Ever Seen the Message in a Movie? - New Catholic Website

  • Thread starter Thread starter markbanks77uk
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markbanks77uk

Guest
Hey guys,

Soulfoodcinema launches today - the sight looks at the Catholic-Christian messages to be taken from the movies (or otherwise so).

The site looks at the Catholic-Christian messages to be taken from the movies (or otherwise so). I’m hoping it will be a good medium to use to explain the faith to fellow Catholics, other Christians and non-believers beyond.

Take a look and let me know what you think. I’ve already posted a couple of example essays on the site.

www.soulfoodcinema.com

God Bless you,

Mark
 
Mark, thanks for the link and work behind it. I missed Brideshead. Never saw it. Saw a portion of the trailer, & looks like something to miss. Am I, in turn, missing something.

Seeing seductions of the idle rich, or by anyone for that matter, is not my cup of tea at all.

Gave Wiki a quick peek about Waugh’s book. Looks VERY different from the trailer. What am I missing?
 
Well as I said on the website the original was listed on NCR’s top 100 Pro-Catholic films list, though it’s way down on my list of things to watch due it’s length.

I’m normally pretty good at guaging the ‘tone’ of a movie from its trailer and I’m with you in thinking this one may be one to miss. Without being too negative, if there were any positive Catholic associations in the book it wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve been watered down or completely extracted come this film version.

I saw Les Miserables (1998) the other day and though I’ve never read the novel, the movie did have some good Catholic recognition in it - in fact it went into my Top 100.
 
Mark are you connected to this website? I’d recommend getting rid of pdfs and just using normal html pages for the essays… pdfs are a giant pain in the butt.
 
I am connected to it yes.

My thoughts on putting the essays in PDF were to make them easily printable for distribution in paper format. I see you may have a point though and I’ll look into the best way to put them in HTML as well, maybe have the main link in HTML and then another PDF option to the side.

Thanks for the feedback JD
 
In that case, I’d suggest using a link to a “print-friendly version” like many websites do. It takes you to another html file that is formatted to look good on paper. If you still want to use the .pdfs, you could link to those as well.

Here is an example of a site that uses this method:
Ignatius Insight article
Print-friendly version

When I get a bit more time I’m going to check out the site. I’m a bit of a cinephile and might try to write something for you. Good luck!
 
Thanks I’ll do that. I remember now that Inside Catholic (insidecatholic.com/Joomla/) do the same thing.

And I’ll be grateful if you are able to put together a short essay on a film of your choice. Keep me posted.

Mark
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top