Facebook

  • Thread starter Thread starter twf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

twf

Guest
Am I the only person in the world under the age of 50 who doesn’t use Facebook? I had an account for a couple years several years ago, but got so sick of it and haven’t used it since. I am tired of people constantly telling me “friend me on Facebook” or “message me on Facebook”…there’s already email, text, and countless messenger programs if you want to send me a message!
 
You’re not the only one. I’ve never even had an account. I text and email, that’s it.
 
It’s a flipping waste of time, IMNAAHO.

I do have an account, but have not accessed it in over a year.

I have better things to do than hear about what bar or party my tangential acquaintances go to.

ICXC NIKA.
 
Am I the only person in the world under the age of 50 who doesn’t use Facebook? I had an account for a couple years several years ago, but got so sick of it and haven’t used it since. I am tired of people constantly telling me “friend me on Facebook” or “message me on Facebook”…there’s already email, text, and countless messenger programs if you want to send me a message!
No, you are not. Even when I was under 50.
We have created so many ways to communicate yet forget the face-to-face type. Still the best.
You’re not the only one. I’ve never even had an account. I text and email, that’s it.
👍
 
Never had one, never want one and I’m a young adult.

I also got tired of it when people tell me “Oh my gosh! You have to get a facebook!” Little do they know- the more they tell me that, the more I want to continue living my life without one. Needless to say it’s been interesting.

I think the funniest moment was up here at college I got roped into a video survey asking “How has social media- facebook, twitter, and pintrest- impacted your life?”
And I have none of the above.
So you know good and well when this video gets shown in class I’m going to be featured as that one weird person they came across while filming.
 
I had facebook for a few months then deactivated my account. It was neat at first then it got annoying. I have better ways to waste my time. ha!
 
I think facebook did not exist when I was under 50. I did have a facevbook account but have not checked into it in over a year. 😃
 
Nope, your not the only one!

Im in my late 30s and I too dumped my facebook acct awhile back, had one for awhile, and I will admit at first, it was nice to reconnect with people I went to school with, but it wore off shortly after, they all have their own lives now, as do I, so I stopped visiting FB as often and eventually I stopped altogether.

IMO, its just a fad that is currently popular, once something new comes along, all those people using FB now, will be onto that and will have forgotten all about facebook, just look at what happened to myspace!

I cant begin to guess whats coming next, but Im sure someone out there right now is working on it.
 
I have an account right now, but I am beginning to think about closing it and getting off Facebook forever. It is a royal waste of time and besides, look how many saints have made it to Heaven without the aid of Facebook! 😛
 
Am I the only person in the world under the age of 50 who doesn’t use Facebook? I had an account for a couple years several years ago, but got so sick of it and haven’t used it since. I am tired of people constantly telling me “friend me on Facebook” or “message me on Facebook”…there’s already email, text, and countless messenger programs if you want to send me a message!
facebook is a communication tool. That is how I use it. I am not at all a heavy user and poster but I am over 50 and I have found it to be a very useful lighthearted way to keep in contact with others that one doesn’t encounter everyday. I am kinda surprised by the constant negativity over it on CAF. I think if you give yourself some parameters on how to use it and who you friend, then I think it has been a very pleasant experience. I only friend people that I know or have known in the past. I do not post negative comments about anything and, if someone becomes too annoying, I defriend them and i stay away from controversial statements and comments. In return, I find I am able to keep in touch with others in a light hearted manner which I think is the best way to use it as a communication tool with other.
 
I like Facebook. Just yesterday, during my evening FB visit, I learned that my nephew’s wife is pregnant with their second child. :extrahappy: (They live 2 states away.) Messages between family members online were flying around, so I got to connect with them and my nephew. I guess FB is what you want it to be. I have a small group of FB friends who are interested in the same things I am, like cat videos 😃 Seriously, we post a lot of missing pet notices, notices from shelters for animals in need of forever homes, etc. I like it. :twocents:
 
I have a Facebook, but I haven’t been on it for 5 years. In saying that FB can be great for keeping in touch with family members and old friends.

Other social networking/media sites I use is tumblr which I think is an awesome site. I have a twitter, but I don’t actively use it. I think twitter is only good for certain things, like marketing in order to grow a business.

