Etiquette at the tabernacle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter philip01
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

philip01

Guest
Last week as I was kneeling and praying before the blessed sacrament (about 2 feet away from the tabernacle), a parishoner (on business I assume) walked into the church. She proceeded to walk to the front of the church, behind the altar. Seconds later, as I was still kneeling and praying, the female approached, walked in front of me (her backside in front of my face of course), bowed, unlocked the tabernacle, and began removing the Eucharist. I finished my prayer within the next 30 seconds as the female still conducted her business. I stood up and exited and have been thinking about it ever since. Is this irregular or at the least downright rude, or is it just me? I was surprised when it happened, but now I am simply perplexed. :confused:
 
The most general assumption is that she is a EMHC taking Communion to the sick. Unfortunately, you just have to hope that she had permission from the priest to take the Blessed Sacrament and that the priest knows that she was there. I would certainly agree that she was somewhat rude to the Blessed Sacrament. She should have genuflected to the tabernacle. If you think that she had ill intentions then you should think about notifying your pastor (or whatever priest is in charge of the Church where the Blessed Sacrament is reserved.)

Happy New Year!
 
Last week as I was kneeling and praying before the blessed sacrament (about 2 feet away from the tabernacle), a parishoner (on business I assume) walked into the church. She proceeded to walk to the front of the church, behind the altar. Seconds later, as I was still kneeling and praying, the female approached, walked in front of me (her backside in front of my face of course), bowed, unlocked the tabernacle, and began removing the Eucharist. I finished my prayer within the next 30 seconds as the female still conducted her business. I stood up and exited and have been thinking about it ever since. Is this irregular or at the least downright rude, or is it just me? I was surprised when it happened, but now I am simply perplexed. :confused:
obviously if she had the key she has approval for whatever it is she was doing, presumably obtaining hosts for communion for the sick. Why would that disturb you or your prayers? When you are at Mass everyone in front of you has their backside to you, is that a problem? Unless you know for absolute fact she is physically capable of genuflecting yet merely bowed, there should be no negative construction put on her actions.
 
Why would you think she didn’t have permission. In our parish the only way an EMHC can get the tabernacle key is to come to the Pairsh Office and the name better be on the list or they don’t get the key. Also, why refer to her as “the female?” It sounds quite derogatory. Also, as far as not genuflecting, perhaps she was unable. Our pastor is unable to genuflect and no one complains about him. I would have said a prayer for the person the woman was brining communion to, instead of being critical of what she was doing.
 
I’m still wondering why you were 2 feet from the Tabernacle – doesn’t that mean you were in the sanctuary? I’ve never seen anyone opt to go kneel by the tabernacle rather than in a pew.
 
I’m thinking that he feels it is rude for someone to put their fanny in front of someone’s face when they are praying, and to block their view of the tabernacle.

I think a better description of how this space is laid out would be helpful. Our parish has a communion rail, so it is not uncommon for someone to be kneeling immediately on the edge of the sanctuary. Even though the tabernacle would be very far away, if the person decided to stop and bow before leaving the sanctuary, they could actually do this right smack in front of someone kneeling at the rail. I do agree - that would be rude if there were other options for the person to stand off to the side or elsewhere, and not put their backside in your face.

Or - is there something I’m missing here? :confused:

~Liza
 
The most general assumption is that she is a EMHC taking Communion to the sick. Unfortunately, you just have to hope that she had permission from the priest to take the Blessed Sacrament and that the priest knows that she was there. I would certainly agree that she was somewhat rude to the Blessed Sacrament. She should have genuflected to the tabernacle. If you think that she had ill intentions then you should think about notifying your pastor (or whatever priest is in charge of the Church where the Blessed Sacrament is reserved.)

Happy New Year!
I have learned from your answer. Thank you very much.
Happy New Year to you as well!
 
Did you ask her?

Did she remove all the hosts and extinguish the tabernacle light?

Maybe she was removing hosts to bring Holy Communion to patients at your local hospital. Did you include this woman in your prayers? Did you include any sick or diabled parishioners in your prayers? Did you praise Our Lord as He was being carried from the tabernacle by this woman? He remained Our Lord in her pyx.

I realize it’s terribly annoying to have one’s prayers interrupted, but unless this is your own private chapel, the tabernacle belongs to the parish. There are times in an adoration chapel that people enter the chapel in order to change the flowers, replace the candles, vacuum, etc. and it’s very disruptive to my prayer and meditation, so I sympathize with your situation. Our prayer time should be respected. But it isn’t my personal, private adoration chapel, and flowers do need to be watered, candles replaced, the chapel cleaned, etc.

