D
DLG123
Guest
I am helping with a Bible Study and was needing some help on scripture references that pertain to the Eucharist. can anyone direct me in the right direction?
Thanks,
DLG
Thanks,
DLG
=DLG123;8045991]I am helping with a Bible Study and was needing some help on scripture references that pertain to the Eucharist. can anyone direct me in the right direction?
**Exo. 16 “7 **and in the morning you shall see the glory of the LORD, because he has heard your murmurings against the LORD. For what are we, that you murmur against us?" 8 And Moses said, “When the LORD gives you in the evening flesh to eat and in the morning bread to the full, because the LORD has heard your murmurings which you murmur against him–what are we? Your murmurings are not against us but against the LORD.” [Manna in morning and Quail at night]Thanks,
DLG
=TimothyH;8050154]Instead of this, you nourished your people with food of angels and furnished them bread from heaven, ready to hand, untoiled-for, endowed with all delights and conforming to every taste. For this substance of yours revealed your sweetness toward your children, and serving the desire of him who received it, was blended to whatever flavor each one wished. (Wisdom 16:20-21)
Wisdom 16 speaks about elements changing properties, matter loosing it’s nature and taking on the nature of other matter. The whole thing speaks to me of transubstantiation.
THANKS Tim!-Tim-
The Catholic Church and the Bible by Fr. Stravinskis from Ignatius press has the entire last section devoted to documenting line by line where each prayer and response of the Mass comes from in sacred scripture. I am using it in my summer confirmation classes for adults and youth. I am sure there are other sources, this is the one I am most familiar with and use most often.I am helping with a Bible Study and was needing some help on scripture references that pertain to the Eucharist. can anyone direct me in the right direction?
Thanks,
DLG
Though I have read Wisdom, I apparently missed this! Thanks for pointing it out!Instead of this, you nourished your people with food of angels and furnished them bread from heaven, ready to hand, untoiled-for, endowed with all delights and conforming to every taste. For this substance of yours revealed your sweetness toward your children, and serving the desire of him who received it, was blended to whatever flavor each one wished. (Wisdom 16:20-21)
Wisdom 16 speaks about elements changing properties, matter loosing it’s nature and taking on the nature of other matter. The whole thing speaks to me of transubstantiation.
-Tim-
It’s been awhile since I read Wisdom, and now I’m going to have to read it all againThere are a couple of verses - 17 and 19 - in Chapter 16 of the Book of Wisdom wich speak of elements changing places or water not quenching fire, but it bothered me for a while this evening because I had remembered that there was a whole passage about it and not just one or two verses. So I went through the second half of Wisdom in the RSV and found what I was really thinking of re. elements changing places, etc. It was in chapter 19.
For the elements changed places with one another, as on a harp the notes vary the nature of the rhythm, while each note remains the same. This may be clearly inferred from the sight of what took place. For land animals were transformed into water creatures, and creatures that swim moved over to the land. Fire even in water retained its normal power, and water forgot its fire-quenching nature. Flames, on the contrary, failed to consume the flesh of perishable creatures that walked among them, nor did they melt the crystalline, easily melted kind of heavenly food. (Wisom 19:18-21)
This was part of the author’s recounting of God’s providence during the Exodus from Egypt. I’m not saying it is about transubstantiation, but it quacks like a duck to me.
Does anyone know to what exactly the author is referring? I can’t recall animals being in flames and not consumed in Exodus. I recall Hananiah Mishael and Azariah being in the firey furnace in the Book of Daniel but not in Exodus. And what is the reference to about water not quenching fire? Where is that from? Anyone know?
-Tim-