Eucharist More Than Once

• Thread starter Thread starter jleary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jleary

I was wondering if there is a limit on recieving Eucharist in the same day. I attend mass more than once on Sunday’s and have always thought that you should only recieve once per day, unless you were part of the altar celebration. Cannon Law 917 states “One who has received the blessed Eucharist may receive it again on the same day only within a eucharistic celebration in which that person participates, without prejudice to the provision of can. 921 §2.” Does participation mean attend the mass or participate on the altar?

Any thoughts?

40.png
jleary:
I was wondering if there is a limit on recieving Eucharist in the same day. I attend mass more than once on Sunday’s and have always thought that you should only recieve once per day, unless you were part of the altar celebration. Cannon Law 917 states “One who has received the blessed Eucharist may receive it again on the same day only within a eucharistic celebration in which that person participates, without prejudice to the provision of can. 921 §2.” Does participation mean attend the mass or participate on the altar?

Any thoughts?
You may receive 2 times/day. When you attend Mass you “participate.”

As someone said you could receive 3 times in one day, if you were in danger of dying and you received viaticum – food for the journey.

40.png
jleary:

Any thoughts?
Participation means that the second* reception must take place in the context of a Mass, and not, eg, a Communion Service. There is also an exception to this exception (namely 921 §2, noted), that viaticum may be given, even if the recipient has received earlier.

(* NB that the canon gives permission for a second reception, but not beyond that, save for viaticum. I believe viaticum may be given even if the recipient has previously received twice. cf. ewtn.com/expert/answers/communion_times.htm )

What Cannon 917 is referring to is you may receive Communion a second time if you attend a special Mass like at a wedding, ordination or such. Not if it is a regular Mass.

:blessyou:

40.png
DigitalDeacon:
What Cannon 917 is referring to is you may receive Communion a second time if you attend a special Mass like at a wedding, ordination or such. Not if it is a regular Mass.

:blessyou:
You are thinking of the rule that was in place prior to the 1983 canon law.

If canon 917 only applied to special Masses, then it would say so. Although some aspects of canon law can be quite intricate, involving other canons or even matters outside the text of the canon law itself, for the most part it says what it means and it means what it says.

, the apostolic constitution by which Pope John Paul II established the current Code of Canon LawSacrae disciplinae leges, says in paragraph 25:
Finally, the canonical laws by their very nature must be observed. The greatest care has therefore been taken to ensure that in the lengthy preparation of the Code the wording of the norms should be accurate, and that they should be based on a solid juridical, canonical and theological foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back