E
eliza1
Guest
I’m not sure where to start. My BIL was raised Catholic but is definitely not practicing. I am pretty sure he considers himself to be an atheist. He has done a lot of things that his family doesn’t agree with (drugs, promiscuous behavior, etc), but they have always loved him anyway (which of course I agree with).
BIL is in his mid-thirties and has never married. Recently, when DH was talking to him, he asked him half-jokingly if he was ever going to have kids. BIL’s response was, “Don’t tell Mom, but {ex-GF} had an abortion.” DH was stunned and didn’t know what to say. BIL went on to make a very crass comment that indicated that he had absolutely no remorse. He and the ex-GF broke up about 3-4 years ago, so apparently time has not changed his mind.
FWIW, we don’t believe that this was something she did without his knowledge or consent - she wanted to get married and have kids, and he broke up with her because she was “too clingy.” We heard through the grapevine that she had a baby (not sure if she’s married to the dad or not), and BIL made comments about her “trapping” the guy. But, even if it was completely her decision, he made it clear that he was happy about it. :bighanky:
I asked DH what he wanted to do. He is understandably upset, but he is also pretty non-confrontational. He doesn’t want to tell their mom because of how it would hurt her (and I agree). But he also doesn’t really want to talk to BIL. I’m guessing he thinks it won’t do any good, and will just upset him (DH) more, and that is likely, but he wants to just try to cut BIL off as much as possible. I’m not really sure how that’s going to work without saying anything…we only see him a couple times a year, and if we go out of our way to avoid him, people will notice (and will ask), and if we don’t, then it’s kind of like we’ve just accepted the situation and are okay with it.
I could use any suggestions or support here…there isn’t really anyone I can talk to about it IRL, and I don’t want to upset DH more by bringing it up again.
BIL is in his mid-thirties and has never married. Recently, when DH was talking to him, he asked him half-jokingly if he was ever going to have kids. BIL’s response was, “Don’t tell Mom, but {ex-GF} had an abortion.” DH was stunned and didn’t know what to say. BIL went on to make a very crass comment that indicated that he had absolutely no remorse. He and the ex-GF broke up about 3-4 years ago, so apparently time has not changed his mind.
FWIW, we don’t believe that this was something she did without his knowledge or consent - she wanted to get married and have kids, and he broke up with her because she was “too clingy.” We heard through the grapevine that she had a baby (not sure if she’s married to the dad or not), and BIL made comments about her “trapping” the guy. But, even if it was completely her decision, he made it clear that he was happy about it. :bighanky:
I asked DH what he wanted to do. He is understandably upset, but he is also pretty non-confrontational. He doesn’t want to tell their mom because of how it would hurt her (and I agree). But he also doesn’t really want to talk to BIL. I’m guessing he thinks it won’t do any good, and will just upset him (DH) more, and that is likely, but he wants to just try to cut BIL off as much as possible. I’m not really sure how that’s going to work without saying anything…we only see him a couple times a year, and if we go out of our way to avoid him, people will notice (and will ask), and if we don’t, then it’s kind of like we’ve just accepted the situation and are okay with it.
I could use any suggestions or support here…there isn’t really anyone I can talk to about it IRL, and I don’t want to upset DH more by bringing it up again.