJVonlyism to be considered a superstition by a majority of Baptists in the near future.

The KJV had many copyist errors. Please remember any translation is not as good as the original Hebrew and Greek. You will find some minor flaws in every translation. Only the originals wer innerant in the strictest sense. Even the most polualr Catholic Bible’s like the RSV Catholic edition have very flawed gender translations that alter the original meaning of some passages.

That is why using a few different versions for study is laways helpful if you don’t read Hebrew and Greek ( I know I don’t).

Mel

40.png
J_Chrysostomos:
This was not
first added by the King James Version. It was in most translations of the Bible from the Greek back then because the Greek texts that Erasmus compiled were Byzantine in character and he did not have the earlier texts we have today. The KJV translators used what was available to them. Also, this doxology is very old, a similar form having appeared in the Didache (ad 100-120).

J,

Perhaps I wrote pooorly? I am just a human sinner but I do try to follow His commandments. I did not mean to imply the translators invented the doxology, only that they choose to add it to the AKJV when they inked it out. You are right that they did “COPY” it from earlier texts but not the earliest MS extant. The editors of the KJV and the NKJV have also deleted sections that were in the AKJV but you cannot find translators notes in those two like the AKJV has as to why they did this. (I haven’t anyway) Why did they leave in this verse in the KJV when they deleted over 5,000 other verses? What made the KJV or NKJV editors “Gods scribes” or whatever they’re called and the original AKJV translators erroneous? What makes Catholic translators erroneous? I would actually like to see “proof” where God gave one set of translators His approval and not the earlier/other ones.

Catholics try to correct flaws in the text or in the translation when they occur. That is why the NAB has a footnote on this verse. So does the protestant NIV. If it’s not in the original extant MS then why is it still in the AKJV, KJV and NKJV? I would like to add that when the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered and translated, they proved that the Catholic ‘translations’ that have been ‘written’ were very accurate. Consider over 2,000 years all the times Books were copied and the persecution of the early Catholic Church and Gods written Word still remained virtually intact! Praise God the Catholic Church preserved the Bible for all Christians today!

I also have no problem with the verse and actually say the doxology every week at mass to praise and worship God.

The ‘translators’ did not invent the Bible but they did write it (their version) and choose what to put into or leave out of it. I use the word write only to mean they choose what words to put on paper and wrote it out that way. I hope this helps.

Malachi,

I’m in full agreement that it shouldn’t be in the text of Scripture. (Though I still pray the last clause when i say the Lord’s prayer.) Just wanting to say that the KJV translators didn’t add it. And you’re right about the NKJV problem with keeping it in. At least they put a note saying it isn’t in the older texts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back