I’m an EMHC and if I needed to remove or replace hosts in the tabernacle while someone close by was obviously deep in prayer, I would have quietly and gently said “Excuse me, but would it be too disruptive if I filled my pyx? I’ll only be a moment. Sorry to interrupt your prayers.” It’s possible that this woman hesitated to speak to you because she didn’t want to interrupt you, and might have thought she’d be less of a distraction if she worked silently, although that wasn’t the case. At the same time, if someone asked me if I needed to be there at that time, I wouldn’t have taken offense, I would have politely said something like: “I’m filling my pyx to bring Our Lord to patients at County Medical Center.”

Maybe it would help to consider this: Someday you might be grateful to see this very same woman coming to visit you if you’re ill or have had an accident and can’t attend Mass.

When we pray in a church, it’s good for all of us to remember that we are praying in community with others and for others. Our Lord is for all at all times.
 
I’m thinking that he feels it is rude for someone to put their fanny in front of someone’s face when they are praying, and to block their view of the tabernacle.

I think a better description of how this space is laid out would be helpful. Our parish has a communion rail, so it is not uncommon for someone to be kneeling immediately on the edge of the sanctuary. Even though the tabernacle would be very far away, if the person decided to stop and bow before leaving the sanctuary, they could actually do this right smack in front of someone kneeling at the rail. I do agree - that would be rude if there were other options for the person to stand off to the side or elsewhere, and not put their backside in your face.

Or - is there something I’m missing here? :confused:

~Liza
I wish I could have laid the scenario in a more articulate manner, but you seemed to have read it in the context in which it was intended. The kneeler is positioned about 2 feet in front of the tabernacle in the sanctuary. This was literally in front of my face as I was praying.
 
Did you ask her?

Did she remove all the hosts and extinguish the tabernacle light?

Maybe she was removing hosts to bring Holy Communion to patients at your local hospital. Did you include this woman in your prayers? Did you include any sick or diabled parishioners in your prayers? Did you praise Our Lord as He was being carried from the tabernacle by this woman? He remained Our Lord in her pyx.

I realize it’s terribly annoying to have one’s prayers interrupted, but unless this is your own private chapel, the tabernacle belongs to the parish. There are times in an adoration chapel that people enter the chapel in order to change the flowers, replace the candles, vacuum, etc. and it’s very disruptive to my prayer and meditation, so I sympathize with your situation. Our prayer time should be respected. But it isn’t my personal, private adoration chapel, and flowers do need to be watered, candles replaced, the chapel cleaned, etc.

I’m an EMHC and if I needed to remove or replace hosts in the tabernacle while someone close by was obviously deep in prayer, I would have quietly and gently said “Excuse me, but would it be too disruptive if I filled my pyx? I’ll only be a moment. Sorry to interrupt your prayers.” It’s possible that this woman hesitated to speak to you because she didn’t want to interrupt you, and might have thought she’d be less of a distraction if she worked silently, although that wasn’t the case. At the same time, if someone asked me if I needed to be there at that time, I wouldn’t have taken offense, I would have politely said something like: “I’m filling my pyx to bring Our Lord to patients at County Medical Center.”

Maybe it would help to consider this: Someday you might be grateful to see this very same woman coming to visit you if you’re ill or have had an accident and can’t attend Mass.

When we pray in a church, it’s good for all of us to remember that we are praying in community with others and for others. Our Lord is for all at all times.
I apologize if my inquiry has offended you or anyone else. I harbor no ill feelings towards this woman or her purpose. Whatever it may have been, I’m sure it was necessary work. Also, since you asked, my daily prayers do include the sick, and most ironically, I was praying for my mother who is stricken with stage 4 cancer at the time of this occurrence. I believe that your acknowledgement would have been well received if it had been you in the sanctuary that day, and perhaps I would not have created this thread. Furthermore, I felt very comfortable asking about this in this forum, since we are “in community” as your quote states at the end of your post.
 
It would have been more courteous if she waited a little while. If she did and couldn’t wait any longer, she could have lightly tapped the person on the shoulder and kindly announced her need to access the tabernacle.

I think it is rude to interrupt someone’s quiet time with God. You’re correct, Philip, in thinking that she didn’t use proper etiquette.
 
