Eucharistic Prayer V

  • Thread starter Thread starter cathyyoder
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cathyyoder

Guest
Greetings! I am a Catholic in Boise, Idaho and facilitate scripture study in our parish. During our last study of Acts, Paul quotes the Stoic philosopher, Epimenides in Act17,28 when he says ‘In him we live and move and have our being’. I’ve heard these same words during mass in one of the prefaces. Our pastor says they are in the preface for Eucharistic Prayer V. Why can’t I find that E P on line and is it going to change in the revised GERM?
 
This is in Preface VI for Sundays in Ordinary Time. The preface as a whole will undergo changes with the new translations, but the line “For in you we live and move and have our being” will remain.

There is no full missal online, but if you click this link and download the Gregorian Missal (pdf), you will find the preface on p. 62 in both the Latin and the current English translation. The forthcoming new translation has not been officially released yet.

FYI, the term is GIRM (General Instruction of the Roman Missal), not GERM; and the GIRM is the set of instructions at the beginning of the Missal, it’s not the texts of the Mass itself. It’s not (only) the GIRM that’s being revised, it’s the entire Missal itself. Hope this helps.
 
In the order of the Mass (2010) these eucharistic prayers are listed:

I, II, III, IV
Reconciliation I, II
Various Needs I, II, III, IV

usccb.org/romanmissal/order-of-mass.pdf

I read the some are not translated and are being moved to an additional volumn, such as those for children. I wonder what has happened to V.
 
In the order of the Mass (2010) these eucharistic prayers are listed:

I, II, III, IV
Reconciliation I, II
Various Needs I, II, III, IV

usccb.org/romanmissal/order-of-mass.pdf

I read the some are not translated and are being moved to an additional volumn, such as those for children. I wonder what has happened to V.
For whatever it may matter, the line cited is from one of the variable prefaces, not from a Eucharistic Prayer as such. There is no Eucharistic Prayer V.
 
For whatever it may matter, the line cited is from one of the variable prefaces, not from a Eucharistic Prayer as such. There is no Eucharistic Prayer V.
Thank you. No wonder I could not find an E. P. V in my missal!
 
Thanks, Mark, I appreciate the clarification. I figured it was a preface, but couldn’t find it. The GIRM may end up a germ if I’m not more careful. Again, thanks for the remedy.

CY
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top