EWTN

  • Thread starter Thread starter SacredHeartFan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SacredHeartFan

Guest
Does anyone else feel that EWTN is too one sided? I mean they only show a small portion of Catholicism. They show all the tradditional Latin things and that’s it. Traddtion is good but they don’t show the rest of Catholicism, like the Africans’ culture rich masses, the Chineese devotion to Mary, etc. They have a Cajun mass down here in Louisiana. Why can’t they show the universitaility (sp?) of the church??

To all tradditionalist:

The latin traddition is beautiful and it is a part of culture but you need to incorporate your own culture into your church. Part of Louisiana’s culture is Cajun and as stated above we have Cajun masses said in Cajun French with great cajun music. The africans really get into their mass! 👍 The whole Latin thing is a very big part of European culture. So they use it.
 
I’d love it if EWTN would show some more Eastern Catholic stuff. There are several Eastern Catholic parishes in Birmingham, so they don’t have much excuse. If they really wanted, they could show a Divine Liturgy once or twice a month.

Alaha minokhoun,
Andrew
 
I’d love it if EWTN would show some more Eastern Catholic stuff. There are several Eastern Catholic parishes in Birmingham, so they don’t have much excuse. If they really wanted, they could show a Divine Liturgy once or twice a month.

Alaha minokhoun,
Andrew
Just another example. Why can’t they show the Eastern stuff?
 
I can’t really say why EWTN does or does not air certain things (though, I think that they air anything at all is a great blessing). I don’t really watch it often enough to know whether it’s one-sided or not. Have you tried writing to them with your ideas?

One point to keep in mind: You are speaking mainly of cultural things, not doctrinal things. It would probably be impractical for them to try to represent every different culture (although, it would probably not be difficult to represent a few). No single Catholic apostolate is required to take on everything. Perhaps it is simply not part of their mission. My experience is that many of us are not familiar with the traditional Latin culture. Perhaps that is why they emphasize it.

Plus, if they start representing some cultures, then you might get all sorts of people wondering why this or that group hasn’t been represented yet. It could be difficult to keep up with. Like it or not, the “Latin culture” is more universal in the Church than any other individual culture (which are determined mostly by geography).

On top of everything, they are trying to do as much as they can with their limited budget. That may also factor in to such decisions.

I’m not trying to put down any of your ideas or anything. Just theorizing about possible explanations as to why they may not take your suggestions and run with them :o
 
To all tradditionalist:
I really hate it when people correct other people’s spelling on internet forums, but you misspelled “tradition” four times in one post! :bigyikes: (There’s only one “d”).

I just wanted to point it out to you in a friendly way before someone else might come along and point it out in a not so friendly way. 🙂 I’d hate for someone to dismiss your ideas over a spelling error. 😉
 
Why doesn’t EWTN show more [fill in the blank]?

Short answer, money.

Long answer they show what they can. I have seen Eastern rite Masses on EWTN. Are they on all the time? No.

It is cheaper for them to show Masses at their Shrine because they have all the cameras in place, the broadcast rights etc. already nailed down. When they show Masses from other locations, other people are usually footing the bill. I know the KoC usually pays for them to show Masses from the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and Rome. I don’t know who foots the bill when they show Masses from places like the Divine Mercy Mass and other locations.

Money speaks. If you can get a number of Eastern rite people to write EWTN and pledge money or pledge to pay for them to come to an Eastern rite church somewhere, they will show it.

The one thing about EWTN is they show what they want, and I am sure they will make sure whatever they show abides by the teaching of the magesterium. I doubt you will see any clown Masses whether the person pays for them to be there or not.
 
I really hate it when people correct other people’s spelling on internet forums, but you misspelled “tradition” four times in one post! :bigyikes: (There’s only one “d”).

I just wanted to point it out to you in a friendly way before someone else might come along and point it out in a not so friendly way. 🙂 I’d hate for someone to dismiss your ideas over a spelling error. 😉
sory i can’nt spel 🙂

it’s my worst subject! I am horriable at speling!
 
Ratings also have to play a part in this.

While I’m happy for the cajuns and happy that the African culture has a rich mass, they are pretty small communities when compared to the whole in the US. I’m pretty sure the ratings for a show on Chinese devotion to Mary would be rather small. So they show what the majority of its viewers want to see.

All that said, I have seen some shows featuring African priests and bishops, Vietnamese priests, Australian religous orders and such, so I think they do a pretty good job of varying there programming, but in the end, if the audience wants to see Latin Rite, than thats what they will show…🙂
 
Ratings also have to play a part in this.

While I’m happy for the cajuns and happy that the African culture has a rich mass, they are pretty small communities when compared to the whole in the US. I’m pretty sure the ratings for a show on Chinese devotion to Mary would be rather small. So they show what the majority of its viewers want to see.

All that said, I have seen some shows featuring African priests and bishops, Vietnamese priests, Australian religous orders and such, so I think they do a pretty good job of varying there programming, but in the end, if the audience wants to see Latin Rite, than thats what they will show…🙂
I do watch the Church and the Poor. very good show. and it shows alot of African culture. I like that. And it’s not just what the American’s want. These programs are broadcasted all over the world. Even if they didn’t show all they could at least show some. They could bump some of the older shows like Bob and Penny Lord. (I love the info. can stand the production. :banghead: it looks like they had their ten-year-old grandson follow them with a camcorder.)
 
