Eucharist and Preaching

  • Thread starter Thread starter searching87
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

searching87

Guest
I am someone who is falling in love with the Catholic Church, but often I leave Mass feeling disappointed. For one, I always leave missing the preaching of Protestant churches. I know the mass is not centered on the preaching, but I do think that aspect of the liturgy is extremely important. Why do priests not spend much time with their homilies?

Second, throughout my conversion I have heard many other Catholics, who were protestants, say that they are very thankful for the faith they received and still know protestants who are stronger Christians than some catholics. Why then can’t strong faithful protestants receive the Eucharist? If the Catholic Church wants all Christians to be one, why would they keep The Lord from protestant brothers and sisters. If they are baptized and united to the Church invisibly, do you not think The Lord would want them to share in His body and blood?
 
I am someone who is falling in love with the Catholic Church, but often I leave Mass feeling disappointed. For one, I always leave missing the preaching of Protestant churches. I know the mass is not centered on the preaching, but I do think that aspect of the liturgy is extremely important. Why do priests not spend much time with their homilies?
A homily is not a sermon, for one thing. Homilies are based on the Mass readings for that day, so they tend not to be as “topical” as sermons. Priests can preach sermons, but that’s usually reserved for a special occasion for a special group setting.
Second, throughout my conversion I have heard many other Catholics, who were protestants, say that they are very thankful for the faith they received and still know protestants who are stronger Christians than some catholics. Why then can’t strong faithful protestants receive the Eucharist? If the Catholic Church wants all Christians to be one, why would they keep The Lord from protestant brothers and sisters. If they are baptized and united to the Church invisibly, do you not think The Lord would want them to share in His body and blood?
Because it is communion, not only with the Lord, but with his Church. One must believe and hold to what the Catholic Church teaches to truly be in union with her. Protestants are just that–protesters against one or more teachings of the Church, therefore they are not in union with her in that regard. It would be hypocrisy to receive knowing that one isn’t under the headship of the pope, and that one does not believe in the Church’s teachings. It holds the same for Catholics–we cannot receive Protestant communions because they don’t have proper apostolic succession, and so no Eucharist can be confected in their rites.
 
A homily is not a sermon, for one thing. Homilies are based on the Mass readings for that day, so they tend not to be as “topical” as sermons. Priests can preach sermons, but that’s usually reserved for a special occasion for a special group setting.

Because it is communion, not only with the Lord, but with his Church. One must believe and hold to what the Catholic Church teaches to truly be in union with her. Protestants are just that–protesters against one or more teachings of the Church, therefore they are not in union with her in that regard. It would be hypocrisy to receive knowing that one isn’t under the headship of the pope, and that one does not believe in the Church’s teachings. It holds the same for Catholics–we cannot receive Protestant communions because they don’t have proper apostolic succession, and so no Eucharist can be confected in their rites.
👍:yup:
 
Finally! A Catholic who will not be complaining about the length of the homilies! 😃

This is of the the distinct differences between Catholic and Protestant. The mass is not only a sacrifice, but also the Church’s greatest prayer. If you view the mass like that, you will be in a more prayerful and contemplative mood. When you realize that, as unseen as they are, the entire host of heaven is present at the consecration, you won’t mind the lack of preaching. As well, since the mass makes the last supper present to us, we can recall that preaching was rather sparse there. If you enjoy listening to the preaching, you might look forward to the various missions that are preached in your parish and those surrounding you.

As to “intercommunion”, here is what Fr. Robert Barron has to say about it: youtube.com/watch?v=3BsVC77Yu7g

As well, according to 1 Corinthians 11:27-30, an examination of conscience is proper before receiving, as one does not want to receive unworthily. Even Catholics must be in a state of grace before reception of the Eucharist. And, for this reason, you will see many refrain from receiving.
 
I am someone who is falling in love with the Catholic Church, but often I leave Mass feeling disappointed. For one, I always leave missing the preaching of Protestant churches. I know the mass is not centered on the preaching, but I do think that aspect of the liturgy is extremely important. Why do priests not spend much time with their homilies?

Second, throughout my conversion I have heard many other Catholics, who were protestants, say that they are very thankful for the faith they received and still know protestants who are stronger Christians than some catholics. Why then can’t strong faithful protestants receive the Eucharist? If the Catholic Church wants all Christians to be one, why would they keep The Lord from protestant brothers and sisters. If they are baptized and united to the Church invisibly, do you not think The Lord would want them to share in His body and blood?
Just a question:
Why have some Truth when you can have it all? What I mean is if you believe in the real presence, then what is keeping them from the Catholic Church? The fullness of Truth?

Here is more on this: catholic.com/video/can-non-catholic-christians-receive-communion-in-the-catholic-church
 
I am someone who is falling in love with the Catholic Church, but often I leave Mass feeling disappointed. For one, I always leave missing the preaching of Protestant churches. I know the mass is not centered on the preaching, but I do think that aspect of the liturgy is extremely important. Why do priests not spend much time with their homilies?

Second, throughout my conversion I have heard many other Catholics, who were protestants, say that they are very thankful for the faith they received and still know protestants who are stronger Christians than some catholics. Why then can’t strong faithful protestants receive the Eucharist? If the Catholic Church wants all Christians to be one, why would they keep The Lord from protestant brothers and sisters. If they are baptized and united to the Church invisibly, do you not think The Lord would want them to share in His body and blood?
There is no such thing as an invisible unity with the Church.

