EWTN Interview with Francis Cardinal Arinze

• Thread starter Thread starter Sanctus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sanctus

Did anyone else catch The World Over’s Inverview with Francis Cardinal Arinze? It was quite interesting…it touched on many many interesting issues including:

–The Role of Latin in the Church
–EMHCs
–The Role of the Tridentine Mass
–Alter Girls
–Celebration of the Mass Ad Orientem
–Pro-Choice Politicians and Holy Communion
–The Rainbow Sash group

And many more…Unfortunantly I don’t think it will re-air 😦 I think tonight was the last time The World Over (Encore) will be on before there is a new episode. I am wondering if anyone else watched the interview and what you thought of Cardinal Arinze? I found it absolutly refreshing. The Cardinal is humorus!

Let’s not put John Paul II in his grave just yet. I agree, however, that Arinze has the qualities I would love to see in a Pope 😉

+JMJ+

Saw it and it was insightful and informative. I am thinking about writing for the transcripts.

I would like that he was the next pope, although I prefer the cardinal of jartum( Sudan) and with the name of Peter II, that the millenarists will die of fear.😃

I am so pleased someone posted this thread. I thought the interview was extremely insightful. As an RCIA participant, he really made several issues very clear. I was gratified at the way he approached the politicians who promote abortion and then want to take communion. I loved his comment do you really need a CARDINAL to answer the question? If a politician says “I am for abortion today and I will be for abortion tomorrow” it’s pretty clear.

I thought he dealt with the Rainbow Sash issue in a very effective manner as well.

The issue of altar ‘girls’ was another good call. Rather than saying the preference for young men was yet another bit of evidence that women are demeaned in the Church, his comment that this is where we will find our future priests made perfect sense to me. And yes some of the girls could become religious but given the need for priests, getting young people inspired is a good thing.

I am also thinking of getting a transcript or CD from the show. The Cardinal is really an inspiration, strong yet compassionate and so very clear in his thought and words.

Lisa N

Lisa N:
I am so pleased someone posted this thread. I thought the interview was extremely insightful. As an RCIA participant, he really made several issues very clear. I was gratified at the way he approached the politicians who promote abortion and then want to take communion. I loved his comment do you really need a CARDINAL to answer the question? If a politician says “I am for abortion today and I will be for abortion tomorrow” it’s pretty clear.

I thought he dealt with the Rainbow Sash issue in a very effective manner as well.

The issue of altar ‘girls’ was another good call. Rather than saying the preference for young men was yet another bit of evidence that women are demeaned in the Church, his comment that this is where we will find our future priests made perfect sense to me. And yes some of the girls could become religious but given the need for priests, getting young people inspired is a good thing.

I am also thinking of getting a transcript or CD from the show. The Cardinal is really an inspiration, strong yet compassionate and so very clear in his thought and words.

Lisa N
+JMJ+

Lisa, Welcome Home!!! God bless you on your journey through RCIA!

I missed the Rainbow Sash comments! What did he say? I had to turn it off before it was finished. 😦 Another reason why I would like to get the transcripts. My daughter watched it when he discussed whether receiving in the hand or on the tongue was more or less appropriate. His explanation caused her to say, “That’s it! It’s on the tongue from now on!”

Lisa N:

Lisa N
The show will be available on the Internet (EWTN site) - I think it is posted a week or so after the original show.

Lisa,

It was an awesome interview–I missed part of the beginning. What did he have to say about Altar servers?

I saw it a few days ago, I thought his replies were dead on the
button.
It was repeated Sunday here, so if you look up the February schedule online, then it may be on again before the end of the month.

The show will be posted to the EWTN news archive page to download for free. Should be there by now.

See ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=-6892288&T1=world

There is also a show posted there aired originally on 10/24/1997 which focussed on abuses in the Mass. Again very worth while listening to and downloading.

See ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?pgnu=7&SeriesID=-6892288

I watched it and found it most refreshing. I have emailed EWTN and Raymond my congrats on last show.

40.png
TPJCatholic:
Lisa,

It was an awesome interview–I missed part of the beginning. What did he have to say about Altar servers?
Well this isn’t word for word, but he said that he himself was ordained to the priest-hood because of another priests influence.
Not sure if he said he was an altar boy, but he said if you have a number of boys serving, some of them will be attracted into the priesthood.
So I assume that he was an altar boy, plus the priest that influenced him is beatified.
He didn’t say anything contary to my belief, plus he cleared up the misconception of receiving on the hand or tongue. (it’s up to the local Bishop).
Plus for some that want a Latin Mass, it’s up to the local Bishop to appoint a Mass for that time, but both can be catered for (English or Latin).

Actually he said that altar boys are to be prefered as this is traditionally where vocations come from.

As to the Latin issue, he did say that it is not the choice of the priest and when the laity can not respond in Latin that Latin should not be used.

