Not sure I agree with your detective work there Marco.
I said:
Works of love are a **sign **of justification, but the works themselves don’t justify.
Then you quoted the saying:
“faith that is active in love **testifies **to the freely given gift of justification”
I’ve bolded the words ‘sign’ and ‘testifies’. Who is the intended witness of the sign or the testimony? In both cases I would say that the witness is not God, since he already knows our hearts. The signs and testimony are witnessed by other people.
In other words, the Pope is saying… faith follows justification.
Sorry, I didn’t see that message anywhere in the passages you quoted.
Therefore, in Catholic theology, the free gift of justification can be said to be by “faith working through love” as well as having faith and love bearing witness to that justification.
The protestant theology that I am familiar with, and have always been taught would say exactly the same thing.
I think the point that you are making is that even demons believe that Jesus is the son of God, but that doesn’t justify them. Belief, or in other words faith, requires more. The outward
earthly evidence of the faith that saves is good works.
Those works should flow from the Holy Spirit through those who are justified. Can those works flow from a source other than the Holy Spirit? If the Holy Spirit is already present, is the person not already justified!
That this point, I still have to stand by my statement that “Works of love are a sign of justification, but the works themselves don’t justify.” And I still don’t see any difference between that statement and the quotes you supplied.
Again, the Pope says BOTH faith and love testify to the free gift of justification.
I notice the Pope didn’t say “BOTH faith and love
justify”, he only said both
testify. Even Martin Luther would agree with that.
Can you provide a quote from Catholic authority that says justification is the
result or
product of works?
Correct me if I"m wrong, but I gather that the official Catholic position is that good works will be rewarded in heaven. That is, someone with loads of good works will get to sit in the front row, while someone with real faith but few good works will assuredly be in the same auditorium, but will have tickets for the nosebleed section.
There is sound scriptural basis for that, but none that I know of that says works justify.