Fast Facts on False Teachings-Ch 14 Roman Catholicism

• Thread starter Thread starter michaelhamilton
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michaelhamilton

My sister-in-law sent me the article from the subject above by Ron Carlson/Ed Decker (Harvest House Publishers). Does anyone a point by point rebuttal? Is Karl Keating’s book a good response? Jeff Cavins video discusson with a Protestant? Any help would be appreciated. God Bless.

I can’t help you if I don’t know the arguments. 🤷 A link, maybe?

🙂 Tim, I don’t have the book. She just sent me Chapter 14 that she printed out…Thanks.

Then post the main arguments, and I’ll see what I can do.

So, is this the usual evangelical Protestant boilerplate, “simplified” for popular consumption?

Google searched the title of the book, got this, among others …

Reviews of the book at amazon are here
amazon.com/review/product/0736912142/ref=cm_cr_pr_redirect

The second review down caught my attention -
I’m sure it sounds all good and dandy to those out there who aren’t well versed in such matters, but it truly is poor scholarship.
The error that angered me; the one that made me most upset, was their charactarization of the roman catholic church. For example, they clam that “In the cathedral of Quito, the largest Catholic Church in Equador, you will see in the center of the alter a crucifix with Marry hanging on the cross, shedding her blood for your sins. Mary, not Jesus!”
It’s not mary who is being crucified there, lol, in place of christ. the statue is of a woman saint, who was crucified later for her faith in christ. …
This kind of error. This basic kind of error, really shows you how poor their scholarship really is.
A little further down, there is a bit more on this subject from our very own catholic.com, though in discussion about a different video from an evangelical Protestant source -
Mary Crucified?
The original release of Catholicism: Crisis Of Faith showed a statue depicting a woman on a crucifix. The statue was said to be located in the cathedral
of Quito, Ecuador. The narrator explained that Catholics have so confused the role of Mary in redemption, equating her work with her Son’s, that they believe she, too, suffered for their sins.
But the confusion resides not in the Catholic Church but in the minds of McCarthy and the video’s producers. The Most Rev. Antonio Arregui, Auxiliary Bishop of Quito, certified that the statue in question is not in the city’s cathedral but in a monastery in Quito. More important, the woman depicted is not Mary but a young woman martyr, Santa Liberata. She is said to have been the daughter of a Portuguese prince. “Her father wished to marry her to a non-Christian and corrupt prince,” explains Bishop Arregui. “When she refused, her father ordered that she be crucified.” McCarthy was made aware of this grotesque blunder, but he admits it was still in the video as late as 21 months after its initial release.
The fact that such an outlandish claim—that Mary, too, was crucified—appeared in the original version at all shows McCarthy’s sloppy scholarship.
From catholic.com/library/Exposing_Catholicism.asp

And a bit more here
catholic.com/thisrock/1993/9305fea1.asp

wiki on one of the authors, Ed Decker. FWIW.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Decker

at first blush, it certainly seems that there is at least some reason to have doubts about the scholarship of the book.

🙂 Thanks Folks for the help. I did not think about Amazon.com and Wiki references. These are readily available…I’ll work on getting Ch 14 on RC to a link. It might be nice to write a review of CH 14 and post to Amazon.com.

My sister-in-law sent me the article from the subject above by Ron Carlson/Ed Decker (Harvest House Publishers). Does anyone a point by point rebuttal? Is Karl Keating’s book a good response? Jeff Cavins video discusson with a Protestant? Any help would be appreciated. God Bless.

My Evangelical sister gave me a CD titled “Roman Catholicism in the Light of Scripture” by Ron Carlson. After reading the replies you already received, it sounds very much like the book. I am hoping to find a rebuttal to this misrepresentation of our faith. Several of Carlson’s CDs are handed out at the King’s Bible Ministry booth at the NJ State Fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back