S
SJE
Guest
I have seen this practice more than once in some churches. During the Eucharistic prayer --the celebrant does not elevate the host at all and does not genuflect at the appropriate times. It is more of a “recitation” of the prayer than a solemn act of transbustantiation. One explanation I have heard is that transubstantiation is the result of the enitre eucharstic prayer and not the specific elevations of the host and chalice, hence, I guess they feel this is a more holisitc approach (if you buy the argument that the whole prayer should be emphasized over the rubrics). To me, it seems to be another way of watering down the importance of the eucharistic celebration. The church I attend regularly is luckily very traditional and sacred --we kneel, sanctus bells are still rung, etc. Perhaps that is why this is such a stark contrast to me. Is there any justification for this practice? Since I have seen it more than once, there appears to me a faction that is pushing this approach.