D
DeepeningFaith
Guest
From Fr.z’s blog:
So Father, this weekend I attended the baptism of my cousins daughter.
The PRIEST said the words properly, BUT this perfectly healthy priest was NOT baptizing the child, the “DEACON of the word” was doing the pouring of the water.
Father held the microphone and naught else.
The DEACON did the anointing with oils, as FATHER said the prayer.
Fr.Z’s response:Legit? Simply odd?
Invalid.
The “baptism” needs to be repeated.
Before writing this I consulted an appropriate ecclesial authority for an opinion.
I would immediately relate this to the local bishop.
Write up everything with photos and videos if there are any of the baptism. Documentation, proofs, are very useful. In addition, you might get written descriptions of what happened from others who were there.
Send them to the local bishop and also to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.
Send a cover letter, with a description, but without your own editorial comment.
Indicate to the bishop that you have sent a copy to the Congregation.
Have you ever encounterred this?His Eminence
William Card. Levada
Prefect for the Congregation
for the Doctrine of the Faith
Palazzo del Sant’Uffizio
00120 VATICAN CITY