Fasting

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lucky_Scrunchy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lucky_Scrunchy

Guest
I recently heard (and I can’t remember the source) that the apostles/St. Paul only fasted during the day but ate normally at night; is this true?

I’m fasting for the health recovery of my dad and want to do it right. Any suggestions would be received with gratitude.
 
I’m fasting for the health recovery of my dad and want to do it right.
I’m not sure if there is a right way to fast, especially considering your intention. In current Catholic practice for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, a fast is considered two smaller meals that don’t equal a full meal and one regular meal. You could, of course, cut out a meal or two entirely if you wish, or not eat all day and only at night.

I suppose you could also abstain from meat.

+Prayers for you Father’s recovery.+
 
I can’t be of any assistance, sorry. I really just want to subscribe to the thread in the hopes that someone will post a great book on the topic and I’ll notice.

A couple of months ago I began fasting for the spiritual welfare of my child. I go to adoration in the morning directing my prayer for the benefit of my daughter and those in most need of His Mercy. I ask for His grace that I may successfully fast AND that He will look favorably upon my sacrifice and petition. Then I fast the rest of the day until the evening meal that we have as a family. I do this one day/week and have considered doing it a second day for another petition.

Every time I fix a meal for someone else during that part of the day, I repeat my petition and offering. Every time my tummy grumbles, I repeat. Every time I start trying to play tricks on my own mind by justifying why I really should be eating, I repeat. repeat . . . repeat . . . repeat . . .

I would really like a good book on the subject b/c I too wonder if I’m doing it rightly and would like some guidance.
 
Oh, and then I pray quite hard as I fill my plate for the evening meal. I don’t want to eat like a pig b/c I didn’t eat all day. It rather seems as if that would just kind of un do what I just did. I try hard to fill my plate with restraint and then stop there. Some days that’s not too hard and some days it’s the hardest part of the whole day!

I fasted like this for about a month b/f telling my husband. He has agreed not to tell my daughter or anyone else. I feel that that is a big part, too. Keeping it just to myself.
and the whole world wide web now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top