IMHO it would have been much kinder for her to wait to one side for a minute and if you didn’t acknowledge her or leave she could politely ask if she could access the Tabernacle for a minute. That way she wouldn’t interrupt your prayer or bow in your face.
I’m still wondering why you were 2 feet from the Tabernacle – doesn’t that mean you were in the sanctuary? I’ve never seen anyone opt to go kneel by the tabernacle rather than in a pew.
In my parish the piano and organ are in front of the pews closest to the Tabernacle and feel very blocked if the Church is otherwise empty so I often opt to kneel directly in front of the Tabernacle on the Sanctuary step. (Notice I say ‘feel’ - I know the presence of Christ is in no way blocked.) At times I will kneel in the side isle - although I’m afraid Father might run me over if he’s not expecting someone to be there.
In our parish the only way an EMHC can get the tabernacle key is to come to the Pairsh Office and the name better be on the list or they don’t get the key.
I’m not sure if the key is there are not when it isn’t Mass time :hmmm: I’ll have to look next time.
 
I apologize if my inquiry has offended you or anyone else. I harbor no ill feelings towards this woman or her purpose. Whatever it may have been, I’m sure it was necessary work. Also, since you asked, my daily prayers do include the sick, and most ironically, I was praying for my mother who is stricken with stage 4 cancer at the time of this occurrence. I believe that your acknowledgement would have been well received if it had been you in the sanctuary that day, and perhaps I would not have created this thread. Furthermore, I felt very comfortable asking about this in this forum, since we are “in community” as your quote states at the end of your post.
No offense taken. 🙂

I’ll be praying for your mother.
 
I wish I could have laid the scenario in a more articulate manner, but you seemed to have read it in the context in which it was intended. The kneeler is positioned about 2 feet in front of the tabernacle in the sanctuary. This was literally in front of my face as I was praying.
If you were truly praying fervently before the Holy Mysteries, you wouldn’t have noticed who came in or out.
 
Did you ask her?

Did she remove all the hosts and extinguish the tabernacle light?

Maybe she was removing hosts to bring Holy Communion to patients at your local hospital. Did you include this woman in your prayers? Did you include any sick or diabled parishioners in your prayers? Did you praise Our Lord as He was being carried from the tabernacle by this woman? He remained Our Lord in her pyx.

I realize it’s terribly annoying to have one’s prayers interrupted, but unless this is your own private chapel, the tabernacle belongs to the parish. There are times in an adoration chapel that people enter the chapel in order to change the flowers, replace the candles, vacuum, etc. and it’s very disruptive to my prayer and meditation, so I sympathize with your situation. Our prayer time should be respected. But it isn’t my personal, private adoration chapel, and flowers do need to be watered, candles replaced, the chapel cleaned, etc.

I’m an EMHC and if I needed to remove or replace hosts in the tabernacle while someone close by was obviously deep in prayer, I would have quietly and gently said “Excuse me, but would it be too disruptive if I filled my pyx? I’ll only be a moment. Sorry to interrupt your prayers.” It’s possible that this woman hesitated to speak to you because she didn’t want to interrupt you, and might have thought she’d be less of a distraction if she worked silently, although that wasn’t the case. At the same time, if someone asked me if I needed to be there at that time, I wouldn’t have taken offense, I would have politely said something like: “I’m filling my pyx to bring Our Lord to patients at County Medical Center.”

Maybe it would help to consider this: Someday you might be grateful to see this very same woman coming to visit you if you’re ill or have had an accident and can’t attend Mass.

When we pray in a church, it’s good for all of us to remember that we are praying in community with others and for others. Our Lord is for all at all times.
You frighten me ! What do you mean…“remove or REPLACE” hosts". Hosts that are taken from the Tabernacle must be consumed to my knowledge. In the event all the hosts are not consumed by those who are communicating the EMHC must consume what is left.
Unless the pyx is so large they can be brought back. That’s not very good planning, is that what you meant?
God Bless.

God Bless
 
You frighten me ! What do you mean…“remove or REPLACE” hosts". Hosts that are taken from the Tabernacle must be consumed to my knowledge.
God Bless
If Hosts are remaining after a visit to, say, a nursing home (perhaps because several expected communicants were ill or unavailable), isn’t it proper to replace them in the tabernacle? Or is the Extraordinary Minister expected to consume potentially multiple Hosts themselves? Unless such were to prevent eucharistic sacrilige, wouldn’t that be self-communication?
 
You frighten me ! What do you mean…“remove or REPLACE” hosts". Hosts that are taken from the Tabernacle must be consumed to my knowledge. In the event all the hosts are not consumed by those who are communicating the EMHC must consume what is left.
Unless the pyx is so large they can be brought back. That’s not very good planning, is that what you meant?
God Bless.
If the pyx was large enough to take them to the hospital, surely it was big enough to return with any Hosts that may have remained.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top