Fantasy accusations

  • Thread starter Thread starter Golf_Zulu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Golf_Zulu

Guest
My wife has filed for divorce charging me with a number of transgressions (mostly infidelity with a number of men and women). She claims to have proof yet none of these things have happened!!! She has created a fantasy life for me and I am being punished for things which take place only in her head. What can I do?
 
Not much. Pray, and talk to your priest. If there is no proof, because you haven’t done those things, you have no reason to be afraid. I am sorry that your wife is filing for divorce. Has she always had mental problems?
 
Not much. Pray, and talk to your priest. If there is no proof, because you haven’t done those things, you have no reason to be afraid. I am sorry that your wife is filing for divorce. Has she always had mental problems?
Approx 6 months ago our doctor recommended a “mental screening”. She refused. I AM AFRAID! She needs help and refuses to accept it. I am 72, she is 68. Our 42nd anniversary is in a couple of weeks.
 
Go back to her doctor and tell him/her what’s going on and ask for the doctor’s advice. It very well could be that there is a mental issue going on here. Also, do you have any adult children who might be willing to step in and help out. Maybe go with you to the doctor to corroborate what’s going on (or maybe to take your wife to a follow up appointment)?

I will say a prayer for you and your wife.
 
I am so sorry that you are going through this. As a full time Caregiver to my Alzheimer’s diseased wife, I can relate to the mental and emotional stress you are experiencing.
Let’s see what we can do about getting some help here…

First of all I agree with others that you need to enlist the help of both a doctor and a Lawyer…Especially if she has engaged a lawyer…
That said, I would caution that you might not want to talk to a divorce lawyer…but rather an “elder care” Lawyer. I say this simply because the two specialties work from very different mindsets and a “divorce lawyer” might not be inclined to recognize an respond appropriately to the real issues involved. A Lawyer that specializes in “Elder care” issues etc. might be more likely to recognize this issue for what it is and then to respond in the most appropriate manner.
Most likely he will be able to get a hold of her attorney and give him a heads up that there are other things going on…that need to be addressed before he gets too involved with the divorce issue.

Check locally and see if there is a Council on Aging, or Senior Services in your area. Contact them. They will be able to steer and help you.

It appears that your wife does need to have a full medical and psych work-up done. One of the things you might need to look into is having her hospitalized against her will. This is usually a short time…48 hours or 72 hours…and varies from place to place then the court becomes involved as to whether she should remain in hospital or not.

Of course these are all things that you will cover with your attorney, her doctor etc.

Best of luck and My thoughts and prayers are with you. (If you’d like to talk privately you can PM me…)

Let us know how things are going.

Peace
James
 
+1 on getting a lawyer. Don’t know about other things but things are never easy just because you’re innocent.
 
Approx 6 months ago our doctor recommended a “mental screening”. She refused. I AM AFRAID! She needs help and refuses to accept it. I am 72, she is 68. Our 42nd anniversary is in a couple of weeks.
Wow. With the weird accusations and the doctor’s opinion on top of it, I don’t think dementia is out of the question whatsoever. When my mom started with her dementia, she accused all sorts of people she had known forever of stealing stuff. She took offense at things that never would have offended her. Paranoia and emotional lability are not uncommon symptoms in early dementia. What is worse (in terms of your issue) is that she sounded entirely sane when she was saying all this stuff. Her attorney may have no idea that she is a bit off her rocker.

Any chance you can find an attorney who does both elder law and divorce law? This sounds like a very sticky problem, and one with answers that would depend very much on the jurisdiction. I would not want to venture into this with anyone governmental until you have your own counsel. There are some great people in public service, but there have been some horror stories, too. If they get a governmental guardian instead of you appointed for your wife, things could go very badly. Don’t delay, get right on this.

The ray of hope is that there are things other than primary dementia that can cause paranoia and emotional lability in a 68 year old–things that are treatable. A urinary tract infection or a bad medication interaction can cause those symptoms, and can certainly make them worse in a dementia patient. In someone of her age, the other symptoms she might previously have had with a UTI also might be absent, so she might not believe she could possibly have any such thing. I really hope you can get her seen by a physician.
 
Approx 6 months ago our doctor recommended a “mental screening”. She refused. I AM AFRAID! She needs help and refuses to accept it. I am 72, she is 68. Our 42nd anniversary is in a couple of weeks.
Oh my, I am so terribly sorry you have to go through this. You sound like a very good man who loves his wife. God obviously has put a humongus challenge on you. But take heart, (as much as this probably is no consolation right now), God will always help us through our obstacles. Turn to Him in prayer for strenght and guidance. Also, if possible, please try and find some face to face support for yourself. Perhaps your priest could recommend something. This is a big burden and hopfully you will find some people in your town to help you

CM
 
Wow. With the weird accusations and the doctor’s opinion on top of it, I don’t think dementia is out of the question whatsoever. When my mom started with her dementia, she accused all sorts of people she had known forever of stealing stuff. She took offense at things that never would have offended her. Paranoia and emotional lability are not uncommon symptoms in early dementia. What is worse (in terms of your issue) is that she sounded entirely sane when she was saying all this stuff. Her attorney may have no idea that she is a bit off her rocker.

Any chance you can find an attorney who does both elder law and divorce law? This sounds like a very sticky problem, and one with answers that would depend very much on the jurisdiction. I would not want to venture into this with anyone governmental until you have your own counsel. There are some great people in public service, but there have been some horror stories, too. If they get a governmental guardian instead of you appointed for your wife, things could go very badly. Don’t delay, get right on this.

The ray of hope is that there are things other than primary dementia that can cause paranoia and emotional lability in a 68 year old–things that are treatable. A urinary tract infection or a bad medication interaction can cause those symptoms, and can certainly make them worse in a dementia patient. In someone of her age, the other symptoms she might previously have had with a UTI also might be absent, so she might not believe she could possibly have any such thing. I really hope you can get her seen by a physician.
👍👍

A great Post EJ…

Peace
James
 
Golf Zulu,
I hope that things have gone OK today, and that our posts have been useful.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace
James
 
Thanks to all for the prayers and posts.

I brought my wife to a Perpetual Adoration Chapel last night. I hope it had some affect on her. I asked her to accompany me to a “place where I had found comfort” but didn’t explain what it was. After a bit of back and forth, she agreed. She appeared to doze off and on during most of the time we spent there, but when you’re only a few feet from the Body and Blood of Jesus, who knows what can happen. Perhaps a sleeping mind is more open.

Please keep your prayers coming. All of you are in my prayers of thanksgiving.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top