Faith and a friend

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicMan17
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CatholicMan17

Guest
I have this one friend who is protestant and doesn’t like Catholicism, and when I decided to become Catholic, she ceased talking to me and warned me that a priest was gonna abuse me…anyway, I had some doubts last Aprilish and told her. I told her I’m protestant again but I’m not. I dont want to tell her I’m Catholic because I don’t have any other friends and have social anxiety. I know I owe it to God, but I’m afraid of being friendless. What should I do? Could you please pray for me?
 
Friends respect each other, friends would not say crude things about the other’s religious beliefs.

Speak to a trusted adult about your social anxiety. Speak to your priest about your faith.

Join groups at your parish to meet other Catholics.
 
You should not have to lie to keep your friend, sweety.

I do pray God will help you. Like @TheLittleLady, maybe join a church group and make new friends.
 
Last edited:
No friends is better than a bad friend and your friend sounds like no friend at all.

Also, how old are you? Because I find it strange that a lady would worry a grown man would get abused by a priest, unless she thinks that man is a total wimp and can’t/won’t defend himself or know to leave a bad situation.
 
To not tell your friend that you are now Catholic sins against God, your friend and yourself. It is the sin of human respect, which objectively is a mortal sin against the virtue of Faith. It hurts your friend because you lied to her. It hurts yourself too.

Find a good Catholic priest who will help you to make a good confession and give you some guidance in this area.

Your friend will respect you more if you tell her the truth. And if she can’t stand you being Catholic, then is she really being your friend?

I knew a girl in college who converted to Catholicism. Her family was totally against it. She had a hard time in the beginning but eventually her family came to accept it.
 
Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn’t be too worried about being friendless at 16. I didn’t have a real friend until college. The loneliness does hurt, but, it’s better than having the unnecessary drama that comes with associating with people that aren’t good for you.
 
John 8:31-32

Sometimes we have to undergo a hardship or trial for a greater good. When I was 16 and joined the Church, I lost a lot of friends in the process because of their preconceived (misguided) notions of the Church. Fast forward a few years, and I have most of those friends who were true friends or of any relative consequence back, and they know from my example what the Church can really be like/about. Even the former pastor of our church where I attended with them prior to my conversion is no longer spouting anti-Catholic jabs and on that mission, but he’s changed his tune to one of “let’s look at the good in all followers of Jesus”. Quite remarkable (and having his daughter as an estranged friend surely didn’t hurt that change of heart).
 
She is not your friend if you have to lie to her, or if she disrespects you in any way. I have social anxiety too, talking about it with someone might make you feel better. Try getting involved with groups at your parish and you can make some new, better friends there. You will be in my prayers. Hang in there!
 
If you do tell her the truth that you really still are Catholic, and she continues to warn you of abuse by Catholic priests, tell her that it is never right to make stereotypes based on the sins of the minority (only 0.53-4%).
If she were your friend, she should not continue to make jabs at your faith if you are set on becoming Catholic.
Like you, I’m 16, and I have several Protestant friends and relatives, and even though they don’t agree with my faith, they still have respect for me and don’t jab at my faith. If it turns out she can’t respect you just because you switch denominations, than is she really your friend? If not, there are many opportunities to make new Catholic friends via a church youth group. If you must make a few new Catholic friends before telling her, then fine, but it’s not right to be deceptive, even if it’s the only way to keep a friend.
Remember: God is better than any friend that you could have. I used to have social anxiety myself, but a Catholic youth group helped me, among other things.
Know that there are hundreds, maybe thousands of devout Catholics on CAF who are more than willing to pray for you, myself included.
God bless.
 
Last edited:
Honesty is the best policy.
Anyone who would not like you solely because you are Catholic is not a true friend.
God bless you! 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top