Family Devotions

• Thread starter Thread starter Didi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Didi

I apologize if this subject has already been discussed, but I didn’t see anything specific about this after doing a search.

I would like to know what families are doing together for family devotions. What prayers or activities are you doing? What time of day do you do them? What types of books or resources have you found helpful? What appeals to both elementary and teenage children?

My mother is a convert, and did so later in life, so we didn’t grow up with much family prayer time or instruction. I’d love to hear what kind of devotions you may have done as a child, as well!

Thanks for your help!

Hi Didi,

my wife and I have two children, 8 and 5, so we try to gear our family devotions to them as much as possible. We pray the family rosary occasionally, although we say we mean to do it weekly. My wife and I pray it daily, sometimes together, and the kids see this.

We eat breakfast together 4-5 mornings a week and I read the Bible to the kids. They love that.

We pray novenas as a family from time to time: Divine Mercy, Christmas, etc.

At Christmas, we don’t put Baby Jesus in the Manger until Christmas Eve night. All during Advent, we have our kids put a strip of paper (to represent a piece of straw) in the manger each time they do something kind for each other (a distressingly rare occurrence), to teach them that kindness “comforts Baby Jesus.”

Pax,

Jim

40.png
Savagedds:
At Christmas, we don’t put Baby Jesus in the Manger until Christmas Eve night. All during Advent, we have our kids put a strip of paper (to represent a piece of straw) in the manger each time they do something kind for each other (a distressingly rare occurrence), to teach them that kindness “comforts Baby Jesus.”
I love that idea! Thanks! Waiting for more… 😉

Anybody else out there??!! I know from reading other posts there are some awesome parents out there. How are you praying with your kids?

We have morning prayer together every morning. It is a short prayer as our youngest are still very young.

We play Donna Cory Gibson’s sung Divine Mercy Chaplet in the afternoon. The children LOVE it. They all sing along even the baby tries to get into the act.

We have a bible story and coloring every week day for the preschoolers and of bible reading and catechism for the older.

For our autistic daughter I have developed a set of pictorial prayer books that she likes, the younger ones like these as well… the stations of the cross are the current favorites.

Evening prayers and table blessings.

I feel badly we don’t do the rosary as much as we should.

-D

My wife and I occassionally pray the Rosary together, and my middle daughter (the only one still at home) sometimes joins in. My daughter and I go to adoration togther on Thursdays, and go to First Friday services together.

I am trying to convince my oldest granddaughter (6 years old) to join me in evening prayers before she goes to bed, but. . .

Generally, however, my daughter prays her Rosary (in Spanish) by herself, and I pray mine (in English) by myself. You see, that is my problem. My family prays in Spanish; I pray in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back