Eucharistic Pizza

• Thread starter Thread starter misericordie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

misericordie

Has anyone ever heard of priests who have consecrated english muffins, or pizza during Mass? This was especially popular (sad to say) in the 1970’s and 1980’s, but I am SURE it still goes on. What on Earth are priests who do that thinking? I also was told by a friend of a priest who instead of consecrating the wine, consecrated soda pop. I am VERY serious about this. I believe this is not only liturgical abuse, but also diabolical.
Again, does anyone have similar experiences?

I never saw such a thing in person, but I did come accross a website that looked like they were doing such a thing. I’ll look for the site and post it here if I can find it.

The thing to remember that the priest who “consecrated” soda pop or pizza didin’t Consecrate anything. Invalid matter does not Consecrate.

I heard this discussion on a radio program (not sure if it was on EWTN or another station), but someone mentioned at a Children’s Mass the priest used M&M cookies! :eek:

Go with God!
Edwin

The parish about a mile from my home has “bread bakers” who bake the Eucharistic Bread- Part of the ever popular “active lay participation” found in liberal parishes. It tastes rather plain so the few times I attend there I am hoping they did not add invalid ingredients. The part that makes me sick is-- The round flat loaf is brought up to the altar- Then during the Lamb of God- The Extraordinary Eucharistic Ministers all grab a portion and tear it into small pieces. It is very unsettling to see this- not to mention unsanitary.:nope:

Fast,

That action is again forbidden in the new Instruction. By the way most things added to “home made” Euchristic bread do not make it invlalid but illicit. It still Consecrates and becomes the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ.

40.png
Fast_ed75:
The parish about a mile from my home has “bread bakers” who bake the Eucharistic Bread- Part of the ever popular “active lay participation” found in liberal parishes. It tastes rather plain so the few times I attend there I am hoping they did not add invalid ingredients. The part that makes me sick is-- The round flat loaf is brought up to the altar- Then during the Lamb of God- The Extraordinary Eucharistic Ministers all grab a portion and tear it into small pieces. It is very unsettling to see this- not to mention unsanitary.:nope:
I once attended Mass in Houston…they had a huge loaf as well…and tore it into pieces. Anyway…I went up to receive Communion…but was refused…because I would only accept it on the tongue.

Br. Rich SFO:
The thing to remember that the priest who “consecrated” soda pop or pizza didin’t Consecrate anything. Invalid matter does not Consecrate.
Not only that but the Sacrifice would not have been completed, so: no Mass. I wonder if such a thing happened whether the stipend for the Mass intention was returned.

A deacon at my home parish in Ohio gave teens communion at a youth retreat by saying “Wanna hit?” instead of “Body of Christ.” This occured mid 70’s and I think it was disgraceful for him to make a joke out of commuion and compare the Body of Christ with illegal drugs. It was also awful to simply assume all those teens actually used drugs!
:mad: :nope: :bigyikes: :tsktsk:

40.png
Fast_ed75:
When visiting in another state once, instead of a normal host I received a little chunk of flat bread. When back in the pew, I was shocked to notice crumbs in my hand. I talked to the priest about it after Mass. It may be a coincidence, but ever since then when I visit there they have had normal hosts.

This next part may be off topic, but “active lay participation” is neither wrong nor “liberal” at least according to the Vatican. (e.g, Christifideles Laici, www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_exhortations) .
Also, of the liturgical abuses I myself have witnessed, more have been done by “conservative” priests as others. Conservative isn’t the same as orthodox.

I finally found that website I was talking about earlier.

Click here. It’s sickening to see some of the pictures…also, take time to read the articles as they are very informitive.

I’ve always been looking to attend a traditional Mass, but there’s one giant problem. The nearest one near me is 30 minutes away and I have no transportation as I’m a rather “cheap” college student.

40.png
EddieArent:

Click here. It’s sickening to see some of the pictures…also, take time to read the articles as they are very informitive.
Indeed - that website IS sickening.

It would behoove us to be VERY careful in gulping down whole everything we read and see------and especially when many of those presenting it have a definite agenda. None of those pictures have an explanation from the source, only an interpretation by someone else (not a documentation) and that fully negative.

