Fasting for Diabetics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Seachange
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Seachange

Guest
Are there any suggestions as to how diabetics may fast on the days it is required by the Church?
 
I am type 2, as is a former Priest. I discussed this with him after I became insulin dependent. We are exempt from the fast due to medical conditions. But not Abstaining from meat since we can balance our glucose levels without meat.

Pax Christi.

And good luck with your diabetes!
 
One might not be able to fast from food in order to maintain healthy blood sugar levels, but there are other things to do.

Eating more vegetables, especially the ones you might not like so much,

Eating more ‘plainly’. Same good food and portions only served without an ‘extra’. Or eating (on Friday) something like 3 oz. of plain poached chicken breast with steamed green beans served only with pepper and a tiny bit of salt, and some sweet potato either oven baked or mashed only with a bit of broth.

Buying good food but buying the generic brands or sales. . .and putting the money ‘saved’ into a Rice bowl or other Lenten savings to donate at Easter.

If one is comfortable financially, donating extra on the Fridays of Lent to your parish’s food bank, school, or other necessary projects as your pastor may request.

Eating regular food and meals but getting up 15 or 30 minutes earlier in order to pray. Can either pray all at once (a rosary or two) in the morning, or break up and use say 10 minutes before each meal to say extra prayers for the intentions of Pope Benedict, or for world peace, etc.

In Lent we often focus on the ‘fasting’, but there are three components which Catholics should do in Lent (and always) --fasting, prayer, and alms.

If one of those is not possible for a good reason (like diabetes), one can do more with one (or both) of the other two components.
 
I am type 2, as is a former Priest. I discussed this with him after I became insulin dependent. We are exempt from the fast due to medical conditions. But not Abstaining from meat since we can balance our glucose levels without meat.

Pax Christi.

And good luck with your diabetes!
I’ll go alone with you with in the points you bring to light along with the priest…however only to a point. An insulin dependent Diabetic is not restricted any time during Lent abstaining from consuming meat including Good Friday if at all possible.

This of course implies that an elderly person or a Diabetic lives poorly on a fixed Social Service (Welfare) check monthly. I am a diabetic in need of over 60 pills daily and both types of Insulin 8 times a day on a strict basis. I also struggle with numerous terminal health problems including pancreatic cancer. If I can avoid eating meat I will make the utmost effort and sacrifice. But; I can make no guarantees.

Another important issue to take into consideration whether someone is ill or healthy during Lent is that its not always about abstaining from something.
Lent also entails taking something up. Enriching your prayer life, making a special effort out of the norm to be extra nice to someone. I’m sure we can all think of other tasks to put on this lists.

Peace
Chris
 
Are there any suggestions as to how diabetics may fast on the days it is required by the Church?
they follow their medical plan to manage their diabetes and are not bound by the fasting laws, although for me and most diabetics whose sugar is usually under control, observing that rule for 2 days is not a problem. No one with a health condition that forbade fasting has ever been bound by those laws. for most diabetics who are sincere about adhering to their diet and diabetes managment plan, they are already fasting, as in exerting conscious discipline over what they eat and when, exercise and other aspects of daily life. When this consciousness is bolstered by intention, and by prayer and works of mercy it takes on the penitential characteristic.
 
Thank you for the suggestions. I was aware of being exempt but wish to participate with the whole Church at least in some way on these special days.

Speaking of prayer, I have a booklet for The Holy Cloak Novena in honour of St. Joseph. I’ve never prayed it because I can’t figure it out. It has Offerings I and II, then Prayers I-VI, followed by Supplications, then Invocations I and II, the Litany to St. Joseph then the Closing Prayer of the Holy Cloak.

Do I pray Offering I, Prayer I, Supplications, Invocation I, Litany and Closing, then the next day Offering II, Prayer II, Supplications, Invocation II, Litany and Closing? Do I alternate Offering Prayers like Offering I, Prayer I the first day, Offering I, Prayer II the next till I get to Prayer VI, then start Offering II, Prayer I etc, choosing Invocation I with Offering I and Invocation II with Offering II? Or do I pray all of them every day? Anybody familiar with this Novena?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top