S
SimonDodd
Guest
I would like a good, solid “reading Bible.” I’m leaning toward the ESV; it’s fairly elegant, it’s fairly literal without being unreadable, and it doesn’t play the presumptuous and frequently misleading “inclusive language” game. By comparison, the imprimatur-bearing RSVCE and NAB are frequently ugly and vapid, and are not without warts and critics of their own (e.g. 1; 2; 3). NJB is attractive, but I’ve yet to find it in a good binding. (It should be big enough to lie open, but not so big as to be cumbersome; it shouldn’t be bound such that it constantly wants to snap shut.)
Nevertheless, it’s ineluctably a protestant translation, at least in the sense of a translation done by protestants, and, it’s frequently alleged, perhaps also in the sense of a translation that is, let’s say informed by protestant norms and sensibilities. Precisely because I want a reading Bible rather than a study Bible (when tackling a specific passage in depth, one obviously reads all common translations and goes back to the vulgate and greek text), I’m concerned about being tripped up by slanted translations.
The ESV has been discussed in these forums many times, but the debates have often been sidetracked without reaching solid conclusions, so I don’t feel too bad in raising it again. The threads I’ve reviewed tend are long on generalized criticisms of ESV (e.g. “The translation is clearly slanted in the Protestant direction”; it is “an extremely Protestant translation”; it has “a very strong Protestant slant”; “it translates in favor of Protestant doctrines and against Catholic doctrines”), but short on specifics. Indeed, the sole example of defective translation that I’ve seen adduced is 1 Tim 3:15 (e.g. 1; 2; 3). Well, fair enough; the reader is warned and the passage highlighted. But that is one word out of the entire Bible. A handful of other problems have been suggested, but, with all due respect, they are off-point where the discussion is focused on ESV vs. Catholic translations. For instance, forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=1873297&postcount=23 faults ESV’s use of “presence” in 2 Cor 2:10, but NAB, NJB, and RSVce translate it the same way. Whether Jerry is right or wrong, he’s making an argument for DR über alles, not for a Catholic translation over ESV, which is the point I’m interested in. And the objection that earlier editions did not include the deuterocanonical books has been answered.
I wonder if we could take another run at evaluating ESV as a translation for Catholics, brushing aside generalities, detours (translation issues whose faultline does not divide Catholic from non-Catholic translations, such as the example noted above), and the downright obvious (no, it doesn’t have an imprimatur). My question is: 1 Tim 3:15 aside, are there other specific problems (i.e. problematic from a Catholic perspective) with ESV’s translation? Or, as several comments implicitly suggest, do the problems lie in the footnotes?
Nevertheless, it’s ineluctably a protestant translation, at least in the sense of a translation done by protestants, and, it’s frequently alleged, perhaps also in the sense of a translation that is, let’s say informed by protestant norms and sensibilities. Precisely because I want a reading Bible rather than a study Bible (when tackling a specific passage in depth, one obviously reads all common translations and goes back to the vulgate and greek text), I’m concerned about being tripped up by slanted translations.
The ESV has been discussed in these forums many times, but the debates have often been sidetracked without reaching solid conclusions, so I don’t feel too bad in raising it again. The threads I’ve reviewed tend are long on generalized criticisms of ESV (e.g. “The translation is clearly slanted in the Protestant direction”; it is “an extremely Protestant translation”; it has “a very strong Protestant slant”; “it translates in favor of Protestant doctrines and against Catholic doctrines”), but short on specifics. Indeed, the sole example of defective translation that I’ve seen adduced is 1 Tim 3:15 (e.g. 1; 2; 3). Well, fair enough; the reader is warned and the passage highlighted. But that is one word out of the entire Bible. A handful of other problems have been suggested, but, with all due respect, they are off-point where the discussion is focused on ESV vs. Catholic translations. For instance, forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=1873297&postcount=23 faults ESV’s use of “presence” in 2 Cor 2:10, but NAB, NJB, and RSVce translate it the same way. Whether Jerry is right or wrong, he’s making an argument for DR über alles, not for a Catholic translation over ESV, which is the point I’m interested in. And the objection that earlier editions did not include the deuterocanonical books has been answered.
I wonder if we could take another run at evaluating ESV as a translation for Catholics, brushing aside generalities, detours (translation issues whose faultline does not divide Catholic from non-Catholic translations, such as the example noted above), and the downright obvious (no, it doesn’t have an imprimatur). My question is: 1 Tim 3:15 aside, are there other specific problems (i.e. problematic from a Catholic perspective) with ESV’s translation? Or, as several comments implicitly suggest, do the problems lie in the footnotes?