Ratings also have to play a part in this.
I doubt ratings play a role directly since EWTN doesn’t have commercials. Ratings only matter when you have advertisers.

I personally have a feeling that some of the things EWTN shows have pretty low ratings. Sometimes latenight they show live feeds from Rome without any commentary or interpretation. I have a feeling not many people are watching it.

EWTN would be more interested in the donations. If they have someone step up and say I would like you to broadcast this Mass that conforms to the GIRM from Louisiana and we will pay the costs. If they can see the benifits, they will probably say sure.
 
EWTN has shown Divine Liturgies of several rites over the last year. I recall watching two from the Ukranians, one from the Maronites, and a Syro-Malankar (possibly Malabar?) Divine Liturgy that was held at the EWTN chapel.
 
Laudatur Iesus Christus.

The use of Latin on EWTN seems helpful and correct.

Latin is not merely a part of the “culture” of Europe. It is part of the culture of the Church. By “culture” I do not mean merely what people happen to do, but what one cultivates as proper when one gives careful thought to formation.

The Holy Spirit and the Conciliar Fathers of Vatican II taught that “the use of the Latin language is to be preserved in the Latin rites,” (Vatican II, Sacrosanctum Concilium, (1963), 36.) Even in the norms for adapting the Liturgy to the culture and traditions of peoples, the general restrictions are made that adaptations are to be allowed (by Rome) “so long as they harmonize with [the Liturgy’s] true and authentic spirit,” (Ibid., 37), and with care that “the substantial unity of the Roman rite is preserved,” (Ibid., 38).

When adaptations to local languages and customs are made, “[n]evertheless steps should be taken so that the faithful may also be able to say or to sing together in Latin those parts of the Ordinary of the Mass which pertain to them,” (Ibid., 54).

So, the use of Latin elements on EWTN is not “one-sided.” Rather, it is an authentic reflection of the needs of the Church and the teachings of the Second Vatican Council. Viewers are aided in learning those parts of the Ordinary of the Mass which all should be able to say or sing in Latin.

Further, the unity of the Latin rite, and of the Universal Church, is aided by acknowledging that Latin is the normative language of the Liturgy and of the Magisterium. This is of great use when one is trying to understand the teachings of the Church, which may be only imperfectly reflected in translations into a given language. Considering the teachings of Christ through the “binocular vision” of both one’s mother tongue and Latin allows for insight and greater accuracy in grasping the full and authentic meaning of the gospel. (Of course a working knowledge of Greek is also a great addition – for a “tri-ocular” view on the Scriptures; but, the Magisterium through the ages is expressed in Latin and the Vulgata is a reliable guide to the meaning of the Scriptures.)

“These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will drive out demons, they will speak new languages,” (Mark (NAB) 16:17).

For one who speaks English or Cajun, etc., one of the “new languages” should be Latin. For the Church, English and Cajun are both new.

None of this is to say that Masses using approved languages and other approved variations should not be shown on EWTN, so long as an appropriate warning is given that such variations are not universally licit. (Without such a warning, the viewers might be mistakenly encouraged to import elements into their parishes which are not legitimate or organic parts of their local “culture,” and which they have no authority to incorporate into the Liturgy of the Church. In fact, now that EWTN is broadcasting the Mass around the world, such a warning about the adaptations for the U.S., which are shown, should perhaps be part of the introduction to the broadcasts.)

Nevertheless, Latin is not a “cultural adaptation;” it is the typical form of the Liturgy, an essential element of the Latin rites, and a central tool for unity in the Universal Church. Because of this, Latin should not be put on an equal footing or given “equal coverage” with particular cultural adaptations, if the interests of the Church are to be served.

Spiritus Sapientiae nobiscum.

John Hiner
 
Why doesn’t EWTN show more [fill in the blank]?

Short answer, money.

Long answer they show what they can. I have seen Eastern rite Masses on EWTN. Are they on all the time? No.

It is cheaper for them to show Masses at their Shrine because they have all the cameras in place, the broadcast rights etc. already nailed down. When they show Masses from other locations, other people are usually footing the bill. I know the KoC usually pays for them to show Masses from the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and Rome. I don’t know who foots the bill when they show Masses from places like the Divine Mercy Mass and other locations.

Money speaks. If you can get a number of Eastern rite people to write EWTN and pledge money or pledge to pay for them to come to an Eastern rite church somewhere, they will show it.

The one thing about EWTN is they show what they want, and I am sure they will make sure whatever they show abides by the teaching of the magesterium. I doubt you will see any clown Masses whether the person pays for them to be there or not.
Marauder has nailed it.
EWTN is showing what they have.
My suggestion to anyone wishing to see other things is twofold.
  1. Become a contributor, even if just a small one. Then you can feel comfortable about making your wishes known.
  2. Get involved. See if you can create, or help to create something that they might like to air. If that is a “cajun” mass, how about taping one. Maybe someone could try starting a grouping through EWTN to gather masses from different areas and different Rites that can then be shown.
They also show that which is central to Catholicism. One of their goals is to provide a central base of authentic Catholic Teaching. Perhaps this is why some feel it is too “traditional”. EWTN is a touchstone of orthodoxy in the world. When you watch something on EWTN you can be sure that it reflects actual Catholic teaching and not someones interpretation of what that teaching is or they think it should be.
This is their great strength. By showing only that which is true and orthodox they avoid conflict and contradiction.
Their great success is, I believe, proof enough of God’s favor on them.

Peace
James
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top