V
Veritas6
Guest
I found this article where an atheist agrees a lot with Mark Linville’s beliefs that “[e]volution cannot explain moral values… Evolution only explains how we came to believe in moral facts.”
Quote from Linville:
Linville continues:
But this does not follow. We cannot trust our evolved sense of invisible agents… but does this mean we cannot have knowledge of spirits? Of course not!.. [W]e could know the existence of spirits through other means – inference from the apparent design in the universe, for example.
So Linville’s conclusion follows only if the sole possible source of moral knowledge is our evolved moral sense. But I see no reason to grant this hidden assumption. If moral facts exist, we may be able to infer them from scientific and rational discovery, and totally ignore our unreliable, evolved moral sense.” (Emphasis mine)
In a way I agree with this reasoning: we can infer a moral fact exists from our rationality and conscience. To “use evidence and reason to infer moral facts from the natural universe. I do not consult my evolved prejudices , I do not test my theory against them, and I use all the tools of science and logic to remove their influence from my moral calculus.”
Do you think this atheist is on the right track and Linville might be wrong? That even if we can’t trust our evolved moral senses for moral knowledge, we can still have moral knowledge? (Although I would base this on natural theology and the conscience instead of blind naturalism.)
http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=1244
Quote from Linville:
“But this clearly commits the genetic fallacy. The cause of a belief may be unreliable, but that does not mean the belief itself is false.”“it would appear that the human moral sense and the moral beliefs that arise from it are ultimately the result of natural selection, and their value is thus found in the adaptive behavior that they encourage. But then it seems that the processes responsible for our having the moral beliefs that we do are ultimately fitness-aimed rather than truth-aimed . This is to say that, in such a case, the best explanation for our having the moral beliefs that we do makes no essential reference to their being true. [(the author agrees with this part)]… This is to suggest that there are no objective moral facts, though we have been programmed to believe in them.”
Linville continues:
“Here, Linville argues that because we cannot trust our evolved moral ‘sense’ to give us moral knowledge, we cannot have moral knowledge at all.“A more modest conclusion might be that we are not in a position to know whether there are such facts because our moral beliefs are undercut by the Darwinian story of their genesis… Thus, our moral beliefs are without warrant.”
But this does not follow. We cannot trust our evolved sense of invisible agents… but does this mean we cannot have knowledge of spirits? Of course not!.. [W]e could know the existence of spirits through other means – inference from the apparent design in the universe, for example.
So Linville’s conclusion follows only if the sole possible source of moral knowledge is our evolved moral sense. But I see no reason to grant this hidden assumption. If moral facts exist, we may be able to infer them from scientific and rational discovery, and totally ignore our unreliable, evolved moral sense.” (Emphasis mine)
In a way I agree with this reasoning: we can infer a moral fact exists from our rationality and conscience. To “use evidence and reason to infer moral facts from the natural universe. I do not consult my evolved prejudices , I do not test my theory against them, and I use all the tools of science and logic to remove their influence from my moral calculus.”
Do you think this atheist is on the right track and Linville might be wrong? That even if we can’t trust our evolved moral senses for moral knowledge, we can still have moral knowledge? (Although I would base this on natural theology and the conscience instead of blind naturalism.)
http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=1244
Last edited: