Faith and works - help me get this right

  • Thread starter Thread starter LongJohnSilver
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LongJohnSilver

Guest
I am currently debating some Protestants, and the topic is Faith and Works, hurray! I want to make sure I set out the Catholic stand properly, but I find it difficult to come up with the right approach and to find the right words. Please help me. So far I have this:

Protestants believe that a person is justified by faith in Christ. Once baptized, the person will remain justified for the rest of his life as long as he holds on to his faith.

Catholics believe that a person is justified by faith in Christ. Once baptized, the person will remain justified for the rest of his life as long as he holds on to his faith and performs good works. He can lose his justification if he does not back up his faith with works.

Is this correct?

Furthermore, how and where should I put the concept of ‘grace’ in? Other advice?
 
Sorry, I don’t have an answer for you, but I have been wondering the same thing. I’ll be excited to read the replies 👍
 
I am currently debating some Protestants, and the topic is Faith and Works, hurray! I want to make sure I set out the Catholic stand properly, but I find it difficult to come up with the right approach and to find the right words. Please help me. So far I have this:

Protestants believe that a person is justified by faith in Christ. Once baptized, the person will remain justified for the rest of his life as long as he holds on to his faith.

Catholics believe that a person is justified by faith in Christ. Once baptized, the person will remain justified for the rest of his life as long as he holds on to his faith and performs good works. He can lose his justification if he does not back up his faith with works.

Is this correct?

Furthermore, how and where should I put the concept of ‘grace’ in? Other advice?
You might find this interesting on the Justification issue. It is rather a long document but very interesting IMO on the subject your discussing.
homepage.mac.com/francis.beckwith/KoonsCaseforCatholicism2007.pdf
 
The first part of the document given in the previous post discusses Justification. It might be helpful in discussing the issue with Protestants…
 
=LongJohnSilver;7082503]I am currently debating some Protestants, and the topic is Faith and Works, hurray! I want to make sure I set out the Catholic stand properly, but I find it difficult to come up with the right approach and to find the right words. Please help me. So far I have this:
Protestants believe that a person is justified by faith in Christ. Once baptized, the person will remain justified for the rest of his life as long as he holds on to his faith.
Catholics believe that a person is justified by faith in Christ. Once baptized, the person will remain justified for the rest of his life as long as he holds on to his faith and performs good works. He can lose his justification if he does not back up his faith with works.
Is this correct?
Furthermore, how and where should I put the concept of ‘grace’ in? Other advice?
Correct. Why the Commandmts, why the Beautitudes, Why did Jesus say FIVE TIMES “take up your Cross and follow Me?”

**There are basic rules in understanding God’s bible. **

Rule number ONE is is expressed sprcifically in 2 Tim 3:15-17… “All scripture is Inspired by God” And **1 Tim 3:15 **clearly expresses the right to biblical interpertation is exclusive to Christ CC. This is further affirmed by 2 Peter: "2nd. Peter Chapter One verse 20 - 21“First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, because no prophecy ever came by the impulse of man, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God. “

**RULE #2 **is no one part of the bible can teach different theology than another part of he bible.

In route to there own faith. there own understanding; they ignore BOTH rules.

As for GRACE: It is always a FREE GIFT FROM GOD.

**Romans 9: 18 **“So then he has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills.” [Grants Grce to whom it pleases Him to do so.]

This is part of the Price one who professes to be associated with a Bible Church but chooses not to be part of Christ One CC MUST PAY!

James Chapter two: 15-26 [15] If a brother or sister is ill-clad and in lack of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what does it profit? So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead. But some one will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe – and shudder. Do you want to be shown, you shallow man, that faith apart from works is barren? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by works, and the scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness”; and he was called the friend of God. You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so faith apart from works is dead. "

Heb.6: 10
“For God is not so unjust as to overlook your work and the love which you showed for his sake in serving the saints, as you still do.”

**Phil.2: 12 **"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; "

**Acts.26:20 **“but declared first to those at Damascus, then at Jerusalem and throughout all the country of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God and perform deeds worthy of their repentance.”

**Rom. 2: vs. 7,13 ** “to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life;” and “For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified”

Each of these refutes there position.

Love and prayers.
Pat
 
Maybe the best way to look at this is by the theological virtues. Faith, hope, & charity.

Faith, we must first believe in God’s message.

Hope, we must have hope in God’s message.

Charity, the most important. We are saved by God’s love. The commandments, beatitudes and works are summed up in charity. We act and do by giving the world, God’s love.

Sorry for being so brief, but i am typing this on my phone.
 
I am currently debating some Protestants, and the topic is Faith and Works, hurray! I want to make sure I set out the Catholic stand properly, but I find it difficult to come up with the right approach and to find the right words. Please help me. So far I have this:

Protestants believe that a person is justified by faith in Christ. Once baptized, the person will remain justified for the rest of his life as long as he holds on to his faith.

Catholics believe that a person is justified by faith in Christ. Once baptized, the person will remain justified for the rest of his life as long as he holds on to his faith and performs good works. He can lose his justification if he does not back up his faith with works.

Is this correct?

Furthermore, how and where should I put the concept of ‘grace’ in? Other advice?
Since Protestant belief is all over the map, it would be helpful to know what kind of Protestants you are debating. Most Evangelicals would not give much credence to the idea that Baptism has anything to do with justification, although a Lutheran, for example, would. [Any time you begin a sentence with “Protestants believe…” the next part will be an over-generalization–because Protestants disagree on a TON of issues. 🙂 ]

And as you’re probably aware, many Lutherans and the the Catholic Church are pretty much in agreement on this particular issue, which may or may not help your case–not sure:

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/documents/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_31101999_cath-luth-joint-declaration_en.html
 
I would suggest that you read the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

The Characteristics of Faith - paragraphs 153 through 175,

also Grace and Justification - paragraphs 1987 through 2011.

