Faith Database

  • Thread starter Thread starter stanmaxkolbe
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stanmaxkolbe

Guest
I have nothing to do with this other than I use it a lot:

I cannot praise this enough if you want to study Christianity this is the thing to have I just downloaded it again to my new computer. They also add new books if you tried to have all this information in your library it would cost over $100,000 dollars no doubt in my mind. Download $31.95; Download plus CD $39.95 you can’t beat it family.
Had to delete some things because of the 6000 limit. CA also sells this.
http://www.faithdatabase.com/page/Introduction
3 Ways to Use The Faith Database
  1. Search the disk on your computer
  2. Print unlimited copies
  3. Download to your PDA
2000 Years of Christian History
· 10 Bible Translations

· 88 Council Documents from all 21 Ecumenical Councils

· 400 Early Church writings

· 165 writings from the Doctors of the Church

· 74 books from John Henry Newman

· 112 books from G.K. Chesterton

· 1300 Papal writings/encyclicals

· The Old Catholic Encyclopedia (1200 entries and 5000 images)

· Many classics including Gibbons’ “Faith of our Fathers,” Thomas a Kempis’ “Imitation of Christ” and John Paul II’s “Theology of the Body”

· 1000 Bible Art Images

· Over 100 Bible Maps

· Illustrated Church history

· Search Catechism and Code of Canon Law

Some of the Over 1500 Featured Writings Classics
· Apologia (Newman)
· Thomas a Kempis

Doctors of the Church
· St. John of the Cross

· St. Theresa of Avila

· St. Thomas Aquinas (The Summa)

Early Church Fathers
· St. Augustine’s Confessions

· Irenaeus’ Against Heresies

· St. John Chrysostom’s Commentaries
 
Looks great, lots of good stuff to learn. I wished I had that when I converted, still a lot I can learn.
 
I suspect that if you ask what ages those converts are, you will find that the great majority of them are between the ages of 16 and 28. The same age group that commit the most crimes…and fill most of our prison cells. They are the rebels of society…looking for a great cause that will allow them to follow their still uncontrolled instinct for violence and power.

morristown movers
Defense Tower
 
I’ve used the Faith Database for 2 years and I recommend it to everyone. Not only that, but every apologist I’ve met or heard on the radio recommends it as well. Great learning tool, lots of Church Father writings (though some rare stuff not included) and awesome apologetics. Amen to the Faith Database. 👍
 
Okay, now that I have a bit more time, I am going to give a bit more indepth of a review.

Pros:
10 translations in column form of a given passage, including the Greek.

Vast amount of material across the board, from Church encyclicals to encyclopedia to the fathers.

It tells you which writings are considered spurious, and when they were likely written. This is helpful for people first starting to read the fathers, who may not know that the second epistle by Clement, or the epistle of Ignatius to the Antiochans, are in fact not considered genuine.

Cons:
The “Church Father commentary” on a given Scripture passage is disappointing, for me anyway. Half the time there is no commentary, and if there is, it is brief or not even related. It seems that they oversold this point considering what you actually get.

Ditto for the Scripture parallels. Often the parallels seem unrelated, and obvious parallels are often not included. You’re honestly better off in your typical Bible with the listed parallels in fine print in the footnotes.

I would have liked to have seen a Septuagint and possibly a Masoretic translation of the OT; as it is the OT is only available in an English translation.

Only a select number of writings from certain fathers are given. I understand that they have add-ons available, however if you are looking for certain homilies, etc by Origen for example, you are better off with another series.

All in all, however, this is a fantastic resource. I would combine it with the also very cheap 38 volume patristic set on CD-ROM, especially if your interest is in the fathers in particular. However, for sheer across-the-board breadth of material on the faith, you really can’t beat this.
 
Thanks x∞ for this. It looks amazing and right up my alley. Now I just need to buy it.
 
When I got this a couple of years ago, I thought it had some good and bad points. The timeline struck me as a little humorous. It informed me that during the 11th century, various popes came and went, but didn’t seem to have record of any significant event in 1054. In the 1500’s the Council of Trent is listed, but no reference to anything that might have happened earlier in the century that might have precipitated that Council.

I also found some incorrect references to writings of the church fathers. Minor things: referencing one letter of Jerome when it should have been another, and so on. Those were fixed, but then development seems to have come to a halt. And there is the continuing lack of a Mac version, after one was promised “soon”.

It definitely does have some good points, but I don’t use it anymore. I think a lot of this can be achieved at newadvent.org, catholic.com (I prefer the OCE at catholic.com to newadvent.org) and catholicculture.org’s reference section.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top