Eucharistic Prayers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sparticus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sparticus

Guest
In my Sunday Missal I have always wondered how the Eucharistic Prayers are chosen week to week? (Saint Joseph Missal has 1,2,3,4,C1,C2,C3,R1,R2.) I would like to know so that I can follow along in preparation.
 
This is one of those places where it is entirely up to the priest as to what EP he uses.

I believe that the only “restriction” (at least here in the US and I use that word in it’s loosest sense :rolleyes:) is that the EP’s for Children should only be used in Masses that are predominantly children- i.e school Masses, First Communion Masses, etc. They would not be appropriate, IMHO and based on my understanding of the rubrics, for your typical Sunday Mass or a week day Mass where there are no children present. Not all priests in my diocese feel the same way, and apparently the Bishop leaves the decision to the indvidual Pastor.
 
This is one of those places where it is entirely up to the priest as to what EP he uses.

I believe that the only “restriction” (at least here in the US and I use that word in it’s loosest sense :rolleyes:) is that the EP’s for Children should only be used in Masses that are predominantly children- i.e school Masses, First Communion Masses, etc. They would not be appropriate, IMHO and based on my understanding of the rubrics, for your typical Sunday Mass or a week day Mass where there are no children present. Not all priests in my diocese feel the same way, and apparently the Bishop leaves the decision to the indvidual Pastor.
This is correct. The only other restriction I’m aware of is that EP4 has an invariable preface, and thus cannot be used on days which have proper prefaces (most solemnities, Sundays of Lent, that sort of thing). The GIRM contains these suggestions concerning the four principal Eucharistic prayers:
365. The choice among the Eucharistic Prayers found in the Order of Mass is suitably guided by the following norms:
a. Eucharistic Prayer I, that is, the Roman Canon, which may always be used, is especially suited to be sung or said on days when there is a proper text for the Communicantes (In union with the whole Church) or in Masses endowed with a proper form of the Hanc igitur (Father, accept this offering) and also in the celebrations of the Apostles and of the Saints mentioned in the Prayer itself; it is likewise especially appropriate for Sundays, unless for pastoral considerations Eucharistic Prayer III is preferred.

b. Eucharistic Prayer II, on account of its particular features, is more appropriately used on weekdays or in special circumstances. Although it has been provided with its own Preface, it may also be used with other Prefaces, especially those that summarize the mystery of salvation, such as the common Prefaces. When Mass is celebrated for a particular dead person, the special formula may be inserted in the place indicated, namely, before the Memento etiam (Remember our brothers and sisters).

c. Eucharistic Prayer III may be said with any Preface. Its use is preferred on Sundays and feast days. If, however, this Eucharistic Prayer is used in Masses for the Dead, the special formula for the dead may be used, to be included at the proper place, namely, after the Omnes filios tuos ubique dispersos, tibi, clemens Pater, miseratus coniunge (In mercy and love unite all your children).

d. Eucharistic Prayer IV has an invariable Preface and gives a fuller summary of salvation history. It may be used when a Mass has no Preface of its own and on Sundays in Ordinary Time. Because of its structure, no special formula for the dead may be inserted into this prayer.​
 
In my Sunday Missal I have always wondered how the Eucharistic Prayers are chosen week to week? (Saint Joseph Missal has 1,2,3,4,C1,C2,C3,R1,R2.) I would like to know so that I can follow along in preparation.
As the other posters said, while there is recommendations, there is no rules about when to use which ones (besides for IV and the “children’s” EPs)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top