T
TerryFrancisJr
Guest
I know Heresy is one of the things considered an automatic excommunication, but what exactly constitutes heresy? I ask because I have denied Church teachings in the past, before I believed it was seriously wrong. I also went through a period where I believed Church teachings, but stayed in mortal sin and stopped ‘caring’. I sometimes tried to convince myself that God didn’t exist just to comfort myself and make myself feel less guilty.
Recently, I was talking to someone, and gave an opinion on something that I thought might have been contrary to Church teaching. I was wrong, but at the time I thought it could’ve been against Church teaching. I convinced myself that I was obligated to correct myself to him, but hesitated because I was trying to find a non-embarassing way to phrase it. I had started to make my point to him, but was interrupted by the person speaking at the place we were at. When the speaker was done, I had a thought, “I’ll just not correct myself, and if I find out it’s considered heresy, I’ll deal with excommunication later.”. I quickly gave into the thought for a few seconds, but stopped myself agreeing with the thought, and decided to explain it to him more. Was that hesitation or the quick agreement with the thought grounds for automatic excommunication? Technically, my intention remains the same, regardless of whether or not what I said was actually heresy.
Also, I go to Mass in the mornings sometimes during the week. I was thinking earlier about whether I would receive Communion in the morning if it turned out I was excommunicated. I briefly thought about how easy and tempting it would be, and thought “Yes, I’d probably do that.” For a second, consciously. I put up a weak resistance against the thought, was drawn to it and thought it again briefly (1 or 2 times), but in the end, rejected it. This has happened a couple of times since. Was this also grounds for it?
I’m scrupulous, so I’m very lost on this.
EDIT: 2nd paragraph, I meant to say I gave in for a few seconds.
Recently, I was talking to someone, and gave an opinion on something that I thought might have been contrary to Church teaching. I was wrong, but at the time I thought it could’ve been against Church teaching. I convinced myself that I was obligated to correct myself to him, but hesitated because I was trying to find a non-embarassing way to phrase it. I had started to make my point to him, but was interrupted by the person speaking at the place we were at. When the speaker was done, I had a thought, “I’ll just not correct myself, and if I find out it’s considered heresy, I’ll deal with excommunication later.”. I quickly gave into the thought for a few seconds, but stopped myself agreeing with the thought, and decided to explain it to him more. Was that hesitation or the quick agreement with the thought grounds for automatic excommunication? Technically, my intention remains the same, regardless of whether or not what I said was actually heresy.
Also, I go to Mass in the mornings sometimes during the week. I was thinking earlier about whether I would receive Communion in the morning if it turned out I was excommunicated. I briefly thought about how easy and tempting it would be, and thought “Yes, I’d probably do that.” For a second, consciously. I put up a weak resistance against the thought, was drawn to it and thought it again briefly (1 or 2 times), but in the end, rejected it. This has happened a couple of times since. Was this also grounds for it?
I’m scrupulous, so I’m very lost on this.
EDIT: 2nd paragraph, I meant to say I gave in for a few seconds.