Extraordinary Minister Holy Communion Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter OurLadyPerpHelp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OurLadyPerpHelp

Guest
Hello Catholic Answers Forum Members,

I’m not sure where to find this answer. Please let me know if this is the right place.

I’ve been asked by my pastor to become an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion. I’m not sure this is something I want to do, but don’t want to disappoint my priest or seem to be uninterested in helping the parish. One of the reasons I am not comfortable joining this ministry is the behavior of the current ministers. I’ve been searching the Internet to no avail for this one particular answer. Can Extraordinary Ministers transfer the consecrated hosts from one ciborium to another on the altar before Holy Communion? This is the way we do things and to me it seems like people are performing the priest’s job. Am I off base here?

Thank you in advance,
 
My priest also asked me to become a Extraordinary Minister. I have similar reservations as you so I just told him that I didn’t feel ready for the responsibility. He accepted that and it wasn’t a problem!
 
I have rejected this every time a pastor has suggested it, and I have expressed why. I don’t believe in the entire concept, except in truly extraordinary circumstances–the pope saying Mass in Yankee stadium for instance. And I have never been in a parish, until this current one, where the lay ministers were trained and performed the duty properly so I want no part of it. In my last parish one couple routinely allowed their pre-school aged granddaughter carry the chalice back to the sacristy, upside down and dripping. It took weeks of complaints going all the way to the chancery to put a stop to it. Now my arthritis makes it unadvisable to try it, and this pastor is insistent on proper form but I still don’t like the whole idea. For one thing it puts laity in the position of making judgments on things that are matter for confession, like communicating politicians who consistently support the culture of death, cohabiting couples etc. and I think that is a huge abuse one usually overlooked.
 
Hello Catholic Answers Forum Members,

I’m not sure where to find this answer. Please let me know if this is the right place.

I’ve been asked by my pastor to become an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion. I’m not sure this is something I want to do, but don’t want to disappoint my priest or seem to be uninterested in helping the parish. One of the reasons I am not comfortable joining this ministry is the behavior of the current ministers. I’ve been searching the Internet to no avail for this one particular answer. Can Extraordinary Ministers transfer the consecrated hosts from one ciborium to another on the altar before Holy Communion? This is the way we do things and to me it seems like people are performing the priest’s job. Am I off base here?

Thank you in advance,
The Extraordinary Ministers are just doing as they have been instructed to do. You should address your questions and concerns about the way the Extraordinary Ministers are doing things in your parish to your pastor. It is his duty to make sure that things are done properly.
 
Hello Catholic Answers Forum Members,

I’m not sure where to find this answer. Please let me know if this is the right place.

I’ve been asked by my pastor to become an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion. I’m not sure this is something I want to do, but don’t want to disappoint my priest or seem to be uninterested in helping the parish. One of the reasons I am not comfortable joining this ministry is the behavior of the current ministers. I’ve been searching the Internet to no avail for this one particular answer. Can Extraordinary Ministers transfer the consecrated hosts from one ciborium to another on the altar before Holy Communion? This is the way we do things and to me it seems like people are performing the priest’s job. Am I off base here?

Thank you in advance,
I believe that when one is asked to serve , you serve.

We are instructed to receive the Consecrated Hosts from the priest. Portioning the Hosts into individual dishes would seem to be a priestly function. Little is mentioned regarding the role of the E.M.H.C. other than “distributing Holy Communion”.

The behavior will not change without direction from the priest. That behavior is a distraction, to say the least, yet remember that you are serving the “People Of God”
and you may find satisfaction in your ministry. In the event you become a E.M.H.C., insist on the proper following of the rubrics or resign. Remember the priest has some leeway in his delegating duties to others. Explain your apprehension to your pastor before you commit !
 
Hello Catholic Answers Forum Members,

I’m not sure where to find this answer. Please let me know if this is the right place.

I’ve been asked by my pastor to become an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion. I’m not sure this is something I want to do, but don’t want to disappoint my priest or seem to be uninterested in helping the parish. One of the reasons I am not comfortable joining this ministry is the behavior of the current ministers. I’ve been searching the Internet to no avail for this one particular answer. Can Extraordinary Ministers transfer the consecrated hosts from one ciborium to another on the altar before Holy Communion? This is the way we do things and to me it seems like people are performing the priest’s job. Am I off base here?

Thank you in advance,
RE: the bolded section above…
So you do not want to become a EMHC because of the behavior of the current ministers? This seems odd to me. Why should their behavior effect your decision? If their behavior is poor or if they are not properly trained might not your presence act as an uplifting influence?
I realize taht you say this is “one reason” so perhaps there are others more compelling but it always seems odd to me for people to shy away from something like this because they don’t like how others are doing it…Instead of jumping in and trying to make things better by participating.

Peace
James
 
I’ve been asked by my pastor to become an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion. I’m not sure this is something I want to do, but don’t want to disappoint my priest or seem to be uninterested in helping the parish. One of the reasons I am not comfortable joining this ministry is the behavior of the current ministers. I’ve been searching the Internet to no avail for this one particular answer. Can Extraordinary Ministers transfer the consecrated hosts from one ciborium to another on the altar before Holy Communion? This is the way we do things and to me it seems like people are performing the priest’s job. Am I off base here?
I would suggest expressing your concern to your pastor. I think it is a legitimate one. I would consider his request to show his high regard for you. Perhaps he will listen to you.
 
In our parish the need for EMHCs at Mass is doubtful. At the very least there do not need to be so many of them in order to keep things moving (by this I mean having services be short enough to avoid parking lot troubles when Masses are scheduled close together).
However there is a definite need for EMHCs for the homebound and those in the hospital in a parish where there are not enough clergy to make these visits.
Ray Mac.
 
