Evil is always Insidious

  • Thread starter Thread starter CRATUS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CRATUS

Guest
Obviously, the ultimate goal is heaven. As much as I want to get involved in Church, it can easily become “clique-y.” It is easy to develop an us against the world attitude. Not only this, sometimes following the virtues becomes a competition. I guess this relates to my other post about chastity. While chastity is a virtue. I think sometimes people who have remained chaste look down on those who are less than Angels. While there is no excuse for my fornication, I am somehow a tainted woman because of it.

Sometimes I do not see worldly sins or people who are outside of the church as that bad. I am more afraid of falling into religious pride and alienating others.

Maybe I am casting judgment, but I do not want to get to close to other church members because I do not want to be super-churchy and forget about others.

I always feel like greater sin lurks in the churches. Not to say they are bad people. It looks more scandalous if I were to be regular churchgoer and still commit particular sins.

I was just thinking about how evil is subtle and often insidious. I always imagine temptation as a very beautiful, shapely woman in a provocative red dress who walks with her hips swaying and she has a sultry voice asking for illicit sex. It never happens that way.

I feel like there is greater temptation in healthy relationships. I feel like the Devil is always trying to take away things that are beautiful.
 
Maybe I am casting judgment, but I do not want to get to close to other church members because I do not want to be super-churchy and forget about others.

I always feel like greater sin lurks in the churches. Not to say they are bad people. It looks more scandalous if I were to be regular churchgoer and still commit particular sins.
First, I disagree with your title that evil is always insidious.

Second, I think you are too concerned with the attitudes that people have inside and outside the Church. If you fixate on the hypocrisy and lack of charity of some in the Church, you are not going to be a Catholic for long (or at least not a happy one). There are judgmental and uncharitable people in all walks of life, and it’s easy to find greater fault with those who are Catholic, or to be concerned with what outsiders will think of such hypocrisy.

I think a more constructive approach than worrying about the failings of others, and how that will be seen, is to try and find good people in the Church to associate with, and be a part of their good work and learn to value the community of faith. If you can’t find that anywhere in your current parish, it may be worthwhile to seek another parish that will nourish you and that you can contribute to.
 
Hello,

It is hard to walk the truth of what is asked. I am sorry you are struggling. It use to be very easy for me to do what I wished. Then it all changed. Christ never abandoned me. I chose my own path for nearly my whole life. It ended awful until one day. A very strong wake up call and work in progress today. I Pray to never go back to my way ever. I came upon a most beautiful Saint about 3 years ago. There is a website dedicated to her. St. Gemma Galgani. I hope you get a chance to see it.

stgemmagalgani.com/

God Bless you.
 
Seems to me like you’re more interested in “the kingdom” as Jesus describes it, which is attainable while the body is still alive, than in getting to “heaven” after it is dead.

For myself, I don’t really even think much about “heaven” or “hell” for myself, because my focus is on following the Good Advice of Jesus. And not so much what is said about Him, but what He taught in terms of judgment, loving each other, etc. And if I don’t get that right, I don’t see how worrying over whether I get to heaven would help my case.

Have you ever looked into any of the more “contemplative” or “mystical” aspects of the Church? Like writings of Teresa of Avila, for example? Or if there is a contemplative prayer group of Lectio Divina in your diocese you may find a completely different experience that isn’t so “churchy”. St. John of the Cross was only promoted to “doctor of the church” less than 100 years ago, so it seems writings like this are really only started to get into the “hive mentality” if you will, of Catholics, in this generation.
 
Well evil is often insidious, since it seeks not to be exposed. ‘what is done in the dark, will be brought into the light’ etc. They say ‘the devil’s in the detail’ etc because it is not obvious. How would Hitler have gotten away with the holocaust if he had announced up front to the whole of Germany, before he was elected, what he was planning on doing?
‘the devil can appear like an angel of light’. None of this is new.
 
Obviously, the ultimate goal is heaven. As much as I want to get involved in Church, it can easily become “clique-y.” It is easy to develop an us against the world attitude. Not only this, sometimes following the virtues becomes a competition. I guess this relates to my other post about chastity. While chastity is a virtue. I think sometimes people who have remained chaste look down on those who are less than Angels. While there is no excuse for my fornication, I am somehow a tainted woman because of it.

Answer: If you understood Christianity, what you worry about or fear will be unfounded. Where ever you f ind people you will always find imperfection and scandal, it is endemic in human nature I would suspect that people who remain chaste if they are true Christians would develop the virtue of humility knowing they could fail at anytime. We come into this world tainted, it’s the effect of Original Sin and no one is exempted except the Blessed Mother

Sometimes I do not see worldly sins or people who are outside of the church as that bad. I am more afraid of falling into religious pride and alienating others.

Answer: A fear that seems to be inspired by the devil, he rather keep you in a secular frame of mind.

Maybe I am casting judgment, but I do not want to get to close to other church members because I do not want to be super-churchy and forget about others.

Answer:
You are judging wrongly, a true Christian will never forget about others, especially those in need, and those others don’t have to be Christians. Love of God and neighbor is a divine command, the two greatest commands. Your thinking is not consistent with Christian values.

I always feel like greater sin lurks in the churches. Not to say they are bad people. It looks more scandalous if I were to be regular churchgoer and still commit particular sins.

Answer:
We are all sinners, and we can become forgiven sinners as long as we truly repent every time we sin, so that’s no excuse.

I was just thinking about how evil is subtle and often insidious. I always imagine temptation as a very beautiful, shapely woman in a provocative red dress who walks with her hips swaying and she has a sultry voice asking for illicit sex. It never happens that way.

Answer:
Evil can be often insidious, and subtle, especially to those who are really trying hard to be virtuous. A perfectly honest and well meaning relationship can turn into a very sensual relationship. Good people are often naive, idealists and innocent, but we are all weak. Jesus warns us of the devil who seeks our demise.

I feel like there is greater temptation in healthy relationships. I feel like the Devil is always trying to take away things that are beautiful.
Answer:
Yes, very true, he is a perverter, a liar, and a murderer, Jesus said so, there is no greater source of truth. I wouldn’t say there is greater temptation in healthy relationships, I would say that the devil has to work harder. Those in unhealthy, immoral relationships are already in his hip pocket they don’t need strong temptations, especially if they have lived or are living a life of vice (vice is a bad immoral habit)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top