Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion

  • Thread starter Thread starter thistle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is sad. If I were the sacristan in that situation, I would leave the vessels for the priest to purify after Mass, I would remind him that they need to be purified. And if he was still obstinate in not doing it, I would ask the deacon, if there was one present, if not I would wait until the priest left, and then, I would purify the sacred vessels before “doing the dishes” that is, washing them in soapy water. It has to be done. And if you do all that you can do with no results, then you do what must be done out of respect for the Blessed Sacrament.
It is what it is. 😦

I’ve asked on several occasions that we at least get a sacrarium (sp?) to no avail.
 
It is what it is. 😦

I’ve asked on several occasions that we at least get a sacrarium (sp?) to no avail.
We have a sacraruim but I don’t think it gets used much because the priest or deacon drinks the water used to purify the vessels.
 
But that is what he is saying, that Canon Law over-rides this suspension of the indult and he found a loop-hole in Canon Law that allows him to continue to have it done this way.
That is a very difficult situation. Perhaps you should ask to have your EMHC duties restricted to carrying Our Lord to the sick. Then you can stay in your pew after Mass and say a few prayers for your priest.
 
We have a sacraruim but I don’t think it gets used much because the priest or deacon drinks the water used to purify the vessels.
That’s kinda why I thought we should have one…when we get a new pastor, things may change, but in the meantime, we just have a sink.:eek:
 
He says that he found a “loop-hole” in Canon Law where the “needs of the parish” required it. He quoted the exact section but I forgot which one it was and he says that “the needs of the parish” are for him to be out there greeting the people as they enter and leave the church. And he will not purify them but continues to give the vessels to the EMHC to purify.

What then?
This is not likely. With the exception of a very few broad issues, canon law does NOT regulate liturgical matters. The liturgical books and instructions do that.

I doubt that your priest could give you a canon number on this “loop hole.”
 
Doesn’t matter what document says what, our priest “ain’t doing the dishes” along with other priests in our diocese.
If that’s the attitude your priest takes toward it, then it doesn’t surprise me. That attitude elicits many other questions, sadly, about the priest’s attitudes toward obedience, reverence, and the doctrines of the Church concerning the Most Holy Eucharist, let alone the Eucharist Itself! 😦
I’ve asked on several occasions that we at least get a sacrarium.
I’m shocked that a sacristy – that a church! – would be built without a sacrarium. Who designed that church? Who hired the architect? Who gave the plans approval? Maybe I’m rashly jumping to conclusions, but it seems like the people in charge didn’t have knowledge of the traditional Catholic liturgical requirements of a church!
 
This is not likely. With the exception of a very few broad issues, canon law does NOT regulate liturgical matters. The liturgical books and instructions do that.

I doubt that your priest could give you a canon number on this “loop hole.”
He did. I just don’t remember the exact number but it had something to do with the needs of the parish coming before some other type of duty.
 
I stopped being an EMHC.
If I could remember the exact Canon that he quoted, it sounded like there was. Unfortunately, I don’t recall it but it had something to do with the needs of the faithful supercede … etc.
I must have been sleeping during my studies because I certainly never heard of this. Whose version of canon law was he using?
 
Our sacristans “purify” the vessels after mass.

Doesn’t matter what document says what, our priest “ain’t doing the dishes” along with other priests in our diocese.

🤷

Doesn’t matter what anybody writes or says, Rome or otherwise, it just isn’t going to happen that our priest and some other priests are going to purify the vessels themselves.

And it doesn’t matter if I or anyone else quit being an EMHC or Sacristan, he still wouldn’t do it. Right or wrong, that’s the way it is at our parish and at other parishes.
I think our bishop would have something to say on that matter.
 
I think our bishop would have something to say on that matter.
I’m guessing he will, at some point, perhaps waiting for the institution of the revised language. Bishops are sometimes between a rock and a hard place with “stubborn” priests who are near retirement age, at least to some extent. “If they make me/us do such and such, I’ll just retire” seems to be a common way of thinking in such “stubborn” priests.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top