Failing a fast. Your opinion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Edy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edy

Guest
My wife asked for a miracle and in return we’d fast. We were granted a miracle! She promised x amount of days in fast but we fell short.

I feel disappointed and want to try again from tomorrow.

Has anyone else dealt with this disappointment? What did you do about it and what’s the general opinion on failing.
 
Hi Edy,

All glory to God for granting you guys a miracle. We are taught Jesus loves effort and trying, over success.
It creates spiritual growth, with each attempt.
 
Last edited:
I have always regretted eating - after an allotted time period of fasting.
Not from guilt of eating - lol - the food is always top delicious.
But that the holy mood I previously had - left me.
Jesus was long gone.
I was sluggish.
Didn’t care.
Food.
 
It’s a learning experience. Relying more on God’s power than your own is very important.
 
You do not need to start over. Just go on from where you left off, and you will fulfill her promise.

That said, make sure you consult with a priest if it is a very long number of days in a row, or if you are doing really strenuous fasting. (And maybe a doctor.)
 
Last edited:
While not a Roman Catholic, an aquaintance of mine who is an Eastern Orthodox priest once said that the purpose of fasting is to instruct oneself and not to seem pious before others. So, he said, do what you are able to do, and no more. In time, you will be able to fast more and fail less often. Monks are still learning to fast and repent and serve God after all. If someone without your request or otherwise mistakenly gives you meat while you are abstaining, do not complain or chide them or say anything at all except politely, “Thank you,” and eat. Then pick up your fast again when you are finished. Confess what needs to be confessed to you confessor, and be on your way.

He told me this when I failed in the Lenten fast back when I was still seeking entry into the Orthodox Church.
 
I’d be cautious about making promises that are unrealistically extravagant— “I’m going to build a church to you if I get my prayer answered!” or “I’m going to live on bread and water for a year!!!”-- because God will remember those promises, even when we’ve forgotten them. 😛

But if you want to make a sacrifice in celebration, in appreciation, in thanksgiving— then do it with a cheerful spirit. If you fail, pick it back up again the next day, but try to fail due to circumstances outside your control, rather than a deliberate lack of willpower. For example, when we’re guests at someone’s house, it’s more charitable to cooperate with what your host has offered you, in a spirit of love, rather than sticking strictly to your fast. You make a mental apology, you accept what’s offered in the spirit it’s given, and you get back to what you planned on doing when you have control over your circumstances again.
 
Last edited:
My wife asked for a miracle and in return we’d fast.
God doesn’t work that way. This is called “bargaining with God.”
We were granted a miracle!
That’s wonderful.
She promised x amount of days in fast but we fell short.

I feel disappointed and want to try again from tomorrow.
Well then, by all means try again tomorrow.
Has anyone else dealt with this disappointment? What did you do about it and what’s the general opinion on failing.
I suggest not making these kinds of promises in the future. Get some spiritual direction from your pastor. Also, you may be attempting some sort of fast that is too strict-- like no food or bread and water. Undertake extended fasting only under the direction of your pastor.
 
Speak to your priest.

We do not bargain with God “I will do this if you do that”. It is a pious thing to fast, but, don’t let it eat you up.
 
When I joined the Catholic Church it was explained to me that at Lent I could eat lightly or fast, so I ate fast. (Joking)

As suggested I also think you might just continue from where you left off if you feel well enough, but don’t starve!
 
Sometimes we fast too hard instead of gradually increasing the fast.

Similar to wanting to exercise, you don’t start with a marathon, you build it up.

I also dislike it when I fail the fast, it is always harder to fast in thanksgiving than in need.

Don’t let it discourage you.
 
I like to read to read the mixed replies, to get an idea of what the Catholic community believes as a whole.

Some have reinforced my beliefs though. I don’t like the idea of bargaining with God, but I went with it out of respect for my Wife. It’s a topic we can discuss with each other moving forward in our Catholic journey. But she has her own free will, all I can do is express my opinion on the topic of bargaining but will always support her.

We were forced apart and she asked that we be together again. Our Lord answered. Praise be to God.

We’ve decided to start our fast again. It’s based around Corinthians 7:4. So there’s no need to see a Dr or worry about nourishing our tummies 😉
 
40.png
midori:
I’d be cautious about making promises that are unrealistically extravagant— “I’m going to build a church to you if I get my prayer answered!”
This is how Mother Angelica got started. ⛪
Or, “I am going to build a hospital if my prayers get answered!” (Danny Thomas, St.Jude’s Hospital.) 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top