Excommunication

  • Thread starter Thread starter Apostate
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what actual practice in American dioceses is these days regarding defection? I did mine back in 2009 before the newer moto proprio thing and they processed it just as it said in the 2006 rules. Apparently in Ireland at least, since the new rules they’ve stopped processing formal defections. The word is that they’ll record your name on a register of people who want to defect, but don’t process it as a formal canonical thing because the concept was done away with, or at least did away with its main justification in canon law, ie the marriage forms.
 
Does anyone know what actual practice in American dioceses is these days regarding defection? I did mine back in 2009 before the newer moto proprio thing and they processed it just as it said in the 2006 rules. Apparently in Ireland at least, since the new rules they’ve stopped processing formal defections. The word is that they’ll record your name on a register of people who want to defect, but don’t process it as a formal canonical thing because the concept was done away with, or at least did away with its main justification in canon law, ie the marriage forms.
I read that the USA gets very few formal defections. The only consequence of a defection, since 1983 and prior to promogulation of Omnium in Mentem (in effect Dec 21, 2010) was that the defector could validly marry without observing canonical form. That is no longer in effect, so I suppose even less people will defect. It would be logical to not make a note of if in the baptismal records if it has no canonical effects.
 
Hello,

I was raised what I call “vaguely Catholic.” My family only ever attended Mass sporadically, we were not even christmas/ easter catholics. I was baptized but never Confirmed and I have never been to Confession. I haven’t been to Mass since summer 2004, but since my teen years I’ve been an atheist (OK I had an intensive interest in Buddhism from 1998-2003). Over the last 2 years I’ve been listening to the local Catholic radio station quite regularly to learn more about the faith out of curiosity & in the interest of intellectual honesty. I find that the more I learn from the source, the more certain I become that the Church is, well out of respect for this forum let me just say that it’s not for me. So I want to be officially excommunicated. How can I do that? I do not believe in any god or gods and I feel dishonest knowing that I may still be technically catholic and I’m sure that true believers don’t want an apostate in their midst. Is there a process or is just not attending Mass enough? 🤷

I realize that this may be a shock to most. I didn’t join this forum to debate the issues (since the debate would never end) or to bait anyone. I really just want to know about excommunication and I’m willing to respectfully answer questions about my Catholic experience and lack of faith. 👍
Not attending mass is enough I think. Just because the catholic church did the baptism doesnt make you ACTUALLY catholic. When you are confirmed then you are ACTUALLY catholic. Just like when someone leaves the catholic faith for another, they dont get excommunicated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top