I have rejected this every time a pastor has suggested it, and I have expressed why. I don’t believe in the entire concept, except in truly extraordinary circumstances–the pope saying Mass in Yankee stadium for instance. And I have never been in a parish, until this current one, where the lay ministers were trained and performed the duty properly so I want no part of it. In my last parish one couple routinely allowed their pre-school aged granddaughter carry the chalice back to the sacristy, upside down and dripping. It took weeks of complaints going all the way to the chancery to put a stop to it. Now my arthritis makes it unadvisable to try it, and this pastor is insistent on proper form but I still don’t like the whole idea. For one thing it puts laity in the position of making judgments on things that are matter for confession, like communicating politicians who consistently support the culture of death, cohabiting couples etc. and I think that is a huge abuse one usually overlooked.
I second this. I am not a fan of EMHCs on most occasions either, though I have different reasons.

To the OP: Follow your conscience. The Church does permit EMHCs, but it is not a sin if you don’t want to do it either. Ultimately the choice is yours to make. Listen to our opinions but don’t let us tell you what to do.

Keep us updated though, if you can 🙂
 
Communion at our parish tends to last about 20 or more minutes. Our 11:00 A.M. mass, similar in length as the others, lasts about 1 hr 15 minutes. That should give you an idea of the time involved. With 10 EMHCs (6 Body of Christ, 4 Precious Blood) at mass it would be unrealistic for the priest to distribute communion on his own for that length of time. The pews barely have enough room for just us to get in and out. I have to nearly walk sideways to get through while going for communion, even though nobody is in the way. I’m of the personal opinion that not distributing the precious blood is an abuse that lasted for a long time and should never have occurred, just to prove a valid point. The Eastern Church always distribute it, period, just like they never discontinued permanent deacons, which are two of the reasons I love the Eastern churches.

That stated, I also do not like the attitudes of particular EMHCs that do their own thing and act like priests or deacons distributing communion. They get so animated in ways that is really inappropriate IMHO. I feel manipulated into placing a hand on the shoulder and saying “may God bless you”. When you distribute communion you get crumbs on the fingers and the entire thing is awkward and frankly illicit IMHO. But to avoid the crazy EMHCs from doing their elaborate gestures I do it but with much more scrutiny (protect the Eucharist as all times, even on my fingers).

I said this because in one situation at mass, I chose not to place a hand on a man sitting because he did not seem to want it done, which is perfectly fine with me because I’d rather not do it at all. He was elderly and in the front pew, where they tend to sit. Not everyone is Catholic and not everyone likes to be touched for one good reason, not to mention how bazaar this is during communion. The lady holding the chalice saw that I didn’t do it so she, while holding the chalice with one hand :eek: reached out, in spite of our training, and played priest to do it. It takes a lot of energy not to get angry. Not a good time to be serving. But I am in the process of becoming a permanent deacon if the bishop will have me. It’s a difficult thing to figure out. But if you do it correctly, think of the abuses you can avoid by being the one to do it correctly.

Be charitable to everyone, no matter what. Just make sure they receive it and do not try to walk off with it like on occasion. It happens. :eek: This is not a time for you to judge whether or not someone is fit to receive. That is Father’s decision. it’s about obedience, not personal opinion.
 
Thank you for the replies so far. It appears I should have been more clear in my request. Is there anything from the Vatican preventing Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion from transfering consecrated hosts from one ciborium to another?
 
Thank you for the replies so far. It appears I should have been more clear in my request. Is there anything from the Vatican preventing Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion from transfering consecrated hosts from one ciborium to another?
Well an EHMC will be bringing me communion in a little while. I’ll ask her…

Peace
James
 
Thank you for the replies so far. It appears I should have been more clear in my request. Is there anything from the Vatican preventing Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion from transfering consecrated hosts from one ciborium to another?
Preventing? I don’t think so, but I’d stand corrected if I’m mistaken. Discouraging? Definitely.
 
Well an EHMC will be bringing me communion in a little while. I’ll ask her…

Peace
James
Well my friend just left and she said that she will need ot check woth her husband (who is a deacon)…I won’t see her again until Thursday and hopefully someone will be hable to help you here sooner.

Have you tried posting this question on the “Ask An Apologist” forum?

Peace
James
 
Thank you for the replies so far. It appears I should have been more clear in my request. Is there anything from the Vatican preventing Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion from transfering consecrated hosts from one ciborium to another?
No there is not, but I do have a question. What is your priest doing while an EMHC distributes the hosts between vessels?
 
Thank you for the replies so far. It appears I should have been more clear in my request. Is there anything from the Vatican preventing Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion from transfering consecrated hosts from one ciborium to another?
See Redemptionis Sacramentum, paragraphs 154-160. This deals with EMHC transfering consecrated hosts in so far as they are permitted to exist in the first place. That is, if EMHC should not be assisting then this would not be a problem.
 
I was delighted to recently discover Redemptionis Sacramentum and that’s exactly what I’m looking for in regards to this question. I would like to ask my priest if this practice can be curtailed, but of course want to be correct in my basis.
 
Thank you Zab. I looked in the GIRM and didn’t find anything specifically dealing with who is allowed to transfer the consecrated hosts. Is it true that if something isn’t in the GIRM then it’s forbidden?
 
Thank you Zab. I looked in the GIRM and didn’t find anything specifically dealing with who is allowed to transfer the consecrated hosts. Is it true that if something isn’t in the GIRM then it’s forbidden?
I am no expert on these things. But as a lay person wanting to find answers, if I didn’t find what I was looking for in the G.I.R.M., I would search through Redemptionis Sacramentum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top