This should get you started.
 
I am currently debating some Protestants, and the topic is Faith and Works, hurray! I want to make sure I set out the Catholic stand properly, but I find it difficult to come up with the right approach and to find the right words. Please help me. So far I have this:

Protestants believe that a person is justified by faith in Christ. Once baptized, the person will remain justified for the rest of his life as long as he holds on to his faith.

Catholics believe that a person is justified by faith in Christ. Once baptized, the person will remain justified for the rest of his life as long as he holds on to his faith and performs good works. He can lose his justification if he does not back up his faith with works.

Is this correct?

Furthermore, how and where should I put the concept of ‘grace’ in? Other advice?
In Catholic thought, one’s justice can actually be* increased*-God alone knowing when enough’s enough but presumably until one loves Him with their whole heart, soul, mind, and strength and their neighbor as themselves. Then we are truly just, as “love fulfills the law”. This is what God’s always been after in man, rather than, as in some Protestant circles, having justice or righteousness merely imputed to us.

The New Covenant is a covenant of grace, summed up in Jer 31:33

"This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time," declares the LORD.
"I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.


Gods promise is that He, alone, can help us to be the people He destined us to be and expects us to be, rather than simply reverse His will for us and leave us as sinners clothed as saints.
 
You need faith, but faith without works is dead. The protestant position (Edited) was created by Luther et. al. to give them a platform to stand on. The idea that you only need faith but needn’t demonstrate that faith in anyway is just lame. Imagine a quarterback saying to the coach, “Coach, I have memorized the whole playbook.” The coach says, “ok, then run plays 1, 2, and 3.” The quarterback replies, “no, it is enough just that I know the plays.” (Edited)
 
If we believe all contained in Holy Scripture, and all of tradition passed on to us from the beginning and over centuries, we dare not exclude anything it includes just because it serves our own purposes and comforts. Therefore when Christ instructed one of the churches in the book of Revelations,

Douay Rheims (Catholic) 1899
Revelation 2

Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write: These things saith he, who holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks:
I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them that are evil, and thou hast tried them, who say they are apostles, …

He did not cut a ‘*Catholic lie’ *but meant every word as instruction to all generations to come, so that we may continue in life as He has instructed us to do -

But I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first charity.
Be mindful therefore from whence thou art fallen: and do penance, and do the first works. Or else I come to thee, and will move thy candlestick out of its place, except thou do penance.

May we not forget our first charity. Continue to patiently labour and do good works, out of love for Him who was crucified, our Lord and Saviour.
 
PLeeD,

Thanks for asking that! So, Fhansen, how do we know what He gives us to do and how do we know whatever He thinks is enough? I’m not being flippant – I sincerely, really need to know! I mean, I help out people when I can, I pray for people when I can’t…
 
=PLeeD;7088674]What good works must we do? How much is enough?
Knowing that Good works alone ain’t gonna buy anybody heaven, the answer to your question I think is based on Christ “new Commandment”, that that number is both infinite and changes on how one chooses to live ones life.

**John.13: 34 ** “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.”

**1st. Cor. 13:13 **“So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”

Christ speaks specifically FIVE TIMES about the absolute need for us to take up our crosses and follow Him. I don’t recall a single time where Jesus say’s we are "to lay our cross down and just get along without it.🙂

Rom.8: 17 "and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him."**

Love and prayers,
Pat
 
I read those sermons (is that the right word?) a while ago. They are beautiful!

The thing is, that teaching is the same we get at my evangelical/pentacostal protestant AoG church. Everything in those sermons could have been preached by my pastor last Sunday. Indeed, those things have been taught repeatedly over the years. We recognize the same relationship between faith and works, while realizing that we are justified by faith. As Benedict said, works are not something whereby we gain salvation, but are a natural outpouring of our love for God.

For me, it means being faithful in tithes, which support the charity work of our church. It means being charitable with offerings for other good causes. It also means directly helping those in need. One way that happens in my life is, I always feel compelled to stop and help stranded motorists. I’d liken it to the OT teaching that we should help our neighbor when his donkey is stuck in the ditch. Same concept 🙂 I don’t do it because the Law compels it, or because I think it’s necessary for salvation, but because love for Jesus and the Holy Spirit draws me to it.
Whatever works God gives us to do and however much He says is enough.
How do you receive that message? Where do you find it? How do you know for sure?
 
What good works must we do? How much is enough?
We can do nothing to “earn” getting into the initial state of grace…being thus “in Christ” …such is a grace from God.

Of course we need then by his grace to live the Christian life…for we need to live what we are…

But if one does not commit a mortal sin…one remains alive in Christ and in a state of salvation…

of course some mortal sins can be those of omission…like you see a dying person who asks you to call 911 and you just keep walking (and your the only one there)…things like that…

But it is not really a question of “how much is enough?”

(I may be presented with different things in life than you…)

Of course on the other hand the Christian life is marked as Card. Ratszinger (BXVI) noted by a kind of “excess” of giving without counting the cost…of the excess of love…

We are saved by Jesus Christ and are given “real life” let us live it!
 
The first part of the document given in the previous post discusses Justification. It might be helpful in discussing the issue with Protestants…
Thanks, that is a great read, especially because it helps me understand the concept of Grace in this.

@All: thank you for your insightful comments.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top