F
Faith1960
Guest
Did Pope Pius speak ex cathedra in Humani Generis?
No. But that does not mean that Humani Generis is not binding on all the faithful.Did Pope Pius speak ex cathedra in Humani Generis?
We don’t know. The Church has not told us. The only way we can know such things with certainty is if the Church tells us. This has happened only twice[sup]*[/sup], so it is an extremely rare event.Did Pope Pius speak ex cathedra in Humani Generis?
I thought only comments made ex cathedra were binding to Catholics.We don’t know. The Church has not told us. The only way we can know such things with certainty is if the Church tells us. This has happened only twice[sup]*[/sup], so it is an extremely rare event.
But it doesn’t matter. Whether the teaching is ex Cathedra is irrelevant to nearly all laypeople (the only people who might care would be a few canon lawyers and apologists). This teaching, like all Church teaching, is to be fully accepted by all Catholics, regardless of whether it has been defined as infallible or not.
[sup][/sup]Ordinatio Sacerdotalis was not an ex Cathedra teaching. It was merely John Paul the Great proclaiming the infallible nature of a teaching of the ordinary Magesterium (ie, the dispersed Bishops). It was not an exercise of Papal ex Cathedra* teaching, as he was quite careful to point out. This is the third (of three) teachings that the Church has defined as infallible, as far as I know, but it is a different kind of infallibility. There are three types of infallibility. An Ecumenical Council may teach infallibly, but the Church has not defined that any portion of any Council is infallible in nature, as far as I know, so we may not claim (with certainty) that any Council has ever taught infallibly.
This is a HUGE misconception. Regardless of whether a teaching of the Church is infallible or not, we are expected to accept it.I thought only comments made ex cathedra were binding to Catholics.
On what fact precisely are you interested in?Faith1960 #1
Did Pope Pius speak ex cathedra in Humani Generis?
Polygenism/monogenism. Science tells us there was never a human bottleneck of fewer than 10,000 people.On what fact precisely are you interested in?
The Church does not teach through merely “comments”. She teaches through dogma and doctrine which may and are repeated in various ways by popes, Ecumenical Councils, bishops and priests.Faith1960 #5
I thought only comments made ex cathedra were binding to Catholics.
Monogenism is a binding doctrine of the Church. I understand your scientific concern about this.Polygenism/monogenism. Science tells us there was never a human bottleneck of fewer than 10,000 people.
I have read him as well as Kemp but I thought some people here thought their (VERY good) explanations were shot down by some posters here on CAF and that just upset me more.Monogenism is a binding doctrine of the Church. I understand your scientific concern about this.
For help, there’s a really good classical Thomist you might want to check out named Edward Feser. This is a good article by him about Adam and original sin in the face of modern biology:
edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2011…in-part-i.html
edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2011…t-ii.html#more
Hope that helps.
I’m not aware of Feser or Kemp ever having been refuted. If they had, I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t be the lynch pin of monogenists.I have read him as well as Kemp but I thought some people here thought their (VERY good) explanations were shot down by some posters here on CAF and that just upset me more.
Everything the Church teaches is binding.I thought only comments made ex cathedra were binding to Catholics.
False – nothing and no one can genuinely contradict Catholic doctrine – make the effort to read Fr Harrison’s many factsFaith1960 #11
All I can say is it’s pretty much a fact that Homo sapiens were never down to two people.
See what I mean?False – nothing and no one can genuinely contradict Catholic doctrine – make the effort to read Fr Harrison’s many facts
I agree with your spiritual director. You will get a lot of opinions here from anonymous internet warriors, some of whom have no idea what they are talking about. Don’t let it be a burden to you.See what I mean?It’s things that I’ve been reading here on CAF that has gotten me thinking a lot about leaving the Church. Of course some of this is my fault, I have OCD and have obsessions about religious issues and my former spiritual director, as well as a num told me to stop reading and posting on CAF since I get so worked up about some of what I read here.
Unless and until anyone is prepared to find out and assent to the doctrine taught by the Church, how can they know truth from error? Neither scientists nor anyone else are gods, and real science cannot contradict truth which is one.Faith1960 #17
I get so worked up about some of what I read here.