T
TheAdvocate
Guest
We say that the ends don’t justify the means in Catholic theology. But aren’t we a bit absolute about it? Aren’t there legitimate exceptions, such as:
Say I’m driving my 77 year old dad around, helping him with errands. Suddenly, he get a heart attack right in the car. I speed down the freeway at 85 mph – let’s say it’s a Sunday morning, and it’s safe to do so in my judgment. My father’s life is saved. In fact, in hindsight, the doctors tell me that had I gotten there any later, even minutes, he would have died. Why? Because he went into cardiac arrest as soon as he was admitted. But they quickly brought him back.
So…I sped, violating civil law–an evil, right? An evil toward a good end, saving the life of my father. So are there exceptions to ends justifying the means? Or does that principle only apply to grave evil (what we’d call mortal sins).
John Paul the Great wrote something somewhere that “sometimes it is permissible to tolerate a lesser evil to avoid a greater one (does anyone remember where this is written?)”. So the lesser evil would be the “venial evil” that would be permissible toward a good end?
Say I’m driving my 77 year old dad around, helping him with errands. Suddenly, he get a heart attack right in the car. I speed down the freeway at 85 mph – let’s say it’s a Sunday morning, and it’s safe to do so in my judgment. My father’s life is saved. In fact, in hindsight, the doctors tell me that had I gotten there any later, even minutes, he would have died. Why? Because he went into cardiac arrest as soon as he was admitted. But they quickly brought him back.
So…I sped, violating civil law–an evil, right? An evil toward a good end, saving the life of my father. So are there exceptions to ends justifying the means? Or does that principle only apply to grave evil (what we’d call mortal sins).
John Paul the Great wrote something somewhere that “sometimes it is permissible to tolerate a lesser evil to avoid a greater one (does anyone remember where this is written?)”. So the lesser evil would be the “venial evil” that would be permissible toward a good end?