Explanatory bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter mdrummer5
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mdrummer5

Guest
So next week I have an appointment with someone at my local Church to discuss my conversion and will be getting a bible as well as some “other literature”.

Being excited and therefore impatient I downloaded the Douay-Rheims version to my smart phone (YAY TECHNOLOGY!!!)… however as a Jew who hasn’t studied for more than half his life trying to familiarize myself with it is foriegn at best.

What I would like to buy since I don’t need to purchase a bible is a book that tells the stories of the bible as actual stories. Like when I was a kid I was given something like this…

amazon.com/Childs-Bible-Anne-Edwards/dp/0809128675/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293646891&sr=1-1#_

Being Jewish it was only the old testament but I’m looking for something similar.

Any suggestions???
 
you might check out the offerings at the www.ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com.

No one wants to coerce you into becoming a Catholic, but if that is your calling, then you are certainly welcome.

I suggest you take things slowly, don’t spend money on anything until you’re sure. Check out your local public library for books on Christianity that may help you.

The Roman Catholic Church is a bad actor, as far as Judaism is concerned in general (that’s my impression.)

You’re getting a Bible. The Saint Joseph Edition of the New American Bible is a popular version, and may help you a lot – it has a lot of helpful study notes. Another, perhaps more current favorite, is the Ignatius Study Bible which is based on the Revised Standard Version (what is subtitled the second Catholic edition). So, whatever you are given, hold on to that. Go at what is a reasonable pace for yourself.

Otherwise, there is a ton of current Catholic books in print and you have to be very selective and careful with your spending. Don’t get overwhelmed. See what books you can borrow from the parish or from the people there.
 
Mdrummer,

Sending my prayers for your journey 🙂

I also enjoy reading “story form” biblical history. Br. Bob Fishman on EWTN is a Jewish Convert to Catholicism and he also explains Scripture in story form.

This is a Catholic Children’s Bible that I bought and enjoy.

amazon.com/Big-Book-Catholic-Bible-Stories/dp/1400315387/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293654294&sr=1-1

It has a “Look Inside” feature on Amazon. The prefix pages 7-12 index the book’s content. I found this book at a local Christian bookstore.

It also has additional referenced readings in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC).

amazon.com/Catechism-Catholic-Church-U-S/dp/0385479670

Rather like Jewish seasons, the Church also follows a Liturgical calendar and those readings in the Children’s Bible are helpful in that way.

There are also various Protestant Children’s Bibles that you might find helpful. (I find them at Goodwill or Salvation Army).

The problem with Protestant Children’s Bibles will be the lack of reverence toward or explanation of the Eucharist in the Gospels.

Jeff Cavin has a Salvation History Bible series that he tells in story form. I was lucky enough to catch it when it was being shown on EWTN (Dish Channel 261) and recorded the series.

Scott Hahn often has a book series on EWTN as well, he is excellent at joining together Old Testament and New Testament themes.
 
Thanks all.

Scooby I’m not quite that far yet and I’m thinking my RCIA classes will cover that. I’m actually trying to learn the stories.

For example: Jesus’s crucifixion… I’m 31 years old and didn’t know until I saw the movie Constantine that it wasn’t the crucifixion itself but the spear of a soldier that killed him. I’m fully aware that while based in some biblical truth that most of that movie is probably inacurate but just trying to explain how ignorant I truly am in this regard. However, the thought is appreciated 🙂
 
Thanks all.

Scooby I’m not quite that far yet and I’m thinking my RCIA classes will cover that. I’m actually trying to learn the stories.

For example: Jesus’s crucifixion… I’m 31 years old and didn’t know until I saw the movie Constantine that it wasn’t the crucifixion itself but the spear of a soldier that killed him. I’m fully aware that while based in some biblical truth that most of that movie is probably inacurate but just trying to explain how ignorant I truly am in this regard. However, the thought is appreciated 🙂
See
30 When Jesus had received the vinegar, he said, “It is finished”; and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. 31* Since it was the day of Preparation, in order to prevent the bodies from remaining on the cross on the sabbath (for that sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. 32 So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first, and of the other who had been crucified with him; 33 but when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. 34* But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water.
John 18:30-34

He died of the Crucifixion. The stab with the spear was but to confirm that He was dead.
 
From what I’ve seen discussed, it was a cascade of bodily failure:

Blood loss, shock, water loss, diaphram suffocation from crushed nerve pain and position on the cross, and finally the collection of fluid (water) inside the paracardia that surrounds the heart.

google.com/search?q=jesus+paracardia&rlz=1I7ADBR_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7

When the sword pierced Christ’s heart, it released the buildup of water that had surrounded and suffocated the heart, and then the sword pierced His heart, releasing the blood.
 
Stopped at a local Christian store and picked this up…

theactionbible.com/

While I’m sure it’s not the best I’m a comic book fan and I’m assuming that while it may not give me everything it’s going to give me a heck of a lot more knowledge than I currently have.
 
Stopped at a local Christian store and picked this up…

theactionbible.com/

While I’m sure it’s not the best I’m a comic book fan and I’m assuming that while it may not give me everything it’s going to give me a heck of a lot more knowledge than I currently have.
I’ve found three similar Protestant comic Bibles during my scouting trips at Goodwill. One on the Gospel of Matthew, and two are New Testaments.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top