I heard it on Saturday and couldn’t turn off the car radio. Great interview I find in full of insight and inspiration. The Church needs more like him.

God Bless,
Kathleen

40.png
ByzCath:
Actually he said that altar boys are to be prefered as this is traditionally where vocations come from.

Yes that is my recollection. It wasn’t an effort to devalue girls but to provide young men with the opportunity to work closely with a priest and possibly feel the call to a vocation.

I have to say I am so impressed by our altarservers. They are committed, serious, disciplined and so dependable. Not to mention just plain adorable in their white garments. I didn’t see that level of dedication with “acolytes” in my former Protestant church. Often the child wouldn’t show up (obviously due to parents not bringing them) and it really wasn’t taken seriously. They’d just grab a kid on the way in and say “Can you light the candles?” I always thought that was irreverent.

Lisa N

I heard it on Saturday and couldn’t turn off the car radio. I find him very insightful and full of inspiration. The Church needs more like him.

God Bless,
Kathleen

maryprayforme said:
+JMJ+

Lisa, Welcome Home!!! God bless you on your journey through RCIA!

I missed the Rainbow Sash comments! What did he say? I had to turn it off before it was finished. 😦 Another reason why I would like to get the transcripts. My daughter watched it when he discussed whether receiving in the hand or on the tongue was more or less appropriate. His explanation caused her to say, “That’s it! It’s on the tongue from now on!”

FIrst thank for the welcome! My only regret is that I didn’t realize that the Church was my real home until now.

The Rainbow Sash comments were mostly with respect to the Bishop who seems to be welcoming the dissent by the Rainbow Sash group and claimed that Cardinal Arinze gave his blessing to allow the RS group take Communion. Cardinal Arinze said yes they DID have a discussion on the matter but NO he did NOT say that overt dissent would be accepted and that Communion should not be given if the person was not in a state to receive Communion. I hope I am doing justice to his statements but the basic gist was that he did NOT counsel Bishop Flynn to welcome Rainbow Sash to the communion rail.

I really appreciated the forthright way he spoke. He did not waffle or equivocate or try to soft pedal the comments on the controversial matters, yet the message was given with humor, kindness and compassion. He is an incredible asset to the Church.

LIsa N

Lisa N:
FIrst thank for the welcome! My only regret is that I didn’t realize that the Church was my real home until now.

The Rainbow Sash comments were mostly with respect to the Bishop who seems to be welcoming the dissent by the Rainbow Sash group and claimed that Cardinal Arinze gave his blessing to allow the RS group take Communion. Cardinal Arinze said yes they DID have a discussion on the matter but NO he did NOT say that overt dissent would be accepted and that Communion should not be given if the person was not in a state to receive Communion. I hope I am doing justice to his statements but the basic gist was that he did NOT counsel Bishop Flynn to welcome Rainbow Sash to the communion rail.

I really appreciated the forthright way he spoke. He did not waffle or equivocate or try to soft pedal the comments on the controversial matters, yet the message was given with humor, kindness and compassion. He is an incredible asset to the Church.

LIsa N
+JMJ+

LisaN,

First of all, everything that has led up to this juncture in your life will confirm you in your Catholic faith. So no beating yourself up over not coming to it sooner. Many of us Cradle Catholics had to learn lessons from the School of Hard Knocks before realizing we should have been living our faith better or at all even. This will be a tremendous victory for your soul because it is hard fought, earned, and will be so much sweeter and full of the flavor of truth. I was my now husband’s (then boyfriend) sponsor in his Initiation into the Church Easter 1998. I have been to a couple other Initiationssince then and tears come to my eyes. The joy permeates the church building. The important thing is you are coming home! 🙂

Secondly, I have to agree with you that Cardinal arinze is not a waffler! Amen! We really need someone to give it to us straight and I pray that his voice will continue to be heard. I loved his answer on the politician who openly supports abortion. I think our bishop needed to hear that the weeks leading up to the election. He had appeared at my hubby’s Knights of Columbus meeting and urged them to support the “pro-labor, pro-worker candidate”. They pursued it a bit and he did indeed mean John Kerry. When asked about his pro-death stance, he said that he was more concerned with social justice for the poor. Uhh, Hello! Killing them off aint especially social justification!

Lisa N:

Lisa N
Yeah I really did love the “do you really need a Cardinal from the Vatican to answer that question?!?!” He seemed as if he just said what he thought, which I can really appreciate in today’s world. Oh yeah, Welcome to the Church and have a great time in RCIA!

Lisa N:

Lisa N
Yeah I really did love the “do you really need a Cardinal from the Vatican to answer that question!!!” He seemed as if he just said what he thought, which I can really appreciate in today’s world. Oh yeah, Welcome to the Church and have a great time in RCIA–have a wonderful Lent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back