Extraordinary Ministers Of The Eucharist leading a Communion service

• Thread starter Thread starter Mothers_Boy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mothers_Boy

:confused: In my parish we have a 6:15 am Communion Service. At first I thought this was great, I can receive Our Lord before work. Lately I am wondering if this is proper. It struck me last week that an EME was self Communicating, which I know is a no no. are my insticts correct? Is there a Canon Law covering this? Thanks for the help.

The rule on self-communicating does not apply to the Lay minister who is leading the Communion service. Is there no priest who can say Mass? Because daily Mass is not an obligation Lay lead Communion services should be avoided in my opinion. Information would be found in the document put out by the USCCB on “something in the absence of of a priest.” I don’t recall what the exact name of the document is.

We’ve had communion services in lieu of our Daily Mass a few times, namely because the priests couldn’t show up or didn’t show up. I definitely am disappointed when I find it is a Communion Service and I am a little put-off by it, but I still attend. Would love further (name removed by moderator)ut from an Apologist or somebody uber-knowledgeable.

Mothers Boy said:
:confused: In my parish we have a 6:15 am Communion Service. At first I thought this was great, I can receive Our Lord before work. Lately I am wondering if this is proper. It struck me last week that an EME was self Communicating, which I know is a no no. are my insticts correct? Is there a Canon Law covering this? Thanks for the help.

The EMHC can indeed self-communicate in this instance. The ritual is contained in *Holy Communion and Worship of the Eucharist Outside of Mass, *printed by Catholic Book Publishing.

The specific rite is Rite of Distributing Holy Communion Outside Mass with the Celebration of the Word.

Most EMHCs I know that lead communion services have never even seen the actual ritual. I hope that is not the case in your parish.

Sadly, communion services often seem to be cesspits of abuse (and ego.)

Br. Rich SFO:
Is there no priest who can say Mass?
Our parish has two priests and a daily Mass at 9:30. I was enthused about the Communion Service because I can’t leave work to go to Mass. If it is technically okay I will continue to go but I guess I’ll ask why one of our priests can’t say Mass at 6:00. I’ve seen the Pastor up at this time of the morning. :yawn:

How many attend the Communion service? If every one of them sent the pastor a note requesting Mass at 6:00AM it might sway him. I don’t believe that a Communion service should be authorized except in place of a Mass that is either the Sunday obligation or a Holy Day obligation. I personally don’t think that even a Saturday evening Communion service qualifies as necessary when a priest will be available for Mass on Sunday morning. All persons should attend Sunday morning Mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back