Fasting

• Thread starter Thread starter Chris_LaRock
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris_LaRock

How long should I gp without eating in order for it to be considered fasting? Does the length of time matter?

i have serious issues with fasting and scrupulosity…

talk to your spiritual advisor before fasting! thats my suggestion from experience

Well, the guidelines for fasting during Lent stipulate that there should be only one full meal, with two small meals (not to total one meal) if needed to maintain strength–I suppose if one has a physically grueling occupation, one meal a day might be a problem. You can always opt for less if you desire.

If it is not for lent or for another church requirement, it is up to you.
Chris LaRock:
How long should I gp without eating in order for it to be considered fasting? Does the length of time matter?

I have a cousin in prison for robbery, a friend who broke off contact with me when I tried to witness to him about his homosexuality being sinful, and a job where I’m exploited and treated poorly. I’ve been praying a lot on these issues - and a few more. I was wondering how I should go about fasting in order to help these situations.

What would you advise?

Chris LaRock:
I have a cousin in prison for robbery, a friend who broke off contact with me when I tried to witness to him about his homosexuality being sinful, and a job where I’m exploited and treated poorly. I’ve been praying a lot on these issues - and a few more. I was wondering how I should go about fasting in order to help these situations.

What would you advise?
If this is a devotional fast, you can pretty much call the shots. You might decide whether you will abstain from all food for a period of time, or perhaps, you might take only bread and water for a day . . . How about a “Daniel fast” – fruit only for a day or two.

Fasting is a pretty slippery subject. However one tries to define it, it slithers away . . .

I admire your good intentions. How about making it bread and water only on Friday (in honor of our Lord’s Passion)?

i’m not 100% sure what the exact Catholic stance in on fasting but the saints fasted and it can only be a good thing. i wouldnt go fast so long i would jeopordize my health. i know when i fast for someone i dont eat anything after dinner and go untill the next day untill lunch. i’m sure i can fast longer and i may do that in the future. for me when i fast i not only do it for God and the person but the reality is that when i am fasting i keep in rememberance more the person i am fasting for, praying more for them. i hope this helps. does anyone else fast or know more about Catholic fasting?

What would you advise?
I suggest the Chaplet of Divine Mercy (at 3pm if possible):
ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm

As for fasting you might want to start off slow at first. Instead of a coke with your meal have a sprite. Don’t salt your frys. Put butter on your bagel instead of cream cheese. Start giving up snacks. Try to fast on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Also I recommend a devotion to Our Lady:
catholic-church.org/grace/marian/3-hail-marys.htm
ewtn.com/library/Montfort/TRUEDEVO.HTM

Great ideas. I was afraid I’d do it wrong and it wouldn’t ‘count’.

Thanks. If you have any more ideas, I’m all ears. 👍

Chris LaRock:
Great ideas. I was afraid I’d do it wrong and it wouldn’t ‘count’.

Thanks. If you have any more ideas, I’m all ears. 👍
The Lord is a kind one who wouldn’t hold it against you. You could even offer up other things for them, such as giving up your favorite food, giving up television, or praying the Rosary. The Lord will see your sufferings for your intentions.

Tim 👍

40.png
twhicke:
The Lord is a kind one who wouldn’t hold it against you. You could even offer up other things for them, such as giving up your favorite food, giving up television, or praying the Rosary. The Lord will see your sufferings for your intentions.

Tim 👍
Without EWTN, I have very little reason to watch tv. LOL

I have a friend who will fast like what you describe. Sometimes he fasts from dairy, wheat, or other non-food areas. I’d never go as far as to cut myself or anything that wierd.

Chris LaRock:
Without EWTN, I have very little reason to watch tv. LOL

I have a friend who will fast like what you describe. Sometimes he fasts from dairy, wheat, or other non-food areas. I’d never go as far as to cut myself or anything that wierd.
I would definately NOT recommend cutting yourself or something that is harmful to your health. In fact, I’d recommend AGAINST it :mad:

But FYI, just so you know, EWTN is available to watch online for free at their website, www.ewtn.com

If you have a broadband connection, you might be interested in this.

40.png
twhicke:
I would definately NOT recommend cutting yourself or something that is harmful to your health. In fact, I’d recommend AGAINST it :mad:

But FYI, just so you know, EWTN is available to watch online for free at their website, www.ewtn.com

If you have a broadband connection, you might be interested in this.
Cutting myself would be dumb, I agree. Just saying I’m not willing to go as far as some extremist Christians go.

Maybe I’ll just purchase dvds of the shows I like. Bishop Sheen still airs on the non-Catholic Christian station TCT.

(haven’t eaten since noon. good start.)

cutting yourself wouldnt be a good idea since it is a huge health concern and it would mutilate your body. we are taught that the body houses the holy spirit so we are to be good to our bodies.

Your fast can be anything from cutting out food to forgoing desert. It’s not good to make it a compatition or anything, that defeats the purpose. Faithfulness is what the Lord seeks. I remember hearing a brother speak about painful penances, he said to give someone a smile probably is a better one than one of those.

I don’t know, but if its great fast you want to do, it might be a better penance to do a modest fast.

I was thinking that there were rules for how to fast. I’m silly, I know. :o

Chris LaRock:
I was thinking that there were rules for how to fast. I’m silly, I know. :o
Your situation would be determined individually. For Catholics, on obligatory fasts, there ARE rules. Here they are (pretty basic and not very hard):

CURRENT CHURCH REGULATIONS ON FASTING AND ABSTINENCE

Fast: The law of fast prescribes that only one full meal a day be taken; but it does not forbid taking some nourishment at two other times during the day. The two smaller meals should be sufficient to maintain strength according to each one’s needs, but together they should not equal another full meal. Eating between meals is not permitted, but liquids, including ordinary, homogenized milk and fruit juices, are allowed. Malted milks, milk shakes, and the like are not included in the term “milk.” All those from eighteen years of age to the beginning of their sixtieth year are bound by the law of fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Abstinence: The law of abstinence forbids the eating of meat, but not eggs, milk products, nor condiments of any kind, even though made from animal fat. Forbidden are the flesh meat of warm blooded animals and all parts of such animals. This does not include meat juices, broths, soups, lards, gravies, sauces, animal fats, and liquid foods made from meat. Also allowed are fish and all such cold-blooded animals such as frogs, shell-fish, clams, turtles, oysters, crabs, and lobsters. All those who have completed their fourteenth year are bound to the law of abstinence from meat on Ash Wednesday and on all the Friday’s of Lent.

The substantial observance of the laws of fast and abstinence is a serious obligation. When a proportionately serious reason exists, there is surely no sin in departing from these norms. Thus, one may very well be excused by sickness or any infirmity which requires that one eat meat even on Friday during Lent, by the need to take one’s meals in common, by travel when it is not possible to obtain readily permissible foods, by great poverty, etc.

(Source: The Pastoral Companion: A Canon Law Handbook for Catholic Ministry, Franciscan Herald Press: Chicago, Illinois, 1995, pp. 292-96).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back