N
Naga
Guest
I just learned that both Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are considered “fast days,” as opposed to simply “abstinence days.” It is my understanding that fast days prescribe eating one normal meal, and two smaller meals that do not add up to one normal meal. However, I am having some confusion with the specifics of what this entails, and I am not sure if I am complying with them.
I’m not sure I understand what constitutes a “small meal,” nor am I sure how to “add up” the meals.
On a normal (i.e. non-fast) day, I generally only eat two meals. Breakfast generally consists of a bowl of bland cereal, and maybe some fruit. Dinner consists of a normal American dinner (a main course and 1-3 side dishes.)
By the standards of the other people in my family, my “normal” breakfast is already considered “small.” Then there is the fact that I generally don’t eat a lunch. So, for example, if I followed my “normal” routine today, I would be eating two “normal meals” by my standards, though others would likely consider it to be one normal meal and one small meal.
I just learned about these specifics, so I have already eaten my “normal” breakfast, and I had intended to eat a normal dinner tonight with my family. My concern is that due to the fact that these two meals would be considered “normal” to me, if I eat the dinner I had planned to eat, that I would be committing a mortal sin by not fasting today.
Can anyone provide me with some (name removed by moderator)ut or advice here?
I’m not sure I understand what constitutes a “small meal,” nor am I sure how to “add up” the meals.
On a normal (i.e. non-fast) day, I generally only eat two meals. Breakfast generally consists of a bowl of bland cereal, and maybe some fruit. Dinner consists of a normal American dinner (a main course and 1-3 side dishes.)
By the standards of the other people in my family, my “normal” breakfast is already considered “small.” Then there is the fact that I generally don’t eat a lunch. So, for example, if I followed my “normal” routine today, I would be eating two “normal meals” by my standards, though others would likely consider it to be one normal meal and one small meal.
I just learned about these specifics, so I have already eaten my “normal” breakfast, and I had intended to eat a normal dinner tonight with my family. My concern is that due to the fact that these two meals would be considered “normal” to me, if I eat the dinner I had planned to eat, that I would be committing a mortal sin by not fasting today.
Can anyone provide me with some (name removed by moderator)ut or advice here?