Farmers tortured and killed in South Africa

• Thread starter Thread starter Peebo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been like that for a very long time. We have quite a few Rhodesian refugees here.

No doubt the people being killed are innocent, but could it be that whites are being targeted because of past grievances. Murder, torture and taking land without compensation doesn’t seem like a fair way to solve the problem of past colonialism. Could something like this happen elsewhere?

You can’t excuse torture and such but South Africa just plainly has a big crime problem, probably a high murder rate. I listened to a reggae singer, Lucky Dub, he was from there, drove a fancy car and was murdered. So, I think a big part of the problem is an existing crime problem that affects many.

Just for the record, if one is curious on South Africa, I follow a few folks on twitter over this just like I am able to follow a few others on other areas of the world, say Venezuela. If one reads enough, possibly, one can obtain an understanding of what is going on.

Last edited:
Rhodesia.

And SA is already in a death spiral. I still have relatives there. I’ve been trying to convince them to get out but it it’s difficult. In addition to the hardship of abandoning ones home, it’s legally and economically difficult.

It’s not immigration that’s so difficult. It’s emigration. It costs roughly $25k US to emigrate from SA. That’s not even counting what it costs to immigrate into another country. Or the cost of moving belongings, career sacrifices, etc.

taking land without compensation
The present black population of South Africa arrived in about 1820 as the result of a southern migration. The dutch had been there already since 1653.

Most of the erstwhile histories of SA state the same facts, but interpret them differently. There is no question, for instance, that the original inhabitants of much of SA were displaced by newcomers, both black and white. Some areas into which whites (or blacks) moved were lightly populated. Some were not.

In modern retellings, the only “colonists” who are condemned as not belonging there are the whites, and the black tribes are considered one “people”, which they were not. But that’s the history of colonialism as written today. Tomorrow it might be different depending on the politics of the book writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back