Religious scrupulosity is something I think I am getting over, not completely yet. I managed to not go to confession for a month

and I used to be really broken (a dirty thought could get in my mind and a few minutes later I would be really troubled questioning if life is even real), if you checked my other posts you would know.
This OCD thing is crazy, you may feel really depressed and troubled about something and minutes or hours later you could talk yourself to sanity, questioning if you even have it. A few hours later, it comes back.
If you even THINK you MIGHT have it, best to get it checked out. If you have health insurance, it will probably cover at least some visits. It’s best to know, one way or another, and it’s also my understanding it has a genetic component.
Some people benefit from counseling and/or medication.
Now, I believe a lot of people think they may have OCD…don´t bother. I think this may be due to the stigma of it being a “mental” illness. Well, I´ve had depression and codependency. I´ve gone to a psychologist and/or psychiatrist, as needed.
I don´t think of it as being “crazy”.
My ex-husband had some SERIOUS OCD. His father had it, self medicated, using alcohol. My ex-husband divorced, twice, and I am quite sure his OCD had a lot to do with BOTH divorces. He tried to go to just a regular MD for his panic attacks, managed to get an antidepressant.
However, the depression was probably caused by the OC. The medication given did little to nothing to stop the compulsions. So basically, he was a happy OCD! Better to get diagnosed properly, see the specialist this corresponds to, not cut any corners.
Now, if someone would break a leg, people would RUN to the doctor! It would be obvious, a “no brainer”, but somehow, it´s different with mental health.
Years ago, people had little they could do, had to suffer things out, sometimes in institutions, with little hope. However, medication has revolutionized the who mental health system.
Some don´t go, thinking, (sometimes even mistakenly) that all the medications are addictive, too strong. However, many, even if medication is necessary, start one out at a low dose, move up as needed. Then, many medications which were addictive have been replaced by some non-addictive ones, even. Medication improves day by day.
I have a friend who had PTSD, had a bad experience with a medication. I think the dosage was too high. He tried it, …once…calls that an “attempt”.
One also has to go back, be persistent, till one finds the right medication…and dosage, not give up. Yes, it’s a science, but it’s part art…very individual. What works for one person won´t work for another.
So, it´s important to go, and if there are any problems…go back till it’s fixed…persist. I had times I had a medication working well…seemed to peeter out…not work. I’d go back, and it was as if I had developed a tolerance.
Also, counseling is much better. We know about obsessions, more each day how to treat them. Some make the mistake of trying to resist them, but normally, ignoring them can often be more effective. It’s important to do as other posters suggested, make an appointment with a psychologist for diagnosis, and take it from there.
Good luck, and God bless you!