I believe there are many Catholics that will be terribly upset if everything in the church suddenly began to function the way they have been demanding-------because then they would have to think of something else to complain about and demand to be done their way.

This is not an indictment to those who have written here, but possibly a warning (and that to all of us). Better we concentrate primarily on our own growth to sanctity instead of looking for (and maybe hoping we find) that which we can condemn.

40.png
EddieArent:

I’ve always been looking to attend a traditional Mass, but there’s one giant problem. The nearest one near me is 30 minutes away and I have no transportation as I’m a rather “cheap” college student.
It seems to be abuses…(I don’t know about the authenticity of the pictures on the net nowadays)…but after reading some of the comments…the site seems quite extreme in a lot of its comments.

40.png
agname:
It seems to be abuses…(I don’t know about the authenticity of the pictures on the net nowadays)…but after reading some of the comments…the site seems quite extreme in a lot of its comments.
I haven’t read the site thoroughly, but I glimpsed some anti-Novus Ordo sentiments flying around there; it seems to criticise the Vatican II Popes and pro-SSPX sort-of-things,

comment: indeed, the portrayal/pictures of the abuses are sickening, but the claims are a bit extremes and misleading - the Novus Ordo is as valid and heavenly as the Tridentine, if correctly administered. Though indeed it has been a subject of many abuses, sadly. :mad:

I wouldn’t say it is very informative; in fact, it is not informative, at all.

I used to make the hosts for a parish we used to attend - just whole wheat flour & water. To me it was a ministry - I would pray as I made them. The only reason the priest decided to stop using homemade hosts was because they wouldn’t last. White flour, commercially made hosts never mold, they just get stale.

My church uses home-made bread… just white wheat flour, whole wheat flour, and water. As you might expect, such a bread will be kind of tough or chewy. To avoid problems with crumbs, and with EM’s having to “tear” it into little pieces, it is pre-cut into little squares, except for one whole loaf that the priest uses (and the priest is the only one who breaks and distributes this).

The real problems I see are that (because there are no preservatives) the bread is sometimes a little stale by the time it’s consecrated. And if there is a lot left over, and it sits in the tabernacle for a few hours until the next mass, it gets VERY tough! So if the priest consecrates much more than is needed, there is a real problem (like if it’s more than the priest can consume himself). So we tend to put out only enough for the typical attendance, and if there are extra people then the priest can get some reserved wafer hosts from the tabernacle (at daily mass we use wafer hosts). Finally, it’s just not that easy to make a “substantial” bread from just wheat flour and water that is consistently edible - if you overcook it, or don’t knead it just right, it can be rock-hard.

You might ask why we bother… I’m not sure, except that the “substantial” bread has been getting closer and closer to being licit - it used to contain honey, eggs, baking powder, etc. There are enough people in the parish who like the idea of substantial bread, that the pastor hasn’t gotten rid of it, but has at least gotten rid of the inappropriate ingredients. And now that we find that a “licit” substantial bread is tough and chewy and not that pleasant, maybe people will be less resistant to switching to wafers.

Incidentally, does everyone check the ingredients on wafer hosts? I think some of the suppliers (but not all) include preservatives. Some wafer hosts last almost forever, and I don’t think that’s natural. Does adding 0.1% potassium benzoate make it invalid matter?

40.png
Dolly:
It would behoove us to be VERY careful in gulping down whole everything we read and see------and especially when many of those presenting it have a definite agenda. None of those pictures have an explanation from the source, only an interpretation by someone else (not a documentation) and that fully negative.
true. In a few minutes with photoshop one can make a photo of a priest holding anything at the consecration. I’m not saying the photos are fakes at all, but photos are easily faked. Some web sites have weekly contests for faking photos on a given topic. I gather that some Catholics here are willing to believe the worst interpretation of any situation, even in something as simple as a sick person leaving Mass early.

It must be true - I saw it on the internet!

Re: that website.

I remember seeing a similar website and it turned out that a decent number of their pictures were actually non-Catholic services (Anglican\Episopalian, Lutheran ect…)

So without specific information (parish, times ect…) take info like that with a grain of salt, tequilla and a lime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back