Exorcism?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sanctus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sanctus

Ok, so all the documentaries and movies on the subject aside—does the Church formally perform exorcisms anymore? I remember hearing some blurb on the news a few years ago about a girl allegedly had an exorcism at the Vatican where she started speaking in multiple languages. I know as far as America we have a tendency just to fix everything with medication, but we are a Universal Church so is this practice more prevalent in other parts of the world? If so how often?

Thanks!

They do still do them and I have heard that those books are wonderful.

Let’s put it this way.Every diocese in Britain possesses an exorcist. He might also have assistants.The reason we know little about them is that they believe in keeping their action against the serious opposition of demons a church secret.Special forces do not publicise their activity either.

Correspondence with exorcists in Rome will rarely be acknowledged, but their prayer is still efficacious and men of great worth are often recruited into the ranks although technically it is an order below deacons and hardly makes canonical sense.

People who send you pictures of exorcisms are distributing fakes-it is irresponsible activity and typical of movements on the fringes of the Church.

Carefull with the fakes statement though. Archbishop Milingo in Milan had exorcisms taking place that he allowed to be photographed and videotaped. I’ve seen these. They are either non-demonically possessed people or possessed people. They arn’t ‘fakes’ though. It’s up to the discretion of the exorcist how public a case is. Prudence calls for secrecy in nearly all the cases.

Dan.

I read in another thread regarding a similar theme someone recalling a priest saying there are at least two exorcists in every diocese, their identities being secret for obvious reasons.
Hearsay maybe, but it seemed like an honest comment…

40.png
Sanctus:
Ok, so all the documentaries and movies on the subject aside—does the Church formally perform exorcisms anymore? I remember hearing some blurb on the news a few years ago about a girl allegedly had an exorcism at the Vatican where she started speaking in multiple languages. I know as far as America we have a tendency just to fix everything with medication, but we are a Universal Church so is this practice more prevalent in other parts of the world? If so how often?

Thanks!
Are exorcisms still performed? Yes.

Usually every diocese has at least one priest who’s appointed to be an exorcist…their identities are secret. If there isn’t one…the Bishop can appoint a priest for the task…on a case by case basis. In New York City there are four full time exorcists…the Chicago diocese only has one.

Before an exorcism is performed…the individual is first thoroughly evaluated by doctors and psychiatrists…as well as the exorcist.

The exorcist looks for four particular classical criteria…
  1. An adverse reaction to holy objects.
  2. The individual exhibits supernatural/superhuman strength.
  3. Hidden knowledge (the knowledge of the sins of individuals within the room, etc. etc.) and the use of languages that the person would not normally know.
I’m sure the public interest in exorcism will grow when the movies “Exorcist: The Beginning”…and “Constantine” are released.

mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1488263/06092004/story.jhtml

apple.com/trailers/wb/constantine/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back