N
nsm
Guest
Hey all,
My husband and I are converts to the Catholic Faith (almost three years Catholic!!!). We have been married for eight years but still have no children. During the early years of our marriage, while we were Protestant, we used contraception. When we started investigating the Catholic Church that was one of the first things that we stopped. But, since we were living in different cities for a year and a half due to my PhD program requirements, we used NFP to avoid pregnancy.
Now, we are hoping to get pregnant but a year ago I was diagnosed with a bicornuate uterus with non-communicating horn (in essence, I have two uteri but only one communicates with the outside world). The doctors have told me that if I get pregnant in the non-communicating horn they will have to abort the pregnancy because that horn almost always ruptures by the second trimester, and would cause the death of both me an the baby. Surgery to remove the horn could potentially result in what the surgeon called “catastrophic loss” e.g. an uncontrolled bleed resulting in a whole hysterectomy. So, we decided against surgery.
We really want a child, but I am secretly frightened that I will be faced with the question of deciding whether or not to abort to save my life. I have told my mother, who isn’t Catholic, that if I were to get pregnant in the non-communicating horn, I want to try to give the baby a fighting chance. Even though it is rare, some women do get through their entire pregnancies fine and give birth through C-section. My mom says that I shouldn’t gamble with my life. I can’t wait to be a mommy, if God wills, but I am scared. Any advice would be appreciated!!!
My husband and I are converts to the Catholic Faith (almost three years Catholic!!!). We have been married for eight years but still have no children. During the early years of our marriage, while we were Protestant, we used contraception. When we started investigating the Catholic Church that was one of the first things that we stopped. But, since we were living in different cities for a year and a half due to my PhD program requirements, we used NFP to avoid pregnancy.
Now, we are hoping to get pregnant but a year ago I was diagnosed with a bicornuate uterus with non-communicating horn (in essence, I have two uteri but only one communicates with the outside world). The doctors have told me that if I get pregnant in the non-communicating horn they will have to abort the pregnancy because that horn almost always ruptures by the second trimester, and would cause the death of both me an the baby. Surgery to remove the horn could potentially result in what the surgeon called “catastrophic loss” e.g. an uncontrolled bleed resulting in a whole hysterectomy. So, we decided against surgery.
We really want a child, but I am secretly frightened that I will be faced with the question of deciding whether or not to abort to save my life. I have told my mother, who isn’t Catholic, that if I were to get pregnant in the non-communicating horn, I want to try to give the baby a fighting chance. Even though it is rare, some women do get through their entire pregnancies fine and give birth through C-section. My mom says that I shouldn’t gamble with my life. I can’t wait to be a mommy, if God wills, but I am scared. Any advice would be appreciated!!!