Many will say having twitter is vital to “be in the know” or whatever. That is a myth and a canard. Out of all the social networking sites that have any redeemable qualities are FB and tumblr. Besides those two, and any spin offs, are not worth ones time.
 
It’s a flipping waste of time, IMNAAHO.

I do have an account, but have not accessed it in over a year.

I have better things to do than hear about what bar or party my tangential acquaintances go to.

ICXC NIKA.
Sorry, it is a waste of time? :rolleyes:

You average 25 posts here, a day ! ! ! !

It is fine that you don’t like facebook. It is fine that you don’t use it. But to claim that it is a waste of time? That is disingenuous.
 
I have a problem with the way electronic communication has replaced verbal communication in general. There was a line in a movie a few years ago (don’t remember which) that said something like, "electronic communication was supposed to keep us connected, but all it does is keep us apart.

I can see its use, like far-off family members, but its pros in no way outweigh its cons. In my opinion, interpersonal communication skills are degraded, opportunity for deceit and backstabbing greater and development of coping skills are almost non-existent the more addicted we become to long-distance relationships with the person who lives 2 blocks away.

I just found out that my step-mom went in for knee surgery a couple days ago; It turns out that while I didn’t know previously this, but her facebook friends did. When I visited her today, she mentioned that she’s had many “facebook get wells” but not many visitors.
 
You are not the only one. For people I really know, I prefer in person communication. If not that, then I at least want to hear their voice on the phone or maybe Skype. For relationships, you just need that sense of humanity that is missing from text communication. Now other interests like discussing the faith on these forums, the information is more important than the person providing it. What’s important is the Word, not who delivers it.
 
It’s a real exercise in narcissism if you ask me. I’m so looking forward to the period (hopefully soon) when we will be living in a post-facebook world, in which it has been supplanted by something else in the eyes of the world.
 
No offense, but i’m glad you folks are the minority. Social media is here to stay and isn’t going away.

Facebook is building a MASSIVE data center in the Des Moines suburb of Altoona. Google has already built a similar data center in Council Bluffs, IA, and Microsoft, which already has an exisiting data center in West Des Moines, IA, is going to build a second data center, that when fully built the taxable value will account for about 14% of the city’s budget, it’s current population is over 60,000 and rapidly growing… (desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2014/04/20/past-work-helped-west-des-moines-lure-microsoft-data-center/7928669/).

desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2014/04/18/altoona-facebook-site-creates-boom-area-businesses-bondurant-iowa-data-centers-development/7857609/
The economic benefits from the construction of Facebook’s $300 million data center in Altoona are reverberating throughout northeastern Polk County and providing a spark for new development.
In addition, trade unions are seeing an increased demand for workers and local businesses, and an uptick in customers.
“Facebook coming increased our enthusiasm for building in Altoona,” said Keith Denner, president of Ames-based Professional Property Management. His company plans to build an apartment complex on Adventureland Drive near Prairie Meadows Racetrack and Casino.
Some contractors have stayed at one of his firm’s properties on Adventureland Drive, and more are expected. “They’re still contacting us, because there are a whole lot of subs that haven’t even started working,” Denner said.
Last April, Facebook announced plans to build a data center on 192 acres north of Interstate Highway 80.
The project’s first phase, which will include 476,000 square feet of space, is valued at $300 million. Two additional $300 million phases are planned.
Altoona officials have said they expect Facebook to spur other development in the area.
Last week, Mike Whalen, a Quad Cities businessman, unveiled plans for a 325,000-square-foot upscale outlet mall that would include 75 stores and restaurants.
Construction is expected to begin next year.
Facebook has created “the big momentum” for Altoona, City Administrator Jeff Mark said.
 
No offense, but i’m glad you folks are the minority. Social media is here to stay and isn’t going away.
So we should like Facebook because it is good for Des Moines, IA? Not sure I see the logic here.
 
My husband is in his early 40s and I am in my late 30s and neither of us use Facebook. We’ve vowed never to use it as well. We watched it rip two marriages and numerous friendships apart. While I know some people have had good come because of it, we’ve just known too much sadness come because of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top