Baptized Christians who want to be united to the Church must make a visible and public profession of faith, attend Church on Sundays and Holy Days and place themselves under canon law and obedience to the Pope. All of this is visible and public. There is no such thing as invisible unity. Christ established a visible kingdom with Peter as his prime minister. One is either in or out.

We have to be in a state of grace to receive the Eucharist. The Eucharist is Jesus. We are incorporated into Jesus when we receive the Eucharist. We can’t be incorporated into Jesus when we are in a state of sin. That means we have to go to confession and confess mortal sins, have our sins absolved and be forgiven.

All of this is in the Bible.

***Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself. *(1 Corinthians 11:27-29)

We have to eat and drink worthily. Those who do not believe that the Eucharist is Jesus cannot receive.

-Tim-
 
As catholics, we obey the commandment,“remember thou keep holy the lord’s day,” by attending what was, and still ought to be referred to, as the holy sacrifice of the mass. There Jesus is once again offered on the cross, a re-presentation of of His passion and death for our sins. He died only once. In the mass His body and blood, soul and divinity are present in the Blessed Sacrament, offered to God the Father.
A person needs to fully realize what they do when receiving Him, for the kingdom of heaven is truly within you.
 
=Della;11346579]A homily is not a sermon, for one thing. Homilies are based on the Mass readings for that day, so they tend not to be as “topical” as sermons. Priests can preach sermons, but that’s usually reserved for a special occasion for a special group setting.
Typically, this is the approach of good Lutheran pastors, as well.
Because it is communion, not only with the Lord, but with his Church. One must believe and hold to what the Catholic Church teaches to truly be in union with her.
Lutherans believe this, as well. From the Sanctus:
“*Therefore with angels and archangels and all the company of heaven we laud and magnify your glorious name, evermore praising you and saying:”

“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord, God of power and might: Heaven and earth are full of your glory. Hosanna in the highest. Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna in the highest."*
Protestants are just that–protesters against one or more teachings of the Church, therefore they are not in union with her in that regard
Not the meaning of the term protestant. the term protestant comes from the Second Diet of Speyer in 1529, a protest of government actions restricting religious practices.
It would be hypocrisy to receive knowing that one isn’t under the headship of the pope, and that one does not believe in the Church’s teachings. It holds the same for Catholics–we cannot receive Protestant communions because they don’t have proper apostolic succession, and so no Eucharist can be confected in their rites.
Certainly the Catholic opinion, though Cardinal Ratzinger’s view was more nuanced.
I count among the most important results of the ecumenical dialogues the insight that the issue of the eucharist cannot be narrowed to the problem of ‘validity.’ Even a theology oriented to the concept of succession, such as that which holds in the Catholic and in the Orthodox church, need not in any way deny the salvation-granting presence of the Lord [Heilschaffende Gegenwart des Herrn] in a Lutheran [evangelische] Lord’s Supper.(166)
Jon
 
I think it is important to understand the context in which the Eucharist is celebrated. The Eucharistic Prayer at a Catholic Mass includes an intercession for the pope. Receiving Holy Communion in this context implies an acknowledgment that the pope is the leading bishop of the Church and that all Christians owe him due obedience and submission. (Hebrews 13:17) Protestants, typically, do not acknowledge this authority of the pope and, consequently, ought not to receive Holy Communion at a Catholic Mass.
 
Some priests I know give GREAT homilies–relevant to the culture and deep in thought. They make the readings relevant and understandable to the folks in the pews. Others may be so busy that they’ve made an unfortunate habit of not devoting enough time to it. Stress, lukewarmness, or illness could be a factor too–ya never know. Some may just not have had good training way back in seminary on how to deliver a good homily.

If your ears are itching for some good Catholic “talks”, you might want to search online for some audio or video from Catholic Answers or another reliable source. I’ve found debates, conversion stories, and talks that expound on Catholic doctrine that are very engaging and enjoyable to listen to.
 
I am someone who is falling in love with the Catholic Church, but often I leave Mass feeling disappointed. For one, I always leave missing the preaching of Protestant churches. I know the mass is not centered on the preaching, but I do think that aspect of the liturgy is extremely important. Why do priests not spend much time with their homilies?
One practical aspect to consider is that generally, priests say Mass every day of the week - a different sermon each day. That’s a lot more sermons to prepare.

Another thought - which may or may not be correct: I’m wondering if the motivating call a Protestant experiences to the ministry is a desire to preach.
I think the call God inspires in a Catholic man when He is calling him to the priesthood involves more a desire for the Eucharist - to offer Mass; also to administer the other sacraments. The desire to actually preach sermons from the pulpit can be totally absent. (I don’t mean there is no desire to talk about the faith, or to live it, but just the standing up on a podium and preaching a prepared sermon to an audience so to speak.) I say this because I know such a priest. Attending His Mass is so inspirational; he is so absorbed personally in it; being able to consecrate the Eucharist and give absolution in Confession are the most important things in his life. BUT, he is probably one of the worst sermon givers I’ve come across. Now twice a week there is no weekday Mass in my regular parish so on those days I (and a couple friends) go elsewhere (there are 3 places equi-distant). We always go to his parish. The holiness and reverence in his manner has more meaning to us than a good sermon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top