C
Crepusculum
Guest
Good afternoon all,
Does anyone know of any famous Catholic saxophonists, or better yet, any saints who played? I tried looking for the patron saint of saxophones and nothing seemed to leap out of the search engine. I know there’s a fairly notorious lifestyle associated with jazz musicians which is often not compatible with our ethics, but there must be at least one, no?
The reason I ask is I received a tenor saxophone for my 30th birthday and really want to learn how to play. Now, I have dabbled in learning an instrument in the past: tried percussion and loved it, provided I were not the only one keeping time; Tried guitar and, quite frankly, couldn’t make it do anything heart-felt enough; Tried violin and recoiled from the sound it made, throwing salt over my shoulder for good measure - anyone who doesn’t believe the devil is real has to try learning the violin; Now this instrument really speaks to me - oh sure it makes my face tickle, and I feel like I’m going through adolescence again because of the out-of-control octave shifts, but I have a determined desire to control that.
For now I shall have to stick to asking St Gregory the Great and the other patrons of musicians to pray for me as I learn, but would be nice to find someone sax specific.
Thanks, and may you all have a blessed weekend.
Does anyone know of any famous Catholic saxophonists, or better yet, any saints who played? I tried looking for the patron saint of saxophones and nothing seemed to leap out of the search engine. I know there’s a fairly notorious lifestyle associated with jazz musicians which is often not compatible with our ethics, but there must be at least one, no?
The reason I ask is I received a tenor saxophone for my 30th birthday and really want to learn how to play. Now, I have dabbled in learning an instrument in the past: tried percussion and loved it, provided I were not the only one keeping time; Tried guitar and, quite frankly, couldn’t make it do anything heart-felt enough; Tried violin and recoiled from the sound it made, throwing salt over my shoulder for good measure - anyone who doesn’t believe the devil is real has to try learning the violin; Now this instrument really speaks to me - oh sure it makes my face tickle, and I feel like I’m going through adolescence again because of the out-of-control octave shifts, but I have a determined desire to control that.
For now I shall have to stick to asking St Gregory the Great and the other patrons of musicians to pray for me as I learn, but would be nice to find someone sax specific.
Thanks, and may you all have a blessed weekend.