Ever feel like you're living life too optimistically?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FullOfThought
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FullOfThought

Guest
I have always considered myself extremely blessed and loved, and when bad things come up I of course stress and worry about them but I move on. Today while I was driving I started thinking about all of the things that have happened over the last few years, especially this year and there are so many things that make me wonder why am I still so happy and optimistic? Is it my faith? Am I living in a fantasy world?

After moving to America 6 years ago and hating it (I now love it) I have had the following negative things happen:
  • 2 head injuries withdrawing me from college twice
  • Huge student loan debt 80k+
  • Diagnosed with a immune disorder which means I always get sick
  • My husband owns his own business and it’s very weather dependent, but after no snow this winter and no rain this summer we’re not doing as well as expected
  • Tons of medical bills
  • Heart condition which withdrew me from classes again
  • Can’t work or drive due to sickness
  • Waiting to hear back if I can take my PhD classes due to having withdraw, and I have to pay for a semester which I couldn’t attend
The following positive things have happened:
  • Completed RCIA 🙂
  • Met my husband
  • Married husband who I’m beyond in love with
  • Had this most romantic and stunning wedding in the world
  • Got given a honeymoon and flights over 4000miles away
  • Found an amazing house to rent for unbelievably cheap
  • Expecting our first child on our first cycle of trying
I really feel so blessed, even though we’re in so much debt and always sick. Any thoughts? Am I crazy? What’s my other options though… be depressed? No thanks!
 
Please keep feeling the way you are feeling. I have never, ever felt like I have been living too optimistically. I fail to see how a positive outlook on life is a bad thing.
 
I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a person criticized for complaining too little. 🙂

We all have bad things that come our way. We all have blessings. Far better to focus on the blessings than dwell on the neagative.

That’s the difference between the joy that comes from faith and mere happiness. Happiness is dependent on our circumstances and can come and go. It is often out of our control. Joy comes from the Lord and remains whatever happens to us.

Don’t stop being a person of joy. 👍
 
That’s the difference between the joy that comes from faith and mere happiness. Happiness is dependent on our circumstances and can come and go. It is often out of our control. Joy comes from the Lord and remains whatever happens to us.

Don’t stop being a person of joy. 👍
Oh I love this, thank you!
 
i envy you tbh xD your not crazy, your blessed by God to have such joy, praise God (:
 
I have always considered myself extremely blessed and loved, and when bad things come up I of course stress and worry about them but I move on. Today while I was driving I started thinking about all of the things that have happened over the last few years, especially this year and there are so many things that make me wonder why am I still so happy and optimistic? Is it my faith? Am I living in a fantasy world?

After moving to America 6 years ago and hating it (I now love it) I have had the following negative things happen:
  • 2 head injuries withdrawing me from college twice
  • Huge student loan debt 80k+
  • Diagnosed with a immune disorder which means I always get sick
  • My husband owns his own business and it’s very weather dependent, but after no snow this winter and no rain this summer we’re not doing as well as expected
  • Tons of medical bills
  • Heart condition which withdrew me from classes again
  • Can’t work or drive due to sickness
  • Waiting to hear back if I can take my PhD classes due to having withdraw, and I have to pay for a semester which I couldn’t attend
The following positive things have happened:
  • Completed RCIA 🙂
  • Met my husband
  • Married husband who I’m beyond in love with
  • Had this most romantic and stunning wedding in the world
  • Got given a honeymoon and flights over 4000miles away
  • Found an amazing house to rent for unbelievably cheap
  • Expecting our first child on our first cycle of trying
I really feel so blessed, even though we’re in so much debt and always sick. Any thoughts? Am I crazy? What’s my other options though… be depressed? No thanks!
What an uplifting post. God is so good. 🙂
 
Ever feel like you’re living life too optimistically?
Sometimes, sometimes the opposite. Sometimes I feel like I’m morally at fault for being sad, at other times for being happy, and certainly at yet other times for being apathic. Can’t find the niche or balance or whatever it is. Generally not focusing on happy, while trying not to neglect improving my quality of life, savour moments, enjoy some of the fine gifts God puts in front of us. Prefer optimism to pessimism anyway.
 
Well… I have often been accused of being too pessimistic so to answer your original question, ‘No I never feel like I am living life to optimistically’

To be honest, all the things you are happy about are good things. All the unfortunate things are part of life and lucky you for being able to copse so well.

Now had you written a different list something like this
  • I will soon have a PHD so I bought an excutive home
  • I am still young so I don’t take care of my health
  • My husband makes stupid business mistakes but that is OK
    Then yeah, I would say you are too optimistic.
But you just sound like a strong person

CM
 
“Accepting the will of God wholeheartedly is a sure way of finding joy and peace: happiness in the Cross. Then we realize that Christ’s yoke is sweet and that his burden is not heavy.”
St. Josemaria

🙂 You are doing well! 👍
 
I need to get the head injuries you got!

sorry. But who knows, maybe it “knocked” the pessimism part of your brain out, so the optimism shines through?

But on a serious note, we used to do this “spiritual gifts” assessments (it was when i was a protestant, but I think they would be perfectly in line with Catholic teaching)
and one of the gifts was “faith” which was someone who was very optimistic in their prayers, truly believing that God would do good things for them etc. And another was “encouragement/encouraging others”, and this type of person helps others see the “bright side” and helps them be thankful etc. so maybe this “optimism” thing you have going on is somehow meant to be a blessing to others also? I’m sure this is a gift that you could use to help others somehow. Maybe you could find a Catholic version of the “spiritual gifts test” online to confirm what I said?
peace
 
…I’m lucky if I can get through the day without at least a passing entertainment of suicide. So, no. Can’t say I relate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top