Oh, I know, I’m just so scarey!
Boo! You should see me on Halloween!
Is this good planning? No, I’m terrible at planning. For example, this past Sunday I went to a local nursing home right after Mass to bring Holy Communion to the Catholic patients and I did have to replace 3 consecrated hosts to the tabernacle at my parish. ***Frightening!!! ***
Here’s the evidence of lack of planning on my part:
- We have more than a foot of snow on the ground and the roads aren’t yet totally clear, so my driving time from church to the nursing home took longer than usual and one patient couldn’t wait for me to arrive because her children were taking her out to lunch. So that’s one host that I brought with me that wasn’t offered, sadly.
- One lady died a few days ago and since she didn’t belong to my parish, I wasn’t aware she had died. That’s another host in my pyx that wasn’t offered. Total of two so far.
- One man who’s a friend of mine couldn’t manage to take an entire host, so I broke a piece for him. That’s 50% of a host left in my pyx.
- Another man asked for part of a host because he has trouble chewing. I gave him the other 50% of the broken host. So that’s 3 hosts so far left in my pyx.
Really poor planning on my part. And really frightening, too!
But if someone you love is in a nursing home or hospital they can tell you that somehow I manage not to appear frightening to them at all. You want to know what’s really scary? Being in a nursing home or hospital and not having anyone to bring Our Blessed Lord to you. I hope that never happens to you.
I’m a little weary of seeing posts that don’t show a little respect for the job of a EMHC. You don’t have to show me respect. Just the job I do. No one expects us to do our job perfectly or to exercise perfect planning and knowledge in all situations . If that’s frightening to you, then so be it. If omniscience were the expectation, then most of us would fail at being an EMHC. Then who would bring Holy Communion to the elderly, hospitalized, and home-bound? Do we really have enough priests and deacons? Not in my diocese, we don’t. So you’ll just have to be healthy all your life or else accept us EMHC as we are, warts and all.
*Boo! *