F
FuzzyBunny116
Guest
I vaguely understand the idea of evil being the absence of good. Would anyone like to comment? Or explain how good cannot be the absence of evil?
Can light be the absence of darkness? Is sound the absence of silence? I think in these questions only the opposite choices will work.I vaguely understand the idea of evil being the absence of good. Would anyone like to comment? Or explain how good cannot be the absence of evil?
You’re question immediately reminded me of some profound words by a Doctor of the Church.I vaguely understand the idea of evil being the absence of good. Would anyone like to comment? Or explain how good cannot be the absence of evil?
Good can exist without evil, whereas evil cannot exist without good.
**Saint Thomas Aquinas **
Wouldn’t Good be the absence of evil and not the other way around? Evil is, afterall, a twisted good. Something evil needs the things good to support it. An evil thing requires good things, but the good doesn’t need the evil.I vaguely understand the idea of evil being the absence of good. Would anyone like to comment? Or explain how good cannot be the absence of evil?
What about Neutral.I vaguely understand the idea of evil being the absence of good. Would anyone like to comment? Or explain how good cannot be the absence of evil?
The best way to understand this is that it is a proposition developed by Saint Augustine. Saint Augustine, before he became a Christian, was a Manechean. Manacheanism is a form of Persian Dualism, which essentially holds there are two “gods” – a good god and a bad god.Wouldn’t Good be the absence of evil and not the other way around? Evil is, afterall, a twisted good. Something evil needs the things good to support it. An evil thing requires good things, but the good doesn’t need the evil.
For example, Murder is spurred by a desire to seek pleasure in someones death. In this case the good pleasure has been warped so that it only appears at the taking of life.
The absence of evil is, to me, an inadequate, unclear concept…I vaguely understand the idea of evil being the absence of good. Would anyone like to comment? Or explain how good cannot be the absence of evil?
Hello FuzzyBunny,I vaguely understand the idea of evil being the absence of good. Would anyone like to comment? Or explain how good cannot be the absence of evil?
You obviously haven’t climbed up Croagh Patrick! There’s nothing good about climbing up that mountain, it’s pure evil I tell ya!!Going for a walk up Croagh Patrick is good when done with good intent.
Not going for a walk up Croagh Patrick is not evil.
Going for a walk is neutral.
Evil is the absence of good the same way that banannas are the absence of apples. They are not even opposites.I vaguely understand the idea of evil being the absence of good. Would anyone like to comment? Or explain how good cannot be the absence of evil?
I would view evil as the rejection of good (God’s Love) and not the absence of good.I vaguely understand the idea of evil being the absence of good. Would anyone like to comment? Or explain how good cannot be the absence of evil?
No, not every absence of good is evil, but certainly the absence of good gives evil a place to take root.Aquinas defined evil as the privation of good, i.e. the absence of a good that ought to be present. But not every absence of good is evil.
newadvent.org/summa/1048.htm
A wonderful fellow, that Leatherman, what an amazing brain!Going for a walk up Croagh Patrick is good when done with good intent.
Not going for a walk up Croagh Patrick is not evil.
Going for a